Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by habosh)
    alot of stuff in our life uses physics
    As opposed to chemistry then?

I'm very sorry you had a bad time taking the subject at AS level, but that certainly doesn't mean it is useless.

ReputationRep:
    Lets see, Chemistry is basically a subject where you memorise alot of useless crap. Its a memory test, not an intelligence test. Whilst this is also the case for Physics, in Physics there is no 'learn this equation', 'learn this mechanism' you simply need to learn the concepts and if youve got half a brain you can go from there...

Chemistry also has alot of boring stuff in it. pH curves, organic, most of the Physical stuff...its so intensely boring, there is nothing interesting about it, you just have to learn/memorise facts which arent even interesting. Learning equations on how to make esters or epoxyethane just dont do it for me Im afraid..
    i read at the start of the thread and realized most p6 lovers agree with this statement. Ahem, i like both subject actually. But, i love physics more, the only reason i went for chemistry was because i find it more uselful. Some might disagree that p6 is more useful, well yeah i agree. But ive done lots of physics well enough for the past 2 years, and, i just dont seem to get on with it. The mechanics, theories, and all that stuff is very easy stuff, i'd say. But when it comes to equations, i really find it annoying. Just like any other form of mathematical calculations, you start with a given equation, apply the rules... the rest is maths. That's why i find maths more useful at this point. hehehe, Physics just really outstand later in the period when things get very complicated. I think because A-level physics ain that tough but much tougher in examz. Im not doing any physics at all anymore, i just think that when you go to much complex physics, especially quantum physics, ill be in deep down frustration.

some people might say, we use lots of physics in our life blah blah blah, true, but that thing holds true for any other major sciences, they all link together. But the most important thing is, i Don't belive P6 is the most major science of them all, I think it is maths that engulfs every other science.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nasht)
    I think it is maths that engulfs every other science.
    Of course there are those that argue that maths is not a science itself but the language of science. A lot of mathematics is the study of the abstract and artificial intricacies of itself (maths is man-made) - this cannot be considered natural science.

ReputationRep:
    It's Natural Science. all overlap, all are useful and difficult.

ReputationRep:
    I think which is more fun will depend upon the course you're studying and to what level. I'm on the Advancing Physics course atm, and it's absolutely fascinating.

"All science is either physics or stamp collecting." - I can't remember who said that, but the point is that a lot of Chem comes down to Physics anyway.. in the end.

I love both, and if I was a little better at Physics (read: confident) I'd want to carry it on alongside the other sciences.

Biology isn't boring by the way. It's just the way it's taught.

ReputationRep:
    Love doing Chemistry here in England. But doing Physics with Edexcel that makes me feel sick. A lot of interesting things about physics are not in the syllabus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BCHL85)
    Love doing Chemistry here in England. But doing Physics with Edexcel that makes me feel sick. A lot of interesting things about physics are not in the syllabus.
    where are youfrom? was physics better there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spin)
    "All science is either physics or stamp collecting." - I can't remember who said that, but the point is that a lot of Chem comes down to Physics anyway.. in the end.
    Ernest Rutherford - but he was a bit of a ****.

Effectively at the heart of physics is the study of fundamental forces, which hold our universe together and fundamental particles of which it is made up, so all things do stem from this. This says more about the way our universe is made than that our arbitrarily divided subjects of study differ in merit. In essence a chemist is an electron physicist (although I doubt they'd like to be called that) as chemistry is essentially the study of what the electron does and utilising it to create new compounds.

I've heard the arguement that chemistry comes down to physics misemployed like above so many times it only mildly irritates me now. Suffice it to say that the western world we live in is highly dependent on discoveries and technologies pioneered by chemists, possibly even more so than physicists, and a quick look around will quickly show how central chemistry is to our lives.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely Chemistry I guess becouse it is so much easier for me. I do not agree that in Chemistry you have to learn a lot by heart (I have not learned a single eqesion by heart all I have to remeber are some deffinisions but you get them in physic as well). I like Chemistry as this is the only subject I can go into exam without revision and score 1oo%. My opinion is not very objective though as all my hate towards Physic comes from my hate for maths .

ReputationRep:
    This thread is ancient.

The way I understand it to be is this:
    Physics is primmarily interested in the fundamentals of the universe.
    Chemistry is a level up looking at how interactions between these fundamental components leds to reactions.
    Biology then teaches us how these reactions give us the complex life we find all around us.

These are very broad kinda areas and there are certainly now large areas of overlap. This is why we now have fields like biochemistry. Hence the arguement as to which is more important is rather meaningless.

With regards to which subject would should pick, I would argue for physics. I think that A-level physics is more interesting and unless you have a particular love of making prettty colours and learning what reaction they correspond to, I would avoid chemistry. The mathmatical basis of physics is also very useful if you want to do any science later. If you can I would try and do both chemistry and physics and drop one of your other sciences as they compliament each other well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    As opposed to chemistry then?

I'm very sorry you had a bad time taking the subject at AS level, but that certainly doesn't mean it is useless.
    No chemistry can be useful but not in everyday practical,like for example where I need to wash my hands and the water goes off I know if I went to the kitchen sink downstair I will find some water AKA physics chemistry has to do lets say with hidden stuff
    awww @ the hard AS level,actully I blame it on the teacher, usually if they made you like the subject you do well in it,same with chemistry to me,wasn't comfortable doing it

ReputationRep:
    Ernest Rutherford - but he was a bit of a ****.
    Oi dont knock him! He was a member of manchester physics dept. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by habosh)
    No chemistry can be useful but not in everyday practical,like for example where I need to wash my hands and the water goes off I know if I went to the kitchen sink downstair I will find some water AKA physics chemistry has to do lets say with hidden stuff
    How water interacts with itself and other molecules (i.e. dirt on your hands) is actually chemistry. Chemistry is very practical and everyday. Have you ever done any cooking, or washed any clothes or dishes? All of these things involve chemistry. The motor car is fuelled be a chemical reaction of petroleum which is refined using chemistry from crude oil. Paint, concrete, plastics, etc. all chemistry. Chemistry is just as obvious in everyday life as physics.

awww @ the hard AS level,actully I blame it on the teacher, usually if they made you like the subject you do well in it,same with chemistry to me,wasn't comfortable doing it
    Well that's a shame, it's difficult to encourage those that are good at chemistry into teaching because the pay is so poor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    Oi dont knock him! He was a member of manchester physics dept. :p:

Doesn't mean he was a nice guy! :p:

ReputationRep:
    Of course there are those that argue that maths is not a science itself but the language of science. A lot of mathematics is the study of the abstract and artificial intricacies of itself (maths is man-made) - this cannot be considered natural science.
    The only "man-made" thing in Mathematics is the Complex field. Everything is natural. Century by century new things are being found out, new conjectures are made, new theorems are being published. We're just a bit slow in the process (we as in mankind).

Almost everything in Mathematics is as natural as it gets.

Euclid.

P.S. I chose physics

ReputationRep:
    Euclid I exalt you! mathematics is everywhere if you like. it is the fundamentals i'd say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Euclid)
    The only "man-made" thing in Mathematics is the Complex field. Everything is natural. Century by century new things are being found out, new conjectures are made, new theorems are being published. We're just a bit slow in the process (we as in mankind).

Almost everything in Mathematics is as natural as it gets.

Euclid.

P.S. I chose physics
    I disagree, mathematics is in itself artificial, it's application to describe natural phenomena is science.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't mean he was a nice guy! :p:
    course it does

ReputationRep:
    I disagree, mathematics is in itself artificial, it's application to describe natural phenomena is science.
    Define your meaning of artificial. If you mean artificial as in man-made then I would like to see a proof. If you, yourself say that Mathematics is a tool, which is used to describe natural phenomina then Mathematics itself is the foundation of that natural phenomina.

Everything within mathematics has a reason. Everything has a connection. Mathematics is an art. As Newton said, God created everything by number, weight and measure.

I cannot explain the connection between everything, as my knowledge doesn't take me there (yet). An arguable topic one can indulge in is the notion of perfect numbers; the number 6 is in itself perfect (it's divisors add up to become the number itself) - it's also perfect in that way that it took God 6 days to create the universe, 28 is the next perfect number - the moon takes 28 days to orbit the Earth.

Now eveyrbody is entitled to their own opinion of course, however I am not raising a different issue here. I am stressing the fact that nothing in Mathematics has been made. Everything so far has been discovered.

The human mind isn't intellectual enough to explore and put meaning to all the coincidences in Mathematics, hence the creation of Complex Numbers.

Real numbers, prime numbers, perfect numbers, mersenne numbers, these are all as natural as any one can wish. I'd like to to put it as such that Mathematics has been blessed upon us to help find the meaning of life, to help understand the basic problems one encounters in everyday life. Without Mathematics we are all left to guess, never to find the truth.

Euclid.

ReputationRep:
    I admit that physics is the most fundamental of all the sciences but I get bored with people insisting that physicists are capable of explaining biological and chemical phenomena in these terms and therefore it is the most important science. This is because they can't. Although it is ridiculous to argue which science is the most important, I am biased (as a prospective biochemist) and protest that chemistry wins hands down. It is the central science and has a phenomenal number of applications across all disciplines in the biological and physical sciences and therefore requires skills from both. We need more chemists!

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.