The Student Room Group

Forensic Science/Investigation Personal Statement

I'm starting to make a draft of my personal statement at the moment and my form tutor keeps reminding me for me to start looking at stuff to enhance my application. But for the degree I will be applying to do (Forensic Science) I don't know what to volunteer/apply to? I live in Leeds if anyone knows whats out there at the moment in this area. Thank you x

P.S Sorry if this is placed in the wrong category :redface:
It can be very difficult to get work experience for scientific/ 'niche' subject areas - but don't worry, admissions tutors are totally aware of this and don't expect it of you. Possible organisations that could be worth trying to get work experience with include the police and scientific labs (doesn't have to be 'forensic' since some techniques are similar between e.g. clinical and forensic labs). However, it is often very hard to get work experience if you don't have a contact within the organisation who would be happy for you to shadow them for a few days, and of course with forensic science there can be quite a few confidentiality issues which may make it even more challenging to get a placement.

Therefore, really don't stress about relevant work experience if you can't get it. However, you should definitely look into other things you could do to demonstrate your interest in the subject - e.g. reading university level textbooks/ popular science books, taking part in science competitions, attending subject specific university taster days or summer schools, doing online courses (MOOCs) in related subjects (If you google 'Forensic Science MOOC' I'm sure some interesting short courses will come up), etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending