Treatment of Prisoners in Iraq! Watch

This discussion is closed.
jamlan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
Well, let me be brutally frank about this. That is humiliation. It is wrong. But it isn't torture to my mind.

Anybody that confuses the two should be forced to strip naked and have his photograph taken and then have his toe nails pulled out with a pair of pliers. I defy anyone not to recognize the difference.
There are different levels and types of torture. There is physical torture but this mental. Depending how long they made him stand on the box it could be physical as well.
Anyway, it still contravenes the Geneva convention.
jamlan
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I don't have to assume anything. Do you assume you are reading the truth every time you read a newspaper story?
no, but i don't assume it's a lie
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Well, let me be brutally frank about this. That is humiliation. It is wrong. But it isn't torture to my mind.

Anybody that confuses the two should be forced to strip naked and have his photograph taken and then have his toe nails pulled out with a pair of pliers. I defy anyone not to recognize the difference.
I think it could be perceived as torture in other cultural backgrounds.
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by jamlan)
There are different levels and types of torture. There is physical torture but this mental. Depending how long they made him stand on the box it could be physical as well.
Anyway, it still contravenes the Geneva convention.
I don't think it does. The Geneva convention (I think I'm right in saying this) relates to the treatment of enemy combatant POWs. In other words the treatment of prisoners from an enemy Army. A regular army that is. Strictly speaking it does not apply to insurgents.
jamlan
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I don't think it does. The Geneva convention (I think I'm right in saying this) relates to the treatment of enemy combatant POWs. In other words the treatment of prisoners from an enemy Army. A regular army that is. Strictly speaking it does not apply to insurgents.
Okay, to be honest i'm not entirely sure either but, i think it covers civilians as well. I remember hearing on the news that it is an occupying forces responsibility to maintain a certain standard of living for civilians, including water, electric... So i'm not sure, but i would have thought if they considered the civilian population in that way they would also include something about the direct treatment of civilians by soldiers.
yawn1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
We shall see how this all pans out. My guess is that it is only the tip of the iceberg.

Geneva convention or human rights - both have been violated by a country that went to war with a country that it accused of doing the same things it now has apparently done itself :mad:

Why does this not surprise me?
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Bigcnee)
What would CBS gain by lying?

Nothing. Someone obviously knew that they were attached to his genitals, and the fact that you are not condemning this is utterly grotesque.
What do you mean they didn't condemn this? The soldiers involved are being court marshalled. Hardly an act of approval.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
What do you mean they didn't condemn this? The soldiers involved are being court marshalled. Hardly an act of approval.
I think he's referring to you not condemning it....
yawn1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

The White House is being very shy about making ANY comments, and according to News sources here, with the exception of the Baltimore ?gazette or some such there is no press coverage of the events in the US!
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
as usual Howard, you are the soothing wet blanket on the raging fire of sensationalist guesswork.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Okay, to be honest i'm not entirely sure either but, i think it covers civilians as well. I remember hearing on the news that it is an occupying forces responsibility to maintain a certain standard of living for civilians, including water, electric... So i'm not sure, but i would have thought if they considered the civilian population in that way they would also include something about the direct treatment of civilians by soldiers.
But these are enemy insurgents. They're not regular soldiers. They're not civilians either. You give up your rights as a citizen the day you decide to booby trap bridges.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
But these are enemy insurgents. They're not regular soldiers. They're not civilians either. You give up your rights as a citizen the day you decide to booby trap bridges.
and then run home to your family and pretend to be a nice guy really.
yawn1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I am ashamed that this country is in coalition with the likes of the US.

For the soldiers to act in this inhuman manner signifies that these sorts of things are not actively discouraged by the powers-that-be.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by yawn1)
The White House is being very shy about making ANY comments, and according to News sources here, with the exception of the Baltimore ?gazette or some such there is no press coverage of the events in the US!
Well, on CNN last night General so-and-so (I don't remember his name) said that there was going to be a court marshal. Unless he's changed his mind then I imagine that's still the case.
jamlan
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
No, you don't.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by yawn1)

For the soldiers to act in this inhuman manner signifies that these sorts of things are not actively discouraged by the powers-that-be.
Well, I've got news for you. It looks like our forces aren't whiter than white either.
yawn1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
OK - if they are not combatants but civilians, have they had the benefit of a trial that says they are guilty of the things you are accusing them of?
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
No, you don't.
Whatever.
Lawz-
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by yawn1)

Thats similar to saying that since a priest in the UK was recently arrested for murder, that the church does nothing to discourage it.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by yawn1)
OK - if they are not combatants but civilians, have they had the benefit of a trial that says they are guilty of the things you are accusing them of?
They are insurgents. No trial required.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How many uni open days have you been to/did you go to?

0 (124)
27.68%
1 (68)
15.18%
2 (69)
15.4%
3 (73)
16.29%
4 (33)
7.37%
5 (30)
6.7%
6 (15)
3.35%
7+ (36)
8.04%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise