The Student Room Group

When a man starts going to the gym is it a warning sign?

In a relationship, is it a bad sign if a man starts goung to the gym and building muscle? I ask because ive seen it numerous times where peoples husbands started getting fixated on the gym, start making nasty comments to their wives and girlfriends and then have an affair/leave their wife.

Obviously not all guys do this some workout genuinly to lose weight or get fit but in the scenario i mentioned what goes on in the mans head lol? Does he get fed up of the relationship and then workout to attract someone new or is it the other way round does the working out/newly developed muscle make him more confident/think he can do better? Which way round is it? Lol

Btw its not happened to me i just see it happen a lot

To be fair so it doesn't sound like I'm picking on guys I suppose women do it too (more for weightloss) expecially older middle aged women who have had enough of their husbands.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2
Whats wrong with trying to make yourself look and feel better? And I think that's just a stereotype tbh
in my experience, young men who tend to work out tend to be men in quite crappy jobs and the gym is probably the only thing which gives them a confidence boost
Original post by civilstudent
In a relationship, is it a bad sign if a man starts goung to the gym and building muscle? I ask because ive seen it numerous times where peoples husbands started getting fixated on the gym, start making nasty comments to their wives and girlfriends and then have an affair/leave their wife. .
They start going to the gym and making nasty comments to their other halves and you think the gym bit is the warning sign?
Original post by MancStudent098
They start going to the gym and making nasty comments to their other halves and you think the gym bit is the warning sign?

The first sign yah
Original post by Anonymous
in my experience, young men who tend to work out tend to be men in quite crappy jobs and the gym is probably the only thing which gives them a confidence boost

I have noticed this but also the 'crappy' jobs tend to be more manly jobs like physical work/ labour etc and these jobs might just happen to attract more 'manly' men who are more physically minded..like building/physical work/lifting weights. Might not be just about confidence.
Tbh I'd love it if my boyfriend went to the gym but hey...

In my experience it's usually guys who get dumped or go through breakups that start building muscle as some sort of transformation. Honestly I know a guy who was obese (and so was his gf) and then they broke up after about 5 years together and now he's like some sort of misc brah obsessed with the gym. To be fair he looks a lot better it's just the change in personality seems to be the strange thing... I guess that's what you've got to look out for.
Reply 8

Can't agree with this one. I'd be more worried about a boyfriend doesn't exercice. Strying to stay fit is a very positive thing and building muscle usually means eating healthy too.

You must be just visiting gyms at a low income area or a gym targeting a lower income market segment.. Go to a David LLoyd gym for example and doubt many of the muscly guys have "crappy jobs".
Original post by beast132
Can't agree with this one. I'd be more worried about a boyfriend doesn't exercice. Strying to stay fit is a very positive thing and building muscle usually means eating healthy too.

You must be just visiting gyms at a low income area or a gym targeting a lower income market segment.. Go to a David LLoyd gym for example and doubt many of the muscly guys have "crappy jobs".

*kicks door down* GYMM!!!!!!!! DID SOMEBODY SAY GYM!!!!!!???????? ARRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
He's probably just matured and realised he needs to start looking after his health. I think it's possible that you have underlying insecurities which is why you think he may be doing this for other reasons. Maybe you should talk to him about it. It's what adults do.
Reply 11
These hoes won't hold me back !
Original post by Alpha Lad
He's probably just matured and realised he needs to start looking after his health. I think it's possible that you have underlying insecurities which is why you think he may be doing this for other reasons. Maybe you should talk to him about it. It's what adults do.

Talk to who about what, where and when? Read before making assumptions, (it's what adults do).

(didn't want to be sarcastic I mean no harm :biggrin:)
Talk to who about what, where and when? Read before making assumptions, (it's what adults do).
You're paranoid about something purely on the premise that he's going to the gym to work out and better himself. Yes, it does seem like you are very insecure. The most paranoid and insecure people are often those guilty of something or worried about something themselves.

Pretend it isn't the case by all means. It makes no difference to me whatsoever. As for talking, your boyfriend, or is there someone else in this relationship? It's kind of obvious.

Maybe, I was reading a thread on the bodybuilding forum where lots of men had double standards against women, they are probably just dicks and in real life most men seem cool to me but it made me think of men in a different way, (a more alpha male bang and dump her way.) I guess it got me thinking, but I don't want to be all cynical. I just need to go off how I find the men to be in real life which is nice and easy to get along with ( there's certainly less drama than with my female peers lol)
Original post by Alpha Lad
You're paranoid about something purely on the premise that he's going to the gym to work out and better himself. Yes, it does seem like you are very insecure. The most paranoid and insecure people are often those guilty of something or worried about something themselves.

Pretend it isn't the case by all means. It makes no difference to me whatsoever. As for talking, your boyfriend, or is there someone else in this relationship? It's kind of obvious.

I don't think you understood what I meant, the thread is not about me I don't even have a guy let alone one that works out lol ( I wish tho!) My life has nothing to do with this topic I asked as I'm simply curious about the male mind!

its scary though how certain people are about their assumptions! Really it might sound like it but I don't even have a man. But if you don't believe me I can't make you.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 16
power to you if you decide to bulk up and get stronger, dont let anyone tell you what to do. do what u want.

or is this you being jealous of their bodies? gg no re ugly
Reply 18
Yeah, soon he's gonna be tearing cars apart and throwing people out of 7th story windows to assert his dominance as the true Alpha male.
Reply 19
In a relationship, is it a bad sign if a man starts goung to the gym and building muscle? I ask because ive seen it numerous times where peoples husbands started getting fixated on the gym, start making nasty comments to their wives and girlfriends and then have an affair/leave their wife.

Obviously not all guys do this some workout genuinly to lose weight or get fit but in the scenario i mentioned what goes on in the mans head lol? Does he get fed up of the relationship and then workout to attract someone new or is it the other way round does the working out/newly developed muscle make him more confident/think he can do better? Which way round is it? Lol

Btw its not happened to me i just see it happen a lot

To be fair so it doesn't sound like I'm picking on guys I suppose women do it too (more for weightloss) expecially older middle aged women who have had enough of their husbands.

I dont think all men do it for those reasons. Some might want to keep fit for their wives/ husbands. It would generally improve their sex lives and they would still find eachother attractive, I personally would encourage my husband if I had one.

Latest

Trending

Trending