Turn on thread page Beta

Treatment of Prisoners in Iraq! watch

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/mid...st/3672901.stm

This is pretty shocking. Is this a one off or more widereaching. What will be the consequences, retaliation in the form of terrorism?

ReputationRep:
    They could cost some soldiers/foreign civilians their lives. This is just the kind of thing terrorists can use to enlist more to their cause.

I liked this bit:
    "One of the suspended soldiers, Staff Sergeant Chip Frederick, said the way the army ran the prison had led to the abuse.

"We had no support, no training whatsoever. And I kept asking my chain of command for certain things... like rules and regulations," he told CBS. "It just wasn't happening."

He said he did not see a copy of the Geneva Convention rules for handling prisoners of war until after he was charged."

Yeah, like he didn't know that it was wrong. You don't need orders or a copy of the Geneva convention to tell you that treating prisoners like toys is wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Dispicable.

ReputationRep:
    Its dreadful
    "I don't think you can compare the two. Saddam Hussein's prisoners were not only tortured but executed. It was much worse than what is there now." - that makes it ok then right :rolleyes:

"The graphic images include one of a hooded and naked prisoner standing on a box with wires attached to his genitals. CBS said the prisoner was told that if he fell off the box, he would be electrocuted."

I'm extremely worried they need a copy of the geneva convention to work out that this isnt ok.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)

"The graphic images include one of a hooded and naked prisoner standing on a box with wires attached to his genitals. CBS said the prisoner was told that if he fell off the box, he would be electrocuted."
    His hands. Not his genitals.

ReputationRep:
    I admit what happened was wrong and not what you expect from a country that claims it has freed the people, bus many war crimes that have been comitted by the iraqis are just as bad if not worse, and we forgetting the reporters thaken hostage, and some killed, for no reason. It has to be looked at from a wider perspective.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Erm... read the article.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louise_1988)
    I admit what happened was wrong and not what you expect from a country that claims it has freed the people, bus many war crimes that have been comitted by the iraqis are just as bad if not worse, and we forgetting the reporters thaken hostage, and some killed, for no reason. It has to be looked at from a wider perspective.
    Let me close my eyes and enter an imaginary world.

I am a US soldier in charge of guarding a bunch of Iraqi prisoners. I switch on the TV and see my dead comrades dragged from their vehicles and beaten with a car jack. I watch as their corpses are mutilated.

Do I offer the prisoners in my charge a jumbo pack of Oreos or do I find myself tempted to reach for a blow torch and pair of pliers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    Erm... read the article.
    The picture shows cables attached to his hands.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Louise_1988)
    Two wrongs....

It amazes me that not only did they do these things but they were stupid enough to think having themselves in the photo's mugging at the camera was a good idea.

ReputationRep:
    The picture shows cables attached to his hands.
    Only you could try to undermine this by claiming that the article is lying.

ReputationRep:
    Only you could try to undermine this by claiming that the article is lying.
    If I take a photograph of my ass it remains my ass regardless of me trying to tell everyone it's a photograph of my left thigh.

ReputationRep:
    If I take a photograph of my ass it remains my ass regardless of me trying to tell everyone it's a photograph of my left thigh.
    Where do the electrodes go after coming off of is hands?

ans= you don't know because you can't see.

ReputationRep:
    Where do the electrodes go after coming off of is hands?

ans= you don't know because you can't see.
    If I can't, neither can you.

ReputationRep:
    Let me close my eyes and enter an imaginary world.

I am a US soldier in charge of guarding a bunch of Iraqi prisoners. I switch on the TV and see my dead comrades dragged from their vehicles and beaten with a car jack. I watch as their corpses are mutilated.

Do I offer the prisoners in my charge a jumbo pack of Oreos or do I find myself tempted to reach for a blow torch and pair of pliers?
    I've seen some of the other pictures that aren't shown in this article, and it looks like the US soldiers are having fun. It's like they're taking souvenir pictures to show to their friends when they get home ("just look what we made those silly iraqis do. HAHAHA!!!). Hardly looks like a misguided act of revenge.

ReputationRep:

What would CBS gain by lying?

Nothing. Someone obviously knew that they were attached to his genitals, and the fact that you are not condemning this is utterly grotesque.

ReputationRep:
    If you can't see where the wires are going, you can't decide that they are or are not connected to his genitals. So, you'll just have to assume the article is telling the truth.

ReputationRep:
    I just quoted the article.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamlan)
    I've seen some of the other pictures that aren't shown in this article, and it looks like the US soldiers are having fun. It's like they're taking souvenir pictures to show to their friends when they get home ("just look what we made those silly iraqis do. HAHAHA!!!). Hardly looks like a misguided act of revenge.
    Well, let me be brutally frank about this. That is humiliation. It is wrong. But it isn't torture to my mind.

Anybody that confuses the two should be forced to strip naked and have his photograph taken and then have his toe nails pulled out with a pair of pliers. I defy anyone not to recognize the difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamlan)
    If you can't see where the wires are going, you can't decide that they are or are not connected to his genitals. So, you'll just have to assume the article is telling the truth.
    I don't have to assume anything. Do you assume you are reading the truth every time you read a newspaper story?

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.