Oxford European and Middle Eastern Languages (EMEL) Students and Applicants

Watch
tosocarolina
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi everyone, I'm Carolina and I'm Italian. I've applied for EMEL (Spanish & Arabic) at Oxford University... Anyone else has made this choice? It seems very few people chose this joint course, but I'm sure here there's someone like me!

Posted from TSR Mobile
She-Ra
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by tosocarolina)
Hi everyone, I'm Carolina and I'm Italian. I've applied for EMEL (Spanish & Arabic) at Oxford University... Anyone else has made this choice? It seems very few people chose this joint course, but I'm sure here there's someone like me!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just giving this a little bump
tosocarolina
Rep:
?
Thanks 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pierre23
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey Carolina!
I'm Pierre and I'm French. I also applied for EMEL (Portuguese and Arabic). Have you already sent your written works to Oxford? I am currently writing them but the task is a little bit more complicated than expected, since the English essay requirements in the UK are much more higher than in France( We do write such essays, but in French^^). I have a question though: is your written work in English or in Spanish about the Middle East? If yes, could you please tell me what kind of papers you sent? (I must admit I'm kind of lost :/ )
tosocarolina
Rep:
?
Hi Pierre, first of all it's nice to know that there are other "strange" people like me! I mean, it's unusual to find foreign students who aim to study foreign languages in England!
As regards the written work, I've already sent mine ( the college I applied to asked me to do it electronically ). As you mentioned, essays work in a different way in England. In Italy we are not used to writing essays, we are seldom asked to do it on a specific topic. Anyway, in my Spanish essay I wrote about my passion for the choir I sing in and it was part of a homework of last September. For the Middle Eastern language, Oxford asked an essay in English. My essay was about a paintinh I really like, I chose that written work because it showed more than others how I am able to describe/comment/etc.. In September I went to the Open Day of the University of Oxford and I explained that in Italy essays are different from the English ones; they told me not to worry, especially regarding Spanish. The review of a book would be fine, there's not a specific topic you have to stick to, as long as you express well your ideas and your skills in that language.
I hope this helps if you need further ingormation, feel free to ask!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pierre23
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hahaha I agree with you I felt lonely until today!
Thanks for answering so quickly! I started writing an essay in Portuguese about my favorite singer and why she is so special to me and I hope it will fit! Regarding the essay in English, I still have to work on it but I think I'll be able to deliver it before November 10th. You sent the marked papers online? Were both of your essays marked? Don't you agree that the OLAT looks really awesome? I've never been this motivated

Anyway, I'm really happy to finally be able to talk to someone applying for the same course!

Ciao
tosocarolina
Rep:
?
Bonsoir

My essays were marked, in the sense that my teachers had commented the text just below the final line. They didn't put any grade since it was part of a homework. Remember to attach the cover!

I agree with you: Olat is super and doing it is fun! I study Latin so I'm used to finding different endings to words and at first glance I can clearly see what changes. What do you think about Mlat, instead? I'm practisimg for it but unluckily there's only one specimen paper!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pierre23
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Buona sera

Yes I felt so excited when I did the OLAT I never studied Latin (took Arabic instead^^) but I'm used to studying languages on my own so it really was a great exercise! In fact, the MLAT doesn't look that hard but it's really unfortunate that we can't practice more Where do you live in Italy? Are there many centers where you can pass these tests?
tosocarolina
Rep:
?
Write my privately and I'll explain you

Posted from TSR Mobile
krelle111
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm applying to study German and Turkish
tosocarolina
Rep:
?
It's great !

Posted from TSR Mobile
221Breezeblocks
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Helllooooo anyone applying for EMEL for this cycle? I am for French and Arabic!
lydiamaycarter
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by tosocarolina)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thats what i have applied for! Somerville college, you?
dkb73
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hello! Hoping to revive this thread for the upcoming Oxford 2017 application.

I am in Year 12, and aiming to apply for Oriental Studies (Arabic), and maybe combining this with Classics as a joint degree.

Does anyone know anything about this course combination? There seems to be very little about it, especially since very few colleges offer this combination.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I’m hoping to study Spanish and Arabic. I studied abroad during high school in Granada, Spain. I was fascinated by the Moorish influences in Andalucia!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (514)
33.62%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (634)
41.47%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (312)
20.41%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (69)
4.51%

Watched Threads