Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
A101 - Referendums Amendment
Proposed by: The Hon. Green_Pink MP
Seconded by: MacDaddi, GoldenEmblem277, SuperUnknown17, Kittiara

Referendums Amendment

To add to the "Referendums" section of the Guidance Document as follows:

8) The House of Commons may not overturn a decision made in a referendum that has taken place within the last four parliamentary terms (including the current term).
And to re-number the later clauses accordingly.

Notes:

This amendment would codify the debate over whether it is too soon to propose legislation on a matter previously decided by a referendum, as was the case with the recently-passed Monarchy Abolition Bill. It also resolves the anomaly that within 4 terms of a referendum it may not be re-run but the result can simply be overruled by Parliament, and uses the precedent set within the Guidance Document of 4 terms being the length of absolute validity for a referendum result.
Green_Pink
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
An obvious enough Aye from me
Jean-Luc Picard
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
in real life that would be like 20 years, I'd prefer it were 2 terms (equivalent to 10 years)
MacDaddi
Badges: 15
Report 4 years ago
Aye, this will help a lot
Cryptographic
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Aye.
toronto353
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
An overwhelming aye from myself.
Saracen's Fez
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm happy with that. I believe the abolition referendum was 5 terms before the successful bill in any case.
The Legal Eagle
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Aye!
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Aye

Posted from TSR Mobile
aadam10
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Aye!!!
St. Brynjar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
definite aye
maddo
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jean-Luc Picard)
in real life that would be like 20 years, I'd prefer it were 2 terms (equivalent to 10 years)
I agree, 4 terms seems a lot, considering new members etc. may want to reopen debates.
Saracen's Fez
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Maybe 3 would be a compromise?
tehFrance
Report 4 years ago
I think it should be less, O133's suggestion of 3 seems good. I'll wait for the second reading.
Matthew_Lowson
Badges: 17
Report 4 years ago
I'm not sure that terms is the right way to go about it. - Term lengths aren't directly equal. We're going to have a seven month term this time round, but we can have a situation where elections can be called rather quickly.

My suggestion would be make it 18 months from the date of declaration of the result of the referendum so in the case of the Referendum on the Monarchy which was declared on June 1st 2012, it would need to be honoured until December 1st 2013.

Obviously circumstances can change, so what about allowing for a motion or bill which would override the referendum but put a 2/3 or 3/4 majority requirement on it????
Saracen's Fez
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Matthew_Lowson)
I'm not sure that terms is the right way to go about it. - Term lengths aren't directly equal. We're going to have a seven month term this time round, but we can have a situation where elections can be called rather quickly.

My suggestion would be make it 18 months from the date of declaration of the result of the referendum so in the case of the Referendum on the Monarchy which was declared on June 1st 2012, it would need to be honoured until December 1st 2013.

Obviously circumstances can change, so what about allowing for a motion or bill which would override the referendum but put a 2/3 or 3/4 majority requirement on it????
Providing the time-elapse clause was retained then that would be a good idea.
Mazzini
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Aye
Republic1
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'd support a shorter time frame, 2 or 3 terms.
RayApparently
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Shouldn't this be an amendment to the constitution? It's a rather fundamental change to the nature of referendums with regards to Parliament.

Of course, the author probably doesn't want to risk having to get a 2/3 majority.
Blue Meltwater
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by RayApparently)
Shouldn't this be an amendment to the constitution? It's a rather fundamental change to the nature of referendums with regards to Parliament.

Of course, the author probably doesn't want to risk having to get a 2/3 majority.
What's the difference between the Guidance Document and the Constitution?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (59)
15.13%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (38)
9.74%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (74)
18.97%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (59)
15.13%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (43)
11.03%
How can I be the best version of myself? (117)
30%

Watched Threads