PatchworkTeapot
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
In the common experiment when a powerful magnet is dropped through a copper tube, explain where the motor effect and the generator effect occur.

I think that the generator effect occurs when some of the energy from gravitational potential is converted into electrical energy and a magnetic field is induced. But where is the motor effect occurring? And are they complementing each other or opposing?
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by PatchworkTeapot)
In the common experiment when a powerful magnet is dropped through a copper tube, explain where the motor effect and the generator effect occur.

I think that the generator effect occurs when some of the energy from gravitational potential is converted into electrical energy and a magnetic field is induced. But where is the motor effect occurring? And are they complementing each other or opposing?
Think about the copper tube as being a conductor for a moment. The conductor cuts the magnetic field lines as the magnet moves towards it and according to Faraday, the changing magnetic field causes an E.M.F. to be generated in the copper and hence a current is also produced.

However, the movement of electrons (current) in the copper, according to Lenz, will produce a mutual magnetic field which tries to oppose changes to the original magnetic field that created it.

The magnets permanent field will thus interact with the induced copper magnetic field and because both fields oppose each other, the magnets fall through the copper is slowed.

Hence the motor action is to slow the fall of the permanent magnet.
PatchworkTeapot
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

- Have you considered distance learning for any of your qualifications?

Yes! I'm on a distance learning course right now (6)
9.09%
Yes, I've thought about it but haven't signed up yet (5)
7.58%
No, but maybe I will look into it (15)
22.73%
No and I wouldn't consider it (40)
60.61%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed