htc one (m8) vs sony xperia z3

Watch
username568974
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I am not sure which mobile to purchase out of the two choices I've chosen...for those who have a previous HTC or Sony Xperia mobile which is the best one for me?

In terms of a really good camera with high quality pics where u could literally tell, good speakers/volume and storage space for Whatsapp,Tango and Viber also battery as I won't use it that much just now and then...plz give me ur honest opinions and advice....It will be appreciated

Thanks
username1050473
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by sim12345)
I am not sure which mobile to purchase out of the two choices I've chosen...for those who have a previous HTC or Sony Xperia mobile which is the best one for me?

In terms of a really good camera with high quality pics where u could literally tell, good speakers/volume and storage space for Whatsapp,Tango and Viber also battery as I won't use it that much just now and then...plz give me ur honest opinions and advice....It will be appreciated

Thanks
The cameras in both are so-so, but I would say that the HTC's is slightly better. The HTC's better for most things, apart from the screen. The Z3's is gorgeous.
somemightsay888
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The Z3 is better, the HTC has a horrible RAM consuming User Interface called Sense, slows down your phone and saps a lot of battery. The One M8 has the better camera, although the Z3 has more megapixels it's a so so camera unfortunately. Both have Micro SD card slots so the storage is up to you. The Z3 has brilliant battery life, the One M8 doesn't. Whatsapp and the like won't require much storage space anyway.

For me the Z3 is better, much easier to use and feels smoother.
username568974
Rep:
?
(Original post by sarcasmrules)
The cameras in both are so-so, but I would say that the HTC's is slightly better. The HTC's better for most things, apart from the screen. The Z3's is gorgeous.
Thank u for ur reply
username568974
Rep:
?
(Original post by somemightsay888)
The Z3 is better, the HTC has a horrible RAM consuming User Interface called Sense, slows down your phone and saps a lot of battery. The One M8 has the better camera, although the Z3 has more megapixels it's a so so camera unfortunately. Both have Micro SD card slots so the storage is up to you. The Z3 has brilliant battery life, the One M8 doesn't. Whatsapp and the like won't require much storage space anyway.

For me the Z3 is better, much easier to use and feels smoother.
thanks for ur reply what if I could possibly get a bigger storage Micro SD card, would that help as I would defo want whatsapp and viber on my mob.
somemightsay888
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
thanks for ur reply what if I could possibly get a bigger storage Micro SD card, would that help as I would defo want whatsapp and viber on my mob.
You don't need an SD card to get Whatsapp or Viber, they can't be moved to the SD card either. It'll be downloaded on the internal storage and both phones have more than enough internal storage for the average user
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
In terms of a really good camera with high quality pics where u could literally tell
I'm going to disagree with the people saying the One M8 has the better camera and that the Z3 camera isn't that good, most reviews have praised the image quality and DxOMark, a site dedicated to analysing just about every camera sensor and lens from smartphones to pro grade DSLRs rank the camera in the Z3 at joint third of all smartphones, behind the iPhone 6/6 Plus and tied with the Galaxy S5 (the One M8 is ranked 18). Even if the Z3's camera wasn't great it would most likely win in a competition against the One M8 because that camera is just plain meh in anything but low light, something it doesn't even have a huge advantage in when the Z3 has a pretty huge sensor for a smartphone (larger sensor means more light gathering capabilities and generally better image quality. The Z3 has the same size sensor as the one found in most point and shoot cameras) and top notch ISO performance (the camera is more sensitive to light and produces better images than other cameras at the same sensitivity in lower light).

However at the end of the day they are both still smartphone cameras, you aren't going to get something that will match a high quality standalone camera but at the same time a standalone camera will be large and an extra thing to carry.

good speakers/volume
Both phones are fine for volume, however the HTC One line have the best quality speakers on the market with zero rivals. They're awesome. I wouldn't choose a phone based on this unless you're planning on watching a lot of movies through them, however.

and storage space for Whatsapp,Tango and Viber
Both phones have enough space for apps and expandable storage as mentioned above.

also battery as I won't use it that much just now and then...
By all accounts the Z3 is the clear winner in this regard.

plz give me ur honest opinions and advice....It will be appreciated
My opinion is that you may be spending more than you need to for what you want out of your phone. As you put it, you "won't use it that much just now and then", which makes this an extremely expensive purchase or long term commitment. You can get high quality, high performance phones these days for under £150 in the form of the Moto G line, which offer an excellent smartphone experience which anybody but the most demanding power user would happily enjoy. Fast performance, great screens, expandable storage, loads of good stuff. Sure the camera's meh, but for the price difference between a £120-£150 Moto G and £450-£500 Z3/M8 (using Amazon as a rough price guide) you could get an entry level DSLR, or an amazing pocket camera like the Sony RX100 mk 1, and cameras of this quality will demolish anything any smartphone can produce. The speakers are nothing special (no worse that most smartphones though), but for the price difference you could get a great pair of headphones for £80 or an incredible pair for £200+. Just a couple of examples.

Of course that's all irrelevant if you were going on contract, but you could instead buy a cheaper phone outright and make a tidy saving on your bill each month.
username568974
Rep:
?
(Original post by somemightsay888)
You don't need an SD card to get Whatsapp or Viber, they can't be moved to the SD card either. It'll be downloaded on the internal storage and both phones have more than enough internal storage for the average user
thanks for clearing my confusion silly me
username568974
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gofre)
I'm going to disagree with the people saying the One M8 has the better camera and that the Z3 camera isn't that good, most reviews have praised the image quality and DxOMark, a site dedicated to analysing just about every camera sensor and lens from smartphones to pro grade DSLRs rank the camera in the Z3 at joint third of all smartphones, behind the iPhone 6/6 Plus and tied with the Galaxy S5 (the One M8 is ranked 18). Even if the Z3's camera wasn't great it would most likely win in a competition against the One M8 because that camera is just plain meh in anything but low light, something it doesn't even have a huge advantage in when the Z3 has a pretty huge sensor for a smartphone (larger sensor means more light gathering capabilities and generally better image quality. The Z3 has the same size sensor as the one found in most point and shoot cameras) and top notch ISO performance (the camera is more sensitive to light and produces better images than other cameras at the same sensitivity in lower light).

However at the end of the day they are both still smartphone cameras, you aren't going to get something that will match a high quality standalone camera but at the same time a standalone camera will be large and an extra thing to carry.

Both phones are fine for volume, however the HTC One line have the best quality speakers on the market with zero rivals. They're awesome. I wouldn't choose a phone based on this unless you're planning on watching a lot of movies through them, however.

Both phones have enough space for apps and expandable storage as mentioned above.

My opinion is that you may be spending more than you need to for what you want out of your phone. As you put it, you "won't use it that much just now and then", which makes this an extremely expensive purchase or long term commitment. You can get high quality, high performance phones these days for under £150 in the form of the Moto G line, which offer an excellent smartphone experience which anybody but the most demanding power user would happily enjoy. Fast performance, great screens, expandable storage, loads of good stuff. Sure the camera's meh, but for the price difference between a £120-£150 Moto G and £450-£500 Z3/M8 (using Amazon as a rough price guide) you could get an entry level DSLR, or an amazing pocket camera like the Sony RX100 mk 1, and cameras of this quality will demolish anything any smartphone can produce. The speakers are nothing special (no worse that most smartphones though), but for the price difference you could get a great pair of headphones for £80 or an incredible pair for £200+. Just a couple of examples.

Of course that's all irrelevant if you were going on contract, but you could instead buy a cheaper phone outright and make a tidy saving on your bill each month.
thank u thank u thank u! answered all my questions which I really didn't expect at all. in terms of not using it now and then yh I agree to choose another mobile but am going for the z3 made my decision really appreciated ur reply with full details
adil-h
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you're gonna get a Z3, wait for the Z4 or go for the Z2 and save yourself some money. The differences between a Z2 & Z3 are minimal.
username568974
Rep:
?
(Original post by adil-h)
If you're gonna get a Z3, wait for the Z4 or go for the Z2 and save yourself some money. The differences between a Z2 & Z3 are minimal.
u've got a point when will it come out around 4-6 months?
silent ninja
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
u've got a point when will it come out around 4-6 months?
Lol
Waiting for the next best thing is futile. Technology moves fast. The new thing comes out, it's horribly expensive so you get the old one - but that has less longevity, probably less support too. So you think "oh yeah I bought the latest and greatest..." then feel short changed that it isn't

5-6 months is an AGE in mobile technology. I can understand 2-3 months max but waiting 6 months is rather silly

For your needs, just buy a Moto G. You'll thank us for it
username568974
Rep:
?
(Original post by silent ninja)
Lol
Waiting for the next best thing is futile. Technology moves fast. The new thing comes out, it's horribly expensive so you get the old one - but that has less longevity, probably less support too. So you think "oh yeah I bought the latest and greatest..." then feel short changed that it isn't

5-6 months is an AGE in mobile technology. I can understand 2-3 months max but waiting 6 months is rather silly

For your needs, just buy a Moto G. You'll thank us for it
thanks for ur advice how good is the Moto G in terms of good camera, speakers/volume, storage space n downloading apps such as whats app , tango etc??? soz for so many questions
xxvine
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Gofre)

whats the best phone you recommend.max spend £300
heisenburger
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The best thing about having a Z2 for me is being able to check my twitter, fb, instagram etc in the shower because why not?
TechGirl96
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Just thought I would let you know that Vodafone are doing a Halloween deal and are selling the HTC One M8 for £289 which is a bargain (although, I haven't got the phone so i don't know much about it) but it seems like a good deal.
Hachik0
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Sony Xperia Z3

Better camera. I am slightly biased though in the fact that I'm replying to you off of mine now. Hehe.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by heisenburger)
The best thing about having a Z2 for me is being able to check my twitter, fb, instagram etc in the shower because why not?
Vodafone will be selling the HTC One M8 for £289 as mentioned above, which is a steal for a killer phone.
gamerteen14
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Thanks
I own an HTC so my opinion is obviously that you should buy that
My HTC One Mini (old version) is absolutely fantastic, I use it every day and it's nearly never out of my hand, it's that essential. As well as the normal text, email, phoning functions that I use (they're extremely fluid interfaces and I really like the design), the Blinkfeed feature is very intelligent and links in to all your social networks so you nearly ALWAYS get the stuff you want to see. I know some people don't like it, (why?) but there's always the option of switching your home screen so you don't have to look at it Battery life was OK at first and got better??!

The only thing I would say wasn't quite up to scratch was the durability. The phone screen is very tough, Gorilla Glass I think or something similar, and I haven't noticed any scratches on it since I got it, which was just over 8 months ago. However, the actual body is made of metal with a rim around the edges which is made from polycarbonate, which I have found to be an extremely easy material to dent whenever it's dropped.

One of the best features in my opinion is the dual frontal speakers. There's TWO of them on the front. not the back, of the phone. It's a particularly useful feature when I want to show any of my friends video.
alexh42
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I have the Z1, which is almost identical to the Z3 just lower in speed and ram. I love this phone incredibly fast and looks sexy if I'm honest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (424)
56.46%
I don't have everything I need (327)
43.54%

Watched Threads