The Student Room Group

Government wanting to screw majorly with junior doctor contract

See
(edited 7 years ago)
In the defence of the government, the decision of the bma that we will apply for overtime and get paid will never happen.

Still worrying reading. I am just glad I escaped the acute hospitals when I did :smile:
Reply 2
thanks for bringing this to my attention yesterday on the medical student thread. I've told my friends about it and hopefully more medical students/junior doctors will become aware of this. two other things that angered me:

-government believe that junior doctors only need a 30 minute break in a 10 hour shift (LOL)
-government don't care that employers can dictate when junior doctors take annual leave.

it is just absurd.
As a house officer in medicine it was quite rare to get more than 30 minutes break during the course of a normal day - and even then it was usually eating a sandwich while checking blood results and updating the patient list (surgical jobs were a different story.) Even then I don't think breaks are really breaks when you're carrying a bleep that can go off at any time.

I think it would be nice to aim for a couple of breaks, but the reality is going to be different.
Reply 4
Original post by Spencer Wells
As a house officer in medicine it was quite rare to get more than 30 minutes break during the course of a normal day - and even then it was usually eating a sandwich while checking blood results and updating the patient list (surgical jobs were a different story.) Even then I don't think breaks are really breaks when you're carrying a bleep that can go off at any time.

I think it would be nice to aim for a couple of breaks, but the reality is going to be different.

but do you agree that juniors should only get 30 mins break in 10 hours, and that 7am-10pm should be considered normal working hours? that not strike you as unreasonable?
Reply 5
Original post by Spencer Wells

We both know that was a horrendous job, but the difference is that under the new contract proposals, that job would be entirely unbanded. We did no nights, so all of our hours would have fallen inside their 7am-10pm "normal hours" bracket. They can go **** themselves if they think I'd do that **** again for £22k.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending