Turn on thread page Beta

Should Smokers Lose The Right To Nhs Treatment? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonatan)
    I doubt the cost on the NHS due to damage to other people than the smokerts cost the NHS more than 4 times as much as the smokers themselves do.
    Thats not my point I doubt that it does but all the money generated my smokers doesnt go back into the NHS to support them which i agree isnt the smokers fault its government policy but still the NHS does suffer because of it, my point also is that ideally the people that it does damage to through no fault of their own, for example passive smokers should get priority over smokers who made the decision to smoke in the first place. Unfortunately in practice this is extremely difficult to bring about due to the fact that it is hard to be sure that these illness are an indirect result of smoke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Whatever happened to "An Englishman's Home is his Castle"?!
    It ended when the Englishman sold the castle in the housing boom for a 2 bedroomed flat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    So how does having relatives here allow you to categorically state I'm wrong in an assumption that neither of us can actually prove or disprove? Or do you have the enviable ability to be able to predict the future?
    Whilst not having the ability to predict the future (which neither of us have) the fact that the practice of having no smoking in bars has not diminished the patronage of them in one place is a good indication that the same result would be achieved in another - does it not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    Maybe all the money made from smoking should be channeled into the NHS the fact remains that it isnt, and as such smokers drain NHS resources.
    ironically.. due to smoking..a lot of people die before their time, and so save national pension money/quadruple heart bypass surgery money.. etc etc etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    Whilst not having the ability to predict the future (which neither of us have) the fact that the practice of having no smoking in bars has not diminished the patronage of them in one place is a good indication that the same result would be achieved in another - does it not?
    But tons of pubs have tried to go non-smoking in the past and failed. If there was a big call for non-smoking pubs then they'd already be lots of them.

Fact is, drinkers and smokers are often the same people. I personally drink like a fish and smoke like a trooper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    But tons of pubs have tried to go non-smoking in the past and failed. If there was a big call for non-smoking pubs then they'd already be lots of them.

Fact is, drinkers and smokers are often the same people. I personally drink like a fish and smoke like a trooper.
    Do I detect desperation in your post? Like - it won't work so don't bother trying - (or rather - please don't deprive me of my fag while I sup my beer!)

Any attempts on a local basis will be half-hearted and doomed to failure because it does not yet have the backing of the law, so the smokers will be more vociferous in their indignation.

Once we have the NO-SMOKING ban then it will be an unmitigated success. Non-smokers will return to the pubs because they will be ensured of a smoke-free atmosphere. The reason that you see drinkers and smokers being the same people is because non-smokers have been driven out of the pubs.

ReputationRep:
    From what I've heard smokers are becoming a dying breed as well. Although the amount of times my classmates get asked for **** I do begin to wonder. May be they think it's cool and when they decide it's not they quit or something...

I've never been fond of pubs, smoke is one factor. I do not see why I should have to sacrifice my health because of them. What if someone smoked an illegal drug and the smokers complain huh? I do not give consent to biological intoxication with my repiratory system etc. lol

They could just showly increase the price of tobacco products and properly educate people on the topic at school in early ages. Although if you do it wrong it could end up being worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark_KK)
    Secondhand smoke contains over 4,000 chemicals, including benzene, formaldehyde, arsenic, ammonia and hydrogen cyanide. The US Environmental Protection Agency has classified environmental tobacco smoke as a known human (class A) carcinogen, and the TUC recently wrote to the European Commission complaining that the continuing exposure of UK employees to secondhand smoke was in breach of the EU’s Carcinogens Directive. The immediate effects of inhaling secondhand smoke include eye irritation, headache, cough, sore throat and nausea. Exposure for just 30 minutes to secondhand smoke has been shown to reduce coronary blood flow. The British Medical Association has estimated that secondhand smoke causes at least 1,000 premature deaths in the UK each year.
    Acknowledge your sources when quoting them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    The reason that you see drinkers and smokers being the same people is because non-smokers have been driven out of the pubs.
    And because historically pubs have been smoke filled dens of iniquity.

ReputationRep:
    No tax payer should lose the right to NHS treatment while there are immigrants who have payed nothing into the system, yet take out alot of resources with their diseases we wiped out years ago.
    if you are looking for someone to blame for a drain on NHS services, take a look in the direction of illegal immigrants

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.