The Student Room Group

Psychology Essay

I'm writing an essay for a psychology module do I include an abstract and a title page? Thank you
I don't see the harm in doing so, although your abstract would count towards your word count.
Reply 2
Thank you. Just been told to write an essay apa style and for further instructions look on a certain website. But got a little confused when it starts talking about abstracts. I thought they were more for a studies report and a title page. Do you know the rules for apa style essays? Thank you for your help.
Reply 3
Original post by Jes_Joy
Thank you. Just been told to write an essay apa style and for further instructions look on a certain website. But got a little confused when it starts talking about abstracts. I thought they were more for a studies report and a title page. Do you know the rules for apa style essays? Thank you for your help.

https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/560/01/

An abstract will summarise the following report or essay, in more detail than an introduction, but more quickly, so is an important part of many APA style essays.
(edited 9 years ago)
Lol no don't write an abstract for an essay, that is dumb
Reply 5
Original post by JamesManc
Lol no don't write an abstract for an essay, that is dumb

All essays can have the potential to include an abstract in some form anyway, surely? Even something as broad as "The research of ____ found ___ while opposing researchers have found ____, leading to balanced approaches from each side", would be a nice way to open an essay while going on to evaluate and describe in the main body.

Especially if an APA format has been specifically asked of.
I usually only wrote abstracts for research reports in APA format - at least in my department an "essay in APA style" just meant an essay with correct referencing, double-spacing/formatting, title page...but no abstract.
Also consider how long your essay is...if it's short i.e. 500-2000 words, there's not much point using some of those words to write an abstract. If it were really long (like, dissertation length) an abstract would be more helpful to summarise the path you've taken through writing it.
Original post by Davalla
All essays can have the potential to include an abstract in some form anyway, surely? Even something as broad as "The research of ____ found ___ while opposing researchers have found ____, leading to balanced approaches from each side", would be a nice way to open an essay while going on to evaluate and describe in the main body.

Especially if an APA format has been specifically asked of.

I take your point. It would give a good summary if in bullet point form. It might look cuter too. But in reality I wouldn't and I'm fairly sure you'd get marked down for doing so. There's strict marking criteria. You do write abstracts for reports/studies but generally not for essays. Don't think I've ever seen or known of one with one.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Thank you everyone for your advices. It's only a short essay up to 1500 so I wont include it on this occasion. Thanks again.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending