Turn on thread page Beta

What *are* the holes in biros for? watch

ReputationRep:
    Biro's were originally invented for the armed forces are general all purpose writing implements. I believe the little hole in the casing of Bic Biro's is to allow military personel to use them as impromptu snokels should they need to dive into some water, for whatever reason.

Yes I did make that all up. Might be true tho...

ReputationRep:
    Its a safecty device to stop people from chocking on them. If their is a whole in it there is must less chance of suffication.

P.S I feel clever being able to answerr this after 10 voka redbulls and4 pints and being sick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fly By)
    sorry whitefire, you just can't tell whether people are guys or dolls on here. especially with your football shirt!

No problem... it was quite amusing actually.. but now I'm just ... *and* I'm going up to see leeds/charlton next week.. what timing.

J x

ReputationRep:
    I found the answer, on the Bic website, it was pressure as I thought..

Why is there a hole in the barrel of BIC Classic Stic® Pens?
    To equalize the pressure inside the pen with the pressure outside the pen. These vents, or holes in the pen barrels, basically help to prevent ink leakage. Approximately 90 percent of all pens are vented to prevent leakage. The pens that do not have vented barrel contain sealed ink systems and are pressurized.

(http://www.bicworld.com/inter_en/sta.../faq/index.asp)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whitefire)
    No problem... it was quite amusing actually.. but now I'm just ... *and* I'm going up to see leeds/charlton next week.. what timing.

J x
    hehe. oh dear you really needed to win that game yesterday. what do you tihnk your chances of staying up are now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calumc)
    I found the answer, on the Bic website, it was pressure as I thought..

Why is there a hole in the barrel of BIC Classic Stic® Pens?
    To equalize the pressure inside the pen with the pressure outside the pen. These vents, or holes in the pen barrels, basically help to prevent ink leakage. Approximately 90 percent of all pens are vented to prevent leakage. The pens that do not have vented barrel contain sealed ink systems and are pressurized.

(http://www.bicworld.com/inter_en/sta.../faq/index.asp)
    hey, cool, thanks.. although it has to be said, the other slightly less realistic answers are very amusing too...

J x

(ps: if anyone hasn't seen/heard about it, have a look at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=4146756343 - it's *really* funny...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whitefire)
    It seems silly to put holes in biros for no reason at all, so can someone tell me: What *are* the holes in biros for?
    - twisted thoughts appearing in my head...- :rolleyes: lol

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.