HELP!!!!!! philosophy and sociology?? (I'm doing psychology aswell)

Watch
hannahmrsx
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I need to choose what 4 A levels to do for the college I am attending. At the moment I've chosen Graphic design, Media studies, Psychology and I'm not sure about my 4th subject. I'm thinking something more academic however I did Psychology GCSE which helps so. For those that have taken Philosophy/Sociology, is there a lot of studies to remember? That's the thing I am worried about. In what aspect is philosophy hard? (I've heard that it's hard) Because as I'm doing psychology I don't want to get things like theories and studies mixed up.
oswalds
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I do Philosophy and also Psychology, but not Sociology (Although I do know quite a few people who do all three). I wouldn't say Philosophy and Psychology are remotely similar. In Philosophy, there aren't studies to remember like in Psychology. There are theories, arguments and viewpoints to remember which can be a bit tricky. I've found that there are quite a lot of studies to remember in Psychology though. The theories are completely different to the studies, easy to keep separate.
hannahmrsx
Rep:
?
(Original post by oswalds)
I do Philosophy and also Psychology, but not Sociology (Although I do know quite a few people who do all three). I wouldn't say Philosophy and Psychology are remotely similar. In Philosophy, there aren't studies to remember like in Psychology. There are theories, arguments and viewpoints to remember which can be a bit tricky. I've found that there are quite a lot of studies to remember in Psychology though. The theories are completely different to the studies, easy to keep separate.
Would you say it's easy to handle them both? And what types of theories etc. did you study? (I know it might be different exam boards I just want an idea on the things you do) And which do you like more?
oswalds
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by hannahmrsx)
Would you say it's easy to handle them both? And what types of theories etc. did you study? (I know it might be different exam boards I just want an idea on the things you do) And which do you like more?
I don't think it is difficult to handle both of them together, as there isn't a very heavy workload in my opinion.

Philosophy is quite essay based, I normally have at least one essay on the go at once. However, when you get used to the structure for them it is really easy. I did GCSE Philosophy and Ethics so I already had experience of some of the theories. So far we have studied things like Aquinas' five ways, Liebinz's cosmological argument, William Paley's watchmaker, Roger White's finetuning, a little on multi-verses, miracles, a lot of criticisms from Hume and we are about to start Problem of Evil.

In Psychology, the homework doesn't seem to be as heavy as Philosophy. We've only done one essay so far. We've done research methods and perspectives, and we are currently working on attachments (Learning theory, evolutionary, studies like Harlow's monkeys, Little Albert, Pavlov's dogs and Skinner's Pigeons) and memory (We've done studies like Jacobs, Baddeley, Peterson and Peterson, Bahrick et al and we've also looked at the multi-store memory model and the working memory model.).
hannahmrsx
Rep:
?
(Original post by oswalds)
I don't think it is difficult to handle both of them together, as there isn't a very heavy workload in my opinion.

Philosophy is quite essay based, I normally have at least one essay on the go at once. However, when you get used to the structure for them it is really easy. I did GCSE Philosophy and Ethics so I already had experience of some of the theories. So far we have studied things like Aquinas' five ways, Liebinz's cosmological argument, William Paley's watchmaker, Roger White's finetuning, a little on multi-verses, miracles, a lot of criticisms from Hume and we are about to start Problem of Evil.

In Psychology, the homework doesn't seem to be as heavy as Philosophy. We've only done one essay so far. We've done research methods and perspectives, and we are currently working on attachments (Learning theory, evolutionary, studies like Harlow's monkeys, Little Albert, Pavlov's dogs and Skinner's Pigeons) and memory (We've done studies like Jacobs, Baddeley, Peterson and Peterson, Bahrick et al and we've also looked at the multi-store memory model and the working memory model.).
Ahh!! We've covered those studies in GCSE psychology Thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (112)
28%
No (288)
72%

Watched Threads