Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    did u guys hear how one of the involved soldiers said that none of his seniors told him how to treat the prisoners ... interesting .... so thats y they decided to strip em get them to immitate sex positions ... retards.

ReputationRep:
    I must say that the british troops in Basra have done a splendid job thus far, theyve made the effort to be friendly and less intimidating and to win the hearts of the ppl there. The Americans have no clue how to do this, and now becoz of those few idiots the british work may be undone ... and they will be targeted in revenge too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    These people aren't devoid of emotion, they have plenty of that in the form of hate. They don't appear to have much empathy, compassion or guilt though.
    Very often good soldiers don't have much in the way of these characteristics. This is often what makes them good soldiers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Babygal)
    u mite wanna check on that one, more like the other way round, you seem to think that the americans are angels!
    And you seem to think they're all devils.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    yes its very important to point out here that what happened here as bad as it was is the exception rather than the rule. At least it was picked up and action was taken against this by the americans.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HasanB)
    yes its very important to point out here that what happened here as bad as it was is the exception rather than the rule. At least it was picked up and action was taken against this by the americans.
    Thankyou. Nice to meet someone who isn't a kneejerk reactionist who automatically assumes the worst.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Americans are daft if nothing else.

But it is though no fault of their own- it is because of their nationalistic ego and especially because of the progranda fed to them by their govt. There always has to be a bad guy (and the Americans ofcourse are the good guys)… and surprise surprise, lets pick arabs. I too used to like comics but that was 10 years ago… this superhero-villaian thing is sooo tired.

ReputationRep:
    I must say that the british troops in Basra have done a splendid job thus far, theyve made the effort to be friendly and less intimidating and to win the hearts of the ppl there. The Americans have no clue how to do this, and now becoz of those few idiots the british work may be undone ... and they will be targeted in revenge too.
    Unfortunately the controversy surrounding the deaths at the Deepcut Barracks suggests that our Army is not exactly perfect either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    Unfortunately the controversy surrounding the deaths at the Deepcut Barracks suggests that our Army is not exactly perfect either.
    true ... but then again whose army is perfect ?

ReputationRep:
    In some cases it may be true, but you have to remember some first hand evidences are the soldiers now wear full body armour and helmets, unlike the "unintimaditating" beret and shirt.

In some cases the show of power is respected than "heart and mind" tactics.

ReputationRep:
    true ... but then again whose army is perfect ?
    The army of God :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    The army of God :rolleyes:
    lol , but you get the point ... unfortunately the atmosphere of war creates such instances .. it is unacceptable and soldiers need to be trained on this aspect aswell, however it does happen ... in fact worse happens.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Babygal)
    when you're looking through the eyes of a muslim you know these things, not that you'll know anyway
    And what exactly is that supposed to mean.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    And what exactly is that supposed to mean.
    justifcation for sucide bombing prehaps, madness

ReputationRep:
    did u guys hear how one of the involved soldiers said that none of his seniors told him how to treat the prisoners ... interesting .... so thats y they decided to strip em get them to immitate sex positions ... retards.
    Thats nto what he said. He said what happened was the consequences of a lack of dicipline and regulations in the prision. The article doesnt say he was one of those who tortured Iraqis. The way I understood it he claimed that it would never have happened had the people in charge tried to controll their staff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mariam Safe)
    Americans are daft if nothing else.

But it is though no fault of their own- it is because of their nationalistic ego and especially because of the progranda fed to them by their govt. There always has to be a bad guy (and the Americans ofcourse are the good guys)… and surprise surprise, lets pick arabs. I too used to like comics but that was 10 years ago… this superhero-villaian thing is sooo tired.
    Read: "Americans are so stupid, they generalise and think that all arabs are the same!"

Dude, you are no better than the americans who cannot distinguish between an Arab and Bin Laden. Your idea of america is at best confused, at worst the same sort of generalisation you accuse the americans of following.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonatan)
    Read: "Americans are so stupid, they generalise and think that all arabs are the same!"

Dude, you are no better than the americans who cannot distinguish between an Arab and Bin Laden. Your idea of america is at best confused, at worst the same sort of generalisation you accuse the americans of following.
    stereotyping is one of man's serious errors....

I loved this quote from the BBC:

" In another, a female soldier, with a cigarette in her mouth, simulates holding a gun and pointing at a naked Iraqi's genitals. "

CHECK THE HORRIFIC TORTURE! A cigarette in her mouth! Pretending to hold a gun! (actually, in the pic, she looks like she's just pointing and giving a thumbs-up. although i dont really see that it makes much difference)

Also, the BBC says it's wires-on-genitals, but the Mirror goes with wires-on-hands.

Rosie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    I loved this quote from the BBC:

" In another, a female soldier, with a cigarette in her mouth, simulates holding a gun and pointing at a naked Iraqi's genitals. "

CHECK THE HORRIFIC TORTURE! A cigarette in her mouth! Pretending to hold a gun! (actually, in the pic, she looks like she's just pointing and giving a thumbs-up. although i dont really see that it makes much difference)

Also, the BBC says it's wires-on-genitals, but the Mirror goes with wires-on-hands.

Rosie
    Well, some ash from her cigarette might have fallen on the guy's *******. That would be agonizing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonatan)
    Harsh, but true. if you reread what i wrote you'll see that i meant americans are daft because of propagnda fed to them. I'm afraid there is absolutely no denying that the American media is seriously biased, and polls show this (an overwheming numbers of people for instance, thought the palestianians were oppressing the jews or even the palestianians had occupied jewish land). Over here, we've got very neutral sources of information and news; in america, they dont... it is not at all the case that they are born "stupid".

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.