The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well in most pubs/bars on tap they sell Carling or Fosters, Stella, Strongbow and usually a bitter (Worthington or John Smiths where i live) although it depends on what kind of pub your in. Old mans pubs have much more 'real ale' on tap. Bottle wise its usually, Budweiser, Corona, Magners and then it varies from bar to bar after that.

Cant go wrong with Budweiser ina bottle though
Reply 2
Can't go wrong with a good old pint :biggrin:

Basically, you've got your pints of stuff, like beer, lager, cider.
Then you've got bottles of allsorts; alcopops, lager, cider etc
You've also got shots of things; vodka, absynth, sambuca etc
Cocktails; expensive things that generally taste crap
mixers; hideous mixes of lethal substances.

Stick to the beer like me :biggrin:
Reply 3
At pubs its all about beer, at clubs though drinks are often expensive, if you're ever short on cash on a night out just go for shots. They don't taste nice though.

Tbh if you're looking for something that tastes nice you wanna stick to girly drinks cos they are really nice or alcopops.
vodka + lemonade
vodka + coke

its all good.
Reply 5
If you ask for a drink they don't have (eg a different type of lager) they'll usually tell you what they have that's closest.

Try a range of drinks. Usually, pubs will have one on special offer, so drink it while it's cheap! If you hate it, don't buy it again.

If you're really unsure, ask for the drink name rather than the brand. Like say "vodka and coke" or "half a lager"
Don't get house double vodka your first time, a single is nice enough and you can hardly taste the vodka.

Blue WKD tastes sweet too.
Reply 7
malibu
the first time i went to a club i was bought double vodka and red bull all nite... at least i think thats what happened!
Vodka and lemonade
Vodka and coke
Archers and lemoade
Taboo and lemoade
Blue Taboo and lemonade
WKD blue
WKD red

There just a few of my many faves:smile:
Stick Man
Don't let anyone tell you there's any difference at all between different brands of "pint". There isn't. At all.

wow , wow ,wow.....

i cannot stand Stella but love other lagers, and other beers are stronger / watery in comparison...

although if ur talking about necking as many as you can i can see ur point:p:
Don't let anyone tell you there's any difference at all between different brands of "pint". There isn't. At all.

Are you joking? When it's pissy lager vs. pissy lager perhaps, but proper ales are very diverse and naturally ale\stout\lager is an important distinction, though they're all served in pints.

Cider, basic types:
Cheap and cheerful - e.g. Strongbow mainly. Not generally a taste sensation, and every so often you get some that really tastes like urine, but generally affordable and not unpleasant compared with low-end beer. Blackthorn is much nicer though and generally as cheap.

Premium - e.g. Magners, Gwynt y Ddraig, Ballmer's. Not cheap, but very pleasant to drink especially served over ice, which also makes them last longer.

Traditional\cloudy - acquired tastes and often quite strong (taste and alcohol content). Have a tendency to be pretty strong. Some are very good though.
Reply 12
As an inexperienced drinker, you should stick to things that are easy to swallow and have a low alcohol content: golden tequila, over-proof (this means "weak") rum, and absinthe, for example, and once you're used to those work your way up to firewater like Baileys and Ice or rocket fuel like Kaliber lager.
Asking for the general drink name is a good tip if you are unsure. I tend to ask for peach schnapps and lemonade to avoid the oh we don't sell archers here issue...

I tend to just ask for a medium white wine or a rose when I am at the pub.
Reply 14
x kat
malibu

with coke mmmmm :suith:
I always go for cider, but sometimes get onto absynth and/or sambucca.

Depends on what you like, I don't like beer but most people do so they'd go with that instead.

If they have crap like strongbow, and most places do, you might not like it much. But places with cider which actually tastes like apples is good.
tis_me_lord

If they have crap like strongbow, and most places do, you might not like it much. But places with cider which actually tastes like apples is good.

mmmm... scrumpy
Reply 17
mm cider is good.
i tried pear cider a while back and it was really nice.
ive also tried cherry beer (i think it was) and that was nice too
Reply 18
Stick Man

True story.

Just don't go into a pub and ask for a can of beer like one girl at my college who we dragged to the pub once.

Just stick with the easy pint, and try your friends' drinks until you find something else you like, then buy that and see if you enjoy a whole one. Make that your new standard and repeat.
There's not really anything you can say to make yourself look stupid, until you know what you're after you'll probably just be ordering what you can see in the fridges/on the taps anyway.

Anything containing red bull is potentially very expensive. There's bars around here with double vodka redbulls costing over £7 a drink.
I've seen deals on where a vodka\red bull is actually cheaper than straight vodka, so I always thought it had a negative price. You couldn't pay me to drink it mind.

Latest

Trending

Trending