The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

It's messed but cops are corrupt so we all know the outcome especially if it's dudes in question

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 81
Original post by EllieC130
Question- was anyone else dumb enough to think this guy hit a hemaphrodite? I thought the title meant the victim was a "woman with a penis" XD

I think the title is poorly worded. I thought the same thing.
Original post by Blaq_widow
You wouldn't. I probably wouldn't either but if she wanted to that's her prerogative.

The police pressed charges she didnt. She didnt know about it until they identified her after the arrest
I really don't see how you can complain about the guy getting what he deserved.
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Most men don't do this either. :rolleyes:

I didn't say most men do it. Please re-read my comment and previous comments from the thread. A lot of guys (not most) think it's acceptable/normal even if they wouldn't personally do it themselves. There really shouldn't be any defending this as a 'prank' just like you wouldn't get anyone defending a happy slap video as a prank.
Original post by cole-slaw
This has ruined his future career as it is.

No. HE has ruined his future care all by HIMSELF. No one else to blame.
Original post by Mimsycrafts
The police pressed charges she didnt. She didnt know about it until they identified her after the arrest

Even less reason to make the victim out to be unreasonable.
Original post by Dandaman1
"A student has been jailed for slapping a sleeping woman in the face with his penis while his friend filmed the indecent act on his phone."

"John Luke Dale, a 21-year-old criminology undergraduate who dreamt of being a solicitor, was sentenced to nine months imprisonment after admitting sexual assault."

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/10/22/student-jailed-slapping-sleeping-woman-face-penis_n_6032974.html

I'm not at all condoning his actions, but does this reaction seem a little harsh to you? Street thugs and arsonists get less time. Some aren't even jailed. It was unpleasant, for sure, but being locked away for nine months and having your life ruined over a crude prank? It seems like overkill. The video wasn't even published (which may have been cause for harsher legal action, although it would also be a separate crime).

"So what are you guys in for?"
"I stabbed an old lady."
"I held up a convenience store and stole a car"
"I got drunk one night and slapped somebody with my penis...."

This stuff happens in fraternities and sleepovers on a daily basis. But I guess she can sleep well at night knowing this dangerous psychopath is behind bars, and that his life will never be the same again.

Seems unnecessarily harsh sentence. But depends, like:
Was it his first time doing this?
Did he do something to that woman before?
Did he give her a black eye or knocked out her tooth?

I think he should have been sent to see psychiatrist and given restraining order or some community work. Not thrown in prison.

I will say that as a criminology student he has to be a bit daft, why let your mate keep the evidence on his phone, let alone film it..
(edited 9 years ago)
Even less reason to make the victim out to be unreasonable.

I completely agree :-) I said in an earlier post that the main problem is the media have only reported the sensationalist parts of the issue which means the whole point of what actually happened is missed.
Original post by green.tea
Because the necessity would be a clear reason, and one other than sex. Here the reason is clearly a idiotic prank. So the same applies to both. Just because one reason is stupid doesn't make it sexual.

That's really a matter for a jury to decide - it's not a matter of law.

I'm not sure whether you're mistaking me for the person that you started this debate with, but I was really only responding to the point you made about doctors later on.
Original post by Mimsycrafts
I completely agree :-) I said in an earlier post that the main problem is the media have only reported the sensationalist parts of the issue which means the whole point of what actually happened is missed.

I guess even if she did press charges, she still isn't the one who decided his sentence so she really shouldn't be mentioned/called out at all. Which is what actually makes people appear victim blaming.

And to the guys who keep parroting 'if a woman did this...' - I think the whole ****ing point is that women don't engage in these kind of activities because they generally don't see it as something acceptable to do 'for a laugh' :rolleyes:.

This!
Reply 92
And to the guys who keep parroting 'if a woman did this...' - I think the whole ****ing point is that women don't engage in these kind of activities because they generally don't see it as something acceptable to do 'for a laugh' :rolleyes:.

Well that's bs. I've seen plenty of "unacceptable" behaviour from women as well as men. Dickslapping, titslapping, motorboating, pantsing... are women still supposed to be puritans or something?
Original post by CJKay
Well that's bs. I've seen plenty of "unacceptable" behaviour from women as well as men. Dickslapping, titslapping, motorboating, pantsing... are women still supposed to be puritans or something?

I did say it's not generally acceptable. It's fair to say most women would see those kind of girls as disgusting as laddish and we certainly wouldn't be piping up and defending the behaviour as totally normal. That says something as to its acceptability. It also doesn't mean I think women are 'pure' and 'innocent' so stop reading into things that aren't there'.

And if you're seriously going to pretend that it's as common as typical lad behaviour like tea-bagging your friend in their sleep and do something like this to a sleeping stranger and filming it then I really don't know who you're trying to fool. What I'm referring to is the attitude that says it's ok - I'm well aware that a lot of TSR types wouldn't actually ever do it themselves :rolleyes:
It's a reasonable sentence; I don't get why people are disagreeing with it. A prank that might be misconstrued is hitting someone with a water balloon. Hitting someone with your penis while filming it is much more serious and deserves a jail sentence. Prison is not just about jailing people to because they are a risk to the public, it is also about setting an example, and showing that you cannot do things like this without serious repercussions.

I'd also like to see a few cases where you believe an Arsonist was given a light jail sentence.
lets be honest he totally deserves it, regardless of the gender inequalities or pranks or any of the stuff people are saying to excuse him the bloke dirsrespected someone in quite a crude manner and then the video was spread of a woman having a dongle rubbed against her cheek while she wasn't even conscious, bless her
Original post by WelshBluebird
No. HE has ruined his future care all by HIMSELF. No one else to blame.

Alright, chill out.
Oscar Pistorious, likely to serve 10 months in prison and this guy gets 9? For essentially touching a woman with his body? Just because it involves genitalia doesn't make it sexual, I seriously doubt he got any sexual pleasure from this act
Original post by yo radical one
I'm aware there are post-grad courses afterwards as well as the possibility to do a conversion course to law, but after hearing about his conviction, you just know he is some dumb "LAD" who is in love with the idea of the status and telling people he is a solicitor, rather than actually wanting to work.

Ah okay. Just clarifying. I'm glad this tool isn't in the profession. We don't need people like that ruining the trade.

Original post by Clip
Very unlikely to get SRA student membership now.

I'm not denying that. I was clarifying what route he would have taken. I don't think many jobs would touch him full stop...

He should count himself lucky he wasn't asked to sign the sex offenders register!!!
Reply 99
I did say it's not generally acceptable. It's fair to say most women would see those kind of girls as disgusting as laddish and we certainly wouldn't be piping up and defending the behaviour as totally normal. That says something as to its acceptability. It also doesn't mean I think women are 'pure' and 'innocent' so stop reading into things that aren't there'.

And if you're seriously going to pretend that it's as common as typical lad behaviour like tea-bagging your friend in their sleep and do something like this to a sleeping stranger and filming it then I really don't know who you're trying to fool. What I'm referring to is the attitude that says it's ok - I'm well aware that a lot of TSR types wouldn't actually ever do it themselves :rolleyes:

I am in no way pretending it's common behaviour, and the lad stereotype is venomous, but to pretend that women don't partake in a lot of "unwomanly" behaviour, as you stated, is flat out wrong. I don't know why you're extrapolating what I said into how I feel about this particular situation, because I didn't even comment on that.
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending