The Student Room Group

Architecture 2015 entry

I couldn't see a thread for this so I thought I'd make one.
Use for general discussion about applying for architecture 2015 entry!

Where are you guys applying?
What are your portfolios looking like???:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've applied to Cambridge, Cardiff, Manchester, Edinburgh and Bath!
Just sent my Cardiff portfolio off and working on my Manchester one now. I have not a clue where to start:s-smilie:
Original post by elleroses
I've applied to Cambridge, Cardiff, Manchester, Edinburgh and Bath!
Just sent my Cardiff portfolio off and working on my Manchester one now. I have not a clue where to start:s-smilie:
are you preparing different portfolios for each uni? :K:
Reply 3
I've applied to Bath, Edinburgh, Cardiff, Liverpool and Oxford Brookes! Sent it off two days ago so no offers yet :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by IDIOSYNCRASY.
are you preparing different portfolios for each uni? :K:

Yes!:s-smilie: Only 3 of my choices will want a portfolio and they have all asked for different formats and set different tasks!
Original post by elleroses
Yes!:s-smilie: Only 3 of my choices will want a portfolio and they have all asked for different formats and set different tasks!
Other than the tasks unis send out (which obviously vary) I thought I could use the same pieces for all :frown: did you send the portfolio and the task together by post? I'm preparing my portfolio now for Sheffield, Manchester and Nottingham. Good luck on your choices! :biggrin:
Reply 6
Other than the tasks unis send out (which obviously vary) I thought I could use the same pieces for all :frown: did you send the portfolio and the task together by post? I'm preparing my portfolio now for Sheffield, Manchester and Nottingham. Good luck on your choices! :biggrin:

Yes you probably can! For me Cardiff wanted copies of my work on an A4 format because we don't get them back, I sent a physical portfolio to them. For manchester it's a blog type portfolio where you upload images of your work and the tasks online, on top of the tasks I intend to use some of the same things I did for Cardiff. So then I can use the originals for my cambridge portfolio... If I get an interview of course! Good luck to you too!:tongue:
Reply 7

Has Nottingham emailed you about submitting your portfolio? I've only got the confirmation email from them, nothing else. Kinda concerned since its my 1st choice, and all other unis i've applied to have replied with portfolio requests.
Reply 8
Original post by lildur
Has Nottingham emailed you about submitting your portfolio? I've only got the confirmation email from them, nothing else. Kinda concerned since its my 1st choice, and all other unis i've applied to have replied with portfolio requests.

I've also not heard from Nottingham about portfolio. No news from Bath other than being considered. Got emails about portfolios for Cardiff and Sheffield.
Original post by lildur

I havnt heard anything from Nottingham yet :frown: in fact, none of my choices have responded to my application which makes me sooo nervous
Original post by AZ_97
I've also not heard from Nottingham about portfolio. No news from Bath other than being considered. Got emails about portfolios for Cardiff and Sheffield.
Cradiff and Sheffield are online submissions? and how long are they giving you to prepare your portfolios
Reply 11
Cradiff and Sheffield are online submissions? and how long are they giving you to prepare your portfolios

Cardiff is to be submitted on four sheets of paper, Sheffield is 10 images submitted online.

both gave me three weeks to submit.
Original post by AZ_97
Cardiff is to be submitted on four sheets of paper, Sheffield is 10 images submitted online.

both gave me three weeks to submit.
OMG!! does this mean no more than 10 regarding Sheffield? or minimum 10 :eek: I'm afraid I got overbored and done too many... and btw when did you start working on your portfolios right when you received the emails or before, just curious :biggrin:
Reply 13
I'm applying to Bath, Nottingham, Sheffield, Edinburgh and Northumbria. I have an interview for Northumbria in two weeks and I'm preparing my portfolio currently! Is anyone using mostly A level art for their portfolio? I'm trying to add some of my own sketches as well.
Original post by LH-26
I'm applying to Bath, Nottingham, Sheffield, Edinburgh and Northumbria. I have an interview for Northumbria in two weeks and I'm preparing my portfolio currently! Is anyone using mostly A level art for their portfolio? I'm trying to add some of my own sketches as well.
Most Unis prefer personal work I think, i could be wrong :redface: did you receive the task from Sheffield?
Reply 15
No, not yet! I'm gonna try and use a mix I think.
Reply 16
Bath, UCL, Cambridge, Sheffield (Structural Engineering and Architecture) and Edinburgh.

So this may sound silly but I'm not sure I know what a portfolio actually is...

In my mind, it is your best work compiled into a book/folder. I thought 2D work presented should be the originals (the physical work, not photographs), but my teachers are strongly against ripping pages out of my AS Sketchbooks to include in my portfolio.

My teachers suggest bringing my whole AS Sketchbook, but from everything I've read, this would be the wrong thing to do as I've read how you present your work is a big element, and although I believe my sketchbook is presented very well, I'm sure they don't want to see everything i've done. (e.g. Artist researches do not show creativity, Pages of writing can seem crowded)

I understand there must be a multitude possibilities for what a portfolio can be, but what are your opinions?

EDIT: I'd like to bring my Sketchbook, but more as a tool of explanation as to where my ideas are coming from as opposed to the actual portfolio.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 17
Oh and how is The Task coming along for other Bartlett applicants? I'm cutting it fine. :s-smilie:
Reply 18
I want to apply to bath, ucl, edinburgh and manchester and I really don't know what am I supposed to include in a protfolio or if there's a deadline to submit it !
Plus do you know if the interview is compulsory?
Original post by sultaabs
I want to apply to bath, ucl, edinburgh and manchester and I really don't know what am I supposed to include in a protfolio or if there's a deadline to submit it !
Plus do you know if the interview is compulsory?
I'm not the best person to ask this question but from what I've heard and what I personally added in my portfolios is work that shows the following: form, proportion, perspective, mixed media, exploration of texture and material behaviour, 3D, sculptures or installations, life drawings e.g. portrait faces, exploring human figure showing tone and highlights, observational drawings of objects in front of you etc.

Consider these things, I hope this helps :biggrin: and yes! unfortunately you have a deadline to submit these, there isn't a fixed deadline as it varies from universities.

Quick Reply

Latest