skills5342
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
My name is Joseph. Just graduated Harvard as a History major. Hate my job. Would appreciate any advice.

Did 3 summer internships.
(1) Capitol Hill
(2) marketing for Coke
(3) a non-profit.

As a senior, I applied for 100s of jobs. 50+ companies interviewed me. Finally got an offer: Finance, $72K, good hours (8:30-6). I accepted gratefully.

Problem: Depression.

The problem's not THIS job. It's offices in general. Being chained to a chair. Indoors. Acting fake. slowly dying in front of computer. Don't think a life of that is worth any amount of money.

So I’m asking for help.

Any jobs with the following criteria?

1. outdoors
2. moving around [/U]
3. maximizes opportunities for future
4. interacting with others
5. creative
6. safe
7. $ is obviously valued
8. in a large city
9. Music: I love music writing/producing pop music. As elusive as it is to have a career in that field, I'm determined to have a (A) a job that supports, or at least gives me the time/money to sustain the hobby as I chase the dream of full time work as an artist in the "industry."

Plan on making a list of outdoors jobs and using vacation times to shadow them. Will either find one I like or acquire a newfound humility for the office.

Thank you so much for any feedback.

Joseph
Observatory
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Join the army.
ShadabAhmed
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Which house did you attend at Harvard, Lowell or Kirkland?

What was your SAT score pls?
Hedgeman49
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by skills5342)
My name is Joseph. Just graduated Harvard as a History major. Hate my job. Would appreciate any advice.

Did 3 summer internships.
(1) Capitol Hill
(2) marketing for Coke
(3) a non-profit.

As a senior, I applied for 100s of jobs. 50+ companies interviewed me. Finally got an offer: Finance, $72K, good hours (8:30-6). I accepted gratefully.

Problem: Depression.

The problem's not THIS job. It's offices in general. Being chained to a chair. Indoors. Acting fake. slowly dying in front of computer. Don't think a life of that is worth any amount of money.

So I’m asking for help.

Any jobs with the following criteria?

1.outdoors
2.moving around [/U]
3.maximizes opportunities for future
4.interacting with others
5.creative
6. safe
7. $ is obviously valued
8. in a large city
9.Music: I love music writing/producing pop music. As elusive as it is to have a career in that field, I'm determined to have a (A) a job that supports, or at least gives me the time/money to sustain the hobby as I chase the dream of full time work as an artist in the "industry."

Plan on making a list of outdoors jobs and using vacation times to shadow them. Will either find one I like or acquire a newfound humility for the office.

Thank you so much for any feedback.

Joseph
I'm not sure such a job exists, not with good money and / or in a city.

You'll probably get used to office life. Given you have pretty good hours, you could use your leisure time to pursue outdoor hobbies?
Antzlck
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Sales? At somewhere like Procter & Gamble or even Microsoft. Its not creative but you could pursue music in your free time.
Shillington
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Feels like this was a copy and paste jobby. Not sure why it's posted here on a UK finance forum? Googling the first line comes up with 6 exact copy posts on different forums.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (182)
61.28%
Yes- I don't like it (12)
4.04%
No- I want it (81)
27.27%
No- I don't want it (22)
7.41%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise