Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Electricity is a topic I've never properly understood. I've got a functional understanding - I know what I need to know well enough to answer the exam questions for my specification - but I'm still embarrassed about the fact that I get scared every time I see a circuit. In things like the Physics Olympiad, my understanding of electricity and circuits is woefully inadequate.

I know that vague questions like these aren't very helpful, but does anyone know any really excellent resources that helped them understand electricity? It's the one area that's really letting me down at the moment and I just want to get it sorted. I'd really appreciate a resource that really helps understand what's going on (especially in things like circuit analysis, working out resistances, p.ds and power over specific sections of more complex circuits, etc.).

Thanks a lot!
Stonebridge
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Have you tried any of the online circuit simulations?
There are a number of sites where you can set up your own circuits and they will be analysed for you, with currents and/or voltages calculated. You can do Kirchhoff Law simulations and set up both AC and DC circuits.
There are also apps, some free, you can download.
I believe there is a Google App that does this. (CircuitLab)

It's a good way to experiment with different combinations of resistors and cells etc.
interstitial
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Chlorophile)
x
this site is mainly for gcse/a level electronics so it might be a bit specific, but it also has quite a bit on a level phyiscs (mainly for the salters board but there should be some overlap) so hopefully it still helps

certainly helped me a lot with gcse electronics, lol

http://www.ikes.freeserve.co.uk/menu.htm
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Stonebridge)
Have you tried any of the online circuit simulations?
There are a number of sites where you can set up your own circuits and they will be analysed for you, with currents and/or voltages calculated. You can do Kirchhoff Law simulations and set up both AC and DC circuits.
There are also apps, some free, you can download.
I believe there is a Google App that does this. (CircuitLab)

It's a good way to experiment with different combinations of resistors and cells etc.
Thanks! I'll have a look at those, very good idea.

(Original post by Arithmeticae)
this site is mainly for gcse/a level electronics so it might be a bit specific, but it also has quite a bit on a level phyiscs (mainly for the salters board but there should be some overlap) so hopefully it still helps

http://www.ikes.freeserve.co.uk/menu.htm
Thank you! I'll have a look at that website.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (196)
60.31%
No (71)
21.85%
Not sure (58)
17.85%

Watched Threads