Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I came across an article on Telegraph's website claiming that some social science departments in universities don't really do much science at all. The writer, a teacher at LSE, basically says that some departments are caught up in a modern 'disease' and just use profound-sounding language about discourses or quote obscure phrases from contemporary thinkers. As a result, the actual study of society gets lost somewhere along the way, and students only need to learn to play on words to succeed in their studies.

Here's the link:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...2Ftefsoc28.xml

I was just wondering if anyone has opinions or experience about this. Maybe someone has come across such 'bogus' departments. Is this just an isolated opinion or does this reflect views of many academics, what do you think?

ReputationRep:
    Oh come on. If you're going to claim that, at least back it up with some form of proof.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not claiming anything myself, I was just wondering if anyone knows anything about the subject. As a future student of sociology myself it's kind of interesting to read someone basically dismissing a lot of the work in the subject as nonsense. It's true though that the writer doesn't give a lot of proof, I guess he's just relying on his authority.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M.M.)
    I'm not claiming anything myself, I was just wondering if anyone knows anything about the subject. As a future student of sociology myself it's kind of interesting to read someone basically dismissing a lot of the work in the subject as nonsense. It's true though that the writer doesn't give a lot of proof, I guess he's just relying on his authority.
    Yeah, I was talking to him, and not you
    He's just talking crap for the sake of being controversial.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Blazed)
    He's just talking crap for the sake of being controversial.
    That was the impression that I got as well.

ReputationRep:
    I think part of the reason he (the LSE prof) may feel that the Social Sciences are moving away from the 'science' is because of all the interdisciplinary work being done. It's exciting for me because Sociology is absorbing a lot of the theoretical work that is typically done in Literary studies and Philosophy. There is now a lot of cross over between the humanities and the social sciences. When this occurs, a lot of the work being done tends to be on the theoretical side and moves away from the very technical and quantitative studies. Personally, I'm all for this. I think that a lot of the work that has previously been confined to humanities (esp. literature, history and philosophy) can be aptly applied to the social sciences and enhance the work being done. With a broader theoretical framework, the techincal work can be better interpreted and applied in a more useful context.
    I think the influence of 'postmodernism' also contributes. He (LSE prof) probably isn't a postmodernist, so part of his problems are with this ideology in general.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 16, 2004

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.