Will my brain get full? Learning too much!

Watch
Da Di Doo
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
This may be the dumbest question I have ever asked, but I am studying so much. I am learning EVERYTHING in my textbook - stuff that is not mentioned in the specification because I'm paranoid that it might still come up.

Right now it's not hard at all. Everything is going into my brain, I'm understanding everything, the workload is perfect but I'm just worried if my brain will get too full of information. Is that even possible?
Da Di Doo
Rep:
?
(Original post by williamstranix)
You are a woman and so have a very limited brain capacity.
Who broke your heart?
SuperiorGenius
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
askew116
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Da Di Doo)
This may be the dumbest question I have ever asked, but I am studying so much. I am learning EVERYTHING in my textbook - stuff that is not mentioned in the specification because I'm paranoid that it might still come up.

Right now it's not hard at all. Everything is going into my brain, I'm understanding everything, the workload is perfect but I'm just worried if my brain will get too full of information. Is that even possible?
To inject some seriousness into this thread, our brains are not like a hard drive, with a specific capacity. We learn new information by making connections between synapses. The good news is that everyone has billions of synapses, and so the number of possible connections is practically infinite.

However, your capacity for learning will be affected by more mundane things, such as your mood, energy levels, hydration and the amount of time you've been studying etc. That's why standard advice is to keep eat healthily (oily fish is supposed to be good for your brain!), drink plenty of water, and take short but regular breaks.

Edit: It would make a novel excuse for not learning something/not doing homework..."But Miss, my brain was full!"
Ggmu!
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
:awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile
cole-slaw
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

This is both a long term and short term question.

In the short term its impossible to process more than a handful of ideas at once. For every hour you spend studying, you probably need an hour off to let you brain process the information. Good sleep is really important to a good memory, so your brain can file away the stuff you learnt the previous day. This is why staying up late to revise before an exam is a terrible idea. Not only will you not learn anything new, but your reduced sleep will mean that the next day you will have forgotten almost everything you have studied.

This is really important to remember come exam period!

In the long term, there is only so much information you can store in your brain, but it turns out to be a hell of a lot. If you don't use a piece of memory for a long time, it gets lost and eventually overwritten. So make sure you use, or at least think about, the really important stuff like the content of your degree to stop yourself forgetting it.

On the other hand, the less you think about useless information like who won the x-factor, the better, then you can free that space in your memory.
FreshGarbage
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Short term memory, holds 7+/-2 units of information at one time. Long term memory is pretty much unlimited. Obviously its more complicated than that but there is the general gist.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Da Di Doo
Rep:
?
I thumbed up all the serious answers as a thank you.
williamstranix
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by FreshGarbage)
Short term memory, holds 7+/-2 units of information at one time. Long term memory is pretty much unlimited. Obviously its more complicated than that but there is the general gist.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Your name really suits you! Although you should probably alter "Fresh" to "Stale"!
FreshGarbage
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Your name really suits you! Although you should probably alter "Fresh" to "Stale"!
That is so kind :L
username931319
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It's dyspeptic that the pedigree of what's considered "too much" is learning from a textbook, and non-specific information apropos to the subject.
Da Di Doo
Rep:
?
(Original post by AntisthenesDogger)
It's dyspeptic that the pedigree of what's considered "too much" is learning from a textbook, and non-specific information apropos to the subject.

(Original post by FreshGarbage)

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by cole-slaw)
This is both a long term and short term question.

In the short term its impossible to process more than a handful of ideas at once. For every hour you spend studying, you probably need an hour off to let you brain process the information. Good sleep is really important to a good memory, so your brain can file away the stuff you learnt the previous day. This is why staying up late to revise before an exam is a terrible idea. Not only will you not learn anything new, but your reduced sleep will mean that the next day you will have forgotten almost everything you have studied.

This is really important to remember come exam period!

In the long term, there is only so much information you can store in your brain, but it turns out to be a hell of a lot. If you don't use a piece of memory for a long time, it gets lost and eventually overwritten. So make sure you use, or at least think about, the really important stuff like the content of your degree to stop yourself forgetting it.

On the other hand, the less you think about useless information like who won the x-factor, the better, then you can free that space in your memory.

(Original post by askew116)
To inject some seriousness into this thread, our brains are not like a hard drive, with a specific capacity. We learn new information by making connections between synapses. The good news is that everyone has billions of synapses, and so the number of possible connections is practically infinite.

However, your capacity for learning will be affected by more mundane things, such as your mood, energy levels, hydration and the amount of time you've been studying etc. That's why standard advice is to keep eat healthily (oily fish is supposed to be good for your brain!), drink plenty of water, and take short but regular breaks.
I'm studying for 16 exams if that makes a difference so 11 textbooks (4 subjects, AS and A2).
askew116
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm studying for 16 exams if that makes a difference so 11 textbooks (4 subjects, AS and A2).
No it makes no difference. Just wait until you get to degree level, though!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (26)
14.53%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (50)
27.93%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (73)
40.78%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (25)
13.97%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
2.79%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed