The Student Room Group

Biology OCR practical /microscopy

hi was wondering if anyone could recommend any books good for learning microscope drawings from for both the written exams and more importantly the practical.

Does any1 know what the practical is about / or any clues? my best bet is RQ...

btw i have a list of all the drawings you need for this year and you also need to know drawings from last year apparently - agghh!!

list is of all the A2 drawings neccessary for this specification

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
what drawings??
Reply 2
whats in the list?
Reply 3
yeah whats in the list of drawings?

I was told by the teacher that the practical this year is quite likely going to be on photosynthesis, but it also involves a bit of 'something else', which im not told. Bare in mind, the teachers only know the equipment they are given and not whats going to be on the paper.

Anyone else been hinted anything?
Reply 4
the list is basically of all the drawings u need 2 have done - for a2 ocr bio!!!!!!!!!

i tink prac mite b on RQ not photosynthesis - cuz its alwayz linked to plannin and frm teachers hints i wud say RQ
Reply 5
Well i was told its either on respiration or photosynthesis. This is the A2 one not the AS.
Reply 6
do u know what drawings we might need 2 do?
Reply 7
Does anyone know what previous microscope slides have been? Will it definately be something pictured in the Biology 1 book?
Reply 8
this is for a2 ! for AS - i guess it cud b frm bio 1 book
Reply 9
From what i know the whole point of the practical exam is that it isn't meant to be based on too much prior knowledge in terms of the microscopy. They may ask you to draw a picture of what you see on one slide and compare it to another slide. You will not be asked "what is this a cross section of"?
Reply 10
From what my teacher has told me, this year, there is more than one prac to carry out which replaces any microscope slide work........told me not to expect any slides!?
Reply 11
yeah i think thats quite rite, I heard a rumour no microscope work was involved too. Although, ironically, my bio teacher suddenly said : "check you can draw all the microscope drawings"......I think perhaps theres a microscope question, but u dont actually have to do anything with a microscope?
Reply 12
there should be a microscope work, cos my teacher sed we have to prepare the slides ourself, and we've been doing alot of practice on it, and hes been teling us how to draw, not shade etc. so, im pretty sure there'll b microscope work.
holly
Reply 13
agreed

ive heard that u dont even get a microscope but instead they give you a high power drawing. its more than likely that it will be meiosis and the reason that we are not asked to draw our own meiosis diagrams is because candidates mostly fail to correctly identify meiosis under the 'scope.

speculation of course
Reply 14
i too think that use of a microscope is not required as my teacher said there is a twist.

one student asked a teacher in my college: ''what slide to learn?''
She replied - '' who said anything about a slide?''

ne suggestions on what the drawing could be on?
Reply 15
Sarky
Well i was told its either on respiration or photosynthesis. This is the A2 one not the AS.

well AS expt can also comeup but i think it can be on repiration and germination because it is supposed to be linked with planning..

respiration expt. on germinating seeds:

1) Using up oxygen during respiration
2) carbondioxide from germinating seeds
3) energy releasing in germinating seeds

other expt. on respiration:

1) aerobic repiration in yeast
2) anaerobic repiration in yeast
Reply 16
any ideas "how" we carry out the experiment? my teacher said we are CERTAINLY NOT using a respirometer
Reply 17
~Revol~
any ideas "how" we carry out the experiment? my teacher said we are CERTAINLY NOT using a respirometer

really...okay than it cannot be the rate of respiration of oxygen uptake of germinating seeds...because this can onlly be tested using a respirometer

but if its a simple equipment like a test tube and a syringe then it can be the one to test the production of carbondioxide by germinating seeds..
Reply 18
becky18
really...okay than it cannot be the rate of respiration of oxygen uptake of germinating seeds...because this can onlly be tested using a respirometer

but if its a simple equipment like a test tube and a syringe then it can be the one to test the production of carbondioxide by germinating seeds..

test for carbon dioxide:
lime water goes milky...

this expt duration is 15-20 minutes
Reply 19
could the experiment be on the effect of temperature on rate of respiration of yeast? :confused:
could the drawing be on meiosis in embryo sacs e.g. embryo of shepherds purse :confused:

Latest

Trending

Trending