PenguinEmperor
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hey I was wondering if anyone here currently does BA Economics at Manchester and would be able to help me decide if I should have it as a choice or not. (I know someone is going to reply with something defamatory about a BA in Economics but simply put i lost my "spark" at maths and so did badly in that exam and decided to drop it).

So My questions are.
What were the actual grades you go in with?
What Topics does the course focus on?
Are the lectures engaging?
Do you have to learn a lot of graphs? (I ****ing hate learning graphs, I can do it but it is my least favored part of Economics)

Yes I know I can search up for some of these things but I would prefer the answer of an actual pupil rather than a statistic or someone trying to sell the course.
anonwinner
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Are BA and BSc Economics really that different?
gr8wizard10
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by anonwinner)
Are BA and BSc Economics really that different?
Depends where you study. Some are heftily quantitative.

If you don't like graphs, don't do economics. :lol: I have economic modules and all they are, is theory/graphs/maths
MagicNMedicine
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The difference in the course at Manchester is the breadth of module choice, the BEconSci has compulsory modules that are more mathematical in nature and the BA doesn't, the BA is a more broad based social science degree, the fact that you don't need A-level maths for it means they won't force you to do any modules where you would need A-level.

However even if you do a non quantitative course in economics you will need to do a fair few graphs, they take a while to get the hang of but in the end they are mostly quite similar. If you really don't like graphs then you are not going to like economics whereever you do it.
PenguinEmperor
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonynous)
Depends where you study. Some are heftily quantitative.

If you don't like graphs, don't do economics. :lol: I have economic modules and all they are, is theory/graphs/maths
xD The problem is I really enjoy every other part of Economics and I think I am allowed to have a least favourite part of the subject xD I like the Theory, I like the Maths even though I haven't done as well recently in actual maths exams which is why I am not looking for BSC. Graphs in my opinion are a necessary evil, since atm I am going through the all the Oligoplistic,Monopolistic,Perfect and Monopoly competition units in my A level I know I need to learn graphs and I can do that I just always try to leave that too last.

I've managed to survive 3 1/2 years of economics with a female teacher who looks like Peter Petticrew from Harry Potter and knows nothing about anything that is not on the course. (I once tried to use the word behemoth in an essay about monopolies and she told me she couldn't read the word). So I definitely like the subject, it might just be the way I have been forced to learn the graphs that causes my dislike towards them.
gr8wizard10
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Penguinfarts)
xD The problem is I really enjoy every other part of Economics and I think I am allowed to have a least favourite part of the subject xD I like the Theory, I like the Maths even though I haven't done as well recently in actual maths exams which is why I am not looking for BSC. Graphs in my opinion are a necessary evil, since atm I am going through the all the Oligoplistic,Monopolistic,Perfect and Monopoly competition units in my A level I know I need to learn graphs and I can do that I just always try to leave that too last.

I've managed to survive 3 1/2 years of economics with a female teacher who looks like Peter Petticrew from Harry Potter and knows nothing about anything that is not on the course. (I once tried to use the word behemoth in an essay about monopolies and she told me she couldn't read the word). So I definitely like the subject, it might just be the way I have been forced to learn the graphs that causes my dislike towards them.
Graphical modelling is the very thing that underpins the fundamentals of the subject. I loved economics at A level but at university, it's just another level up and I don't even study economics as a degree :lol:

We mostly focus on the quantitative side of Economics.
PenguinEmperor
Rep:
?
Well here is a question, of the graphs you do, would they be similar process of Competition in different Markets (Perfect,Monopoly,Monopolist and Oligopolies) with 4-6+ lines on each Graph (MC,(AC,P,D),AR,MR which do not move a huge amount or the diagrams I prefer being Aggregate supply and demand diagrams, which are used in similar ways in a lot of areas.

I've probably said that in a bad way but basically it takes me quite a while to Understand the first sort of diagrams i said but I can almost always understand the 2nd type within a few minutes as the logic always comes easier to me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (93)
28.53%
No (233)
71.47%

Watched Threads