The Student Room Group

Quitting apprenticeship for full paid job at the same company?

Hi everyone

I am currently 20 and have been in my apprenticeship for just over a month. Really enjoying it so far. I am doing a Level 2 course and there is no way its going to take me a year to finish the course - the NVQ side of it is really easy and a lot of it is 'observation based' and fits into my standard working day.

I work with the head of the organisation and he amongst other managers seems very interested in keeping me on and asked me yesterday when they get to hire me on a real wage not apprentice wage which is very promising. The organisation is going through a restructure and the job I really want will be advertised in April I believe. Can I quit the apprenticeship contract early to take on a 'proper' job in the same company or am I legally bound to sit it out until the end of my contract (Sept 2015)? Is it still disallowed if I continue the NVQ course while in the same role but employed permanently and on a 'real' wage? I don't attend college or anything as its all work based so that isnt an issue.

I really want the security of a permanent contract because I know if I wait til the end of September 2015 when my contract is due to end, the restructure will have taken place and therefore there will be little to no chance of securing a job there.

Anyone been in a similar situation?
Original post by pandora2308
Hi everyone

I am currently 20 and have been in my apprenticeship for just over a month. Really enjoying it so far. I am doing a Level 2 course and there is no way its going to take me a year to finish the course - the NVQ side of it is really easy and a lot of it is 'observation based' and fits into my standard working day.

I work with the head of the organisation and he amongst other managers seems very interested in keeping me on and asked me yesterday when they get to hire me on a real wage not apprentice wage which is very promising. The organisation is going through a restructure and the job I really want will be advertised in April I believe. Can I quit the apprenticeship contract early to take on a 'proper' job in the same company or am I legally bound to sit it out until the end of my contract (Sept 2015)? Is it still disallowed if I continue the NVQ course while in the same role but employed permanently and on a 'real' wage? I don't attend college or anything as its all work based so that isnt an issue.

I really want the security of a permanent contract because I know if I wait til the end of September 2015 when my contract is due to end, the restructure will have taken place and therefore there will be little to no chance of securing a job there.

Anyone been in a similar situation?

When do you think you will have finished the apprenticeship by? Do you think you will get it finished by april?
Id speak to the manager again and see what they say.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending