Is doing ICS volunteering worth it?

Watch this thread
This discussion is closed.
Joyful_soul
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Why should anyone do it?

Is it good on the CV?

What would someone get out of it?

http://www.vso.org.uk/volunteer/oppo...8-25-year-olds

Not sure if I should do it...
indigobluesss
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Joyful_soul)
Why should anyone do it?

Is it good on the CV?

I'm in the same boat as you, so I'll be quite intrigued to hear the response :P
Shahh112
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Why should anyone do it?

Is it good on the CV?

It really depends on what you're looking to gain out of it - I just got back from 3 months abroad

Posted from TSR Mobile
Joyful_soul
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Shahh112)
It really depends on what you're looking to gain out of it - I just got back from 3 months abroad

Posted from TSR Mobile

What did you do?

What did you gain from it?
Shahh112
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
What did you do?

What did you gain from it?
Message me
PandasEverywhere
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I haven't found any revies of ICS that weren't totally positive.The project focussed more on the personal development of the volunteers than actually improving people's lives. I went because I believe I'd be doing the latter but I didn't, which led me to being frustrated with it. I went to Tanzania with Raleigh ICS in summer 2017. We were working on a SWASH project (School, water and hygiene sanitation. The acronym doesn't quite work but still). Overall the charity did good work but not by us regular British volunteers. The Brits were assigned into groups of six and each group went to a different village. Each group also had around 6 Tanzanian volunteers also doing ICS. In our village our group delivered lessons on hygiene and sanitation and held community action days (essentially a fayre related to hygiene and health held twice in our time in the village (2 months)). We also helped build new toilets for the school as well as a hand washing facility for the children to use.The project was finished and the lessons delivered so therefore it was a success and the people's lives improved. However I encountered some problems:1. Brits can't speak Swahili. If we can't speak how can we teach the kids? The British volunteers were told to.be in the lessons however weren't doing anything other than leading basic games whilst the Tanzanians did the actual teaching. This led to me feeling useless.2. None of us were qualified teachers or had any background in health at all. This was a problem because we were expected to deliver lessons on vital health topics but weren't qualified in medicine. This includes the team leader. You can see why this is a problem.Furthermore no-one verified our lessons to see if the content was accurate or not so some of the information could have been false; we don't know.3. We're not buildersWe were assistants to the builders Raleigh had hired. Why couldn't local people have been hired instead?4.You can't travel.I understand not being allowed to travel during the placement of course, however no one, including team leaders, were allowed to travel before, or after the placement. Wanted to see Kilimanjaro after the project is finished? Tough.Overall good work was done but I still feel I wasted my summer. Yes, I made friends but I also made friends travelling earlier in the year. I feel I could have been more charitable if I had worked over the summer, donated some of my money to charity and volunteered in soup kitchens for homeless people.Furthermore the money spent to send us there (I think ~£8,000 a person) could easily have been spent on local builders and bringing in qualified health professionals to do it. But as my team leader said in passing "that's not the point of the project"; self development of the volunteers is. If I had a chance to do it again I wouldn't and instead I'd volunteer for a charity project that where I actually make a difference. It's not a volontourism placement but from a British point of view, it may as well be.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (229)
42.17%
The paper was reasonable (231)
42.54%
Not feeling great about that exam... (49)
9.02%
It was TERRIBLE (34)
6.26%

Watched Threads