Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hello i did as chemistry for life module in jan. i thought i did rly well but i only got 53 out of 90 which is a high d.
    on the script which i got back to see where i went wrong and to help me with revision i noticed that the mark was out of 75 and i got 48 which turns out to be 64% a definite C.
    so i changed the final mark from 75 to 90 by doing 90 divided by 75 then mulitpying it by 48 to get my mark out of 75 it turns out i got 57.6 which is 58 and you only needed 54 to get a c.
    do u think i have a good case to fight here as i was very upset and have already paid for a resit in june?
    thanx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chocolate_Lover)
    hello i did as chemistry for life module in jan. i thought i did rly well but i only got 53 out of 90 which is a high d.
    on the script which i got back to see where i went wrong and to help me with revision i noticed that the mark was out of 75 and i got 48 which turns out to be 64% a definite C.
    so i changed the final mark from 75 to 90 by doing 90 divided by 75 then mulitpying it by 48 to get my mark out of 75 it turns out i got 57.6 which is 58 and you only needed 54 to get a c.
    do u think i have a good case to fight here as i was very upset and have already paid for a resit in june?
    thanx
    Hi

was this foundation chemistry? there could be a lot of people that scored highly in this and therefore the board takes down your mark ........ ( it sucks ) -

i think it is a little too late to enquire about it, but just hammer the next two in the summer........ if you need any help, you know i'll help you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by interiority)
    It does work both ways... In my Stats paper last year, I'm pretty sure so many people did badly, they somehow positively weighted the marks. I got something like 90+/100 for my UMS mark, and I don't think I even answered 90% of the paper.
    i don't understand..... i got 90/90 in an AS chemistry module and i'm ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN NO MATTER WHAT that i got a couple of parts of the last question wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

so weird

ReputationRep:
    No it has on the mark grid at the back of my results slip that u need 54/90 for a c and i calculated so did my dad 2 clarify it and it worked out i got 58/90 well into a c
    dont u think i have a case?

ReputationRep:
    No it has on the mark grid at the back of my results slip that u need 54/90 for a c and i calculated so did my dad 2 clarify it and it worked out i got 58/90 well into a c
    dont u think i have a case?
    yes of course but it might be too late

ReputationRep:
    it shouldnt b i only got my script 2 day

ReputationRep:
    it shouldnt b i only got my script 2 day
    doesn't matter, enquires about exams are something like 3 weeks after results are tiven i think..... i know it sucks but you still have a strong case

go to your teacher ASAP

ReputationRep:
    im going out now!

cya

ReputationRep:
    im gonna go on tues mornin i think i def have a case as the final results were on the grid

ReputationRep:
    its jus it caused so much upset and it means i dont have 2 retake now as c is my target grade

ReputationRep:
    im gonna see my teacher but stil i was a good 5 marks nore than it said

ReputationRep:
    thanx
    I'm afraid you have no case at all.

Examiners cannot set exams of exactly the same difficulty, and the performance of candidates varies each sitting. The conversion of raw marks to UMS points reflects this, i.e. if most people do well in the exam then the grade boundaries will be higher. Raw marks can be scaled up or down. You do not need full marks in an exam to get full UMS points.

The conversion of raw marks to UMS points is complicated and involves a lot of statistical work by the exam board people. The relationship between raw marks and UMS points is not linear. The scale factor is not constant. If you were to plot a graph of raw marks vs. UMS points, the line would not be straight - it would generally be giraffe shaped, with a steep bit in the middle and more horizontal bits at the top and low ends.

Remember, UMS is a dark art. Do not worry about it - that's the job of the exam boards.

ReputationRep:
    but i have the grade boundaries it is 54/90 for a C i got 58

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.