Is university rank really that important?

Watch
Joyful_soul
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
As it is made out to be?

How different is graduating from Exeter University compared to, say, UCLan (ex-poly)?

Is it worth the extra expenses and inconvenience to move out far away to Exeter?
somemightsay888
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
This is what I wonder too. I hear things like "Employers never use the Uni league table, some don't even know it exists" to "Your University is vital to the job you get, if you get a degree from a 'bad' University it won't mean as much". All I can think of is that most employers will know Universities like UofB, Exeter, Oxbridge etc. whereas when you say UCLan they won't have a clue so may dismiss it. I don't believe employers don't have an idea of which Uni's are and aren't reputable though
Joyful_soul
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by somemightsay888)
This is what I wonder too. I hear things like "Employers never use the Uni league table, some don't even know it exists" to "Your University is vital to the job you get, if you get a degree from a 'bad' University it won't mean as much". All I can think of is that most employers will know Universities like UofB, Exeter, Oxbridge etc. whereas when you say UCLan they won't have a clue so may dismiss it. I don't believe employers don't have an idea of which Uni's are and aren't reputable though
So I should pay more and go to Exeter?
navarre
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It is important, but it isn't everything. Do you value your future career more than your University experience? If so, it might be worth going to one higher up the League Table.
somemightsay888
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Joyful_soul)
So I should pay more and go to Exeter?
Go to the best University you can go to. "Best" encompasses rank, social life, student satisfaction etc. Exeter seems to excel in all these areas so go there
tazza ma razza
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
smh rep is everything...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (103)
13.24%
I'm not sure (33)
4.24%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (241)
30.98%
I have already dropped out (19)
2.44%
I'm not a current university student (382)
49.1%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed