The Student Room Group

Universities do not regard Sociology as a "soft" A-Level

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nulli tertius
Again, you have just gold-plated the requirements in two separate ways.

First of all the Trinity list has a binary division into arts and sciences. You will see that economics is specifically listed as an arts subject. You, not Trinity, have created the class of "quantitative Social Science" for which you, not Trinity, have declared sociology unsuitable.

Secondly you have listed a hypothetical candidate with four A levels. It is clear that the requirements from Lists A1, A2 and B relate only to the first three A levels only. It would be absurd to say that for someone reading maths: maths, further maths, physics and performing arts would be suitable but someone reading maths, further maths, physics and sociology would not.

I did not say Sociology would be unsuitable for an Economics degree, just less relevant.
Original post by jambojim97
I did not say Sociology would be unsuitable for an Economics degree, just less relevant.

No less relevant than Latin.

The point is that a candidate taking A level sociology is, provided they have A level maths, and contrary to what you say, in no worse position applying for economics at Trinity Cambridge than any other candidate with A level maths.
If they don't then they're stupid, it's a joke that this is considered a legitimate A-Level, it's pretty much entirely GCSE standard memorisation.
For medicine, Biology and Chemistry are a MUST. The other two subjects can be anything you want, as long as they don't have a practical or vocational bias like Media or Travel and Tourism (they are on medical school blacklists!).

There are loads of myths around medical school subject requirements, such as "you need maths", and "you need to take all sciences". In reality, that is not true.

What you DO need is Biology and Chemistry, a high UKCAT score, good GCSEs, and tons of relevant work experience.
Generally speaking, your other two subjects dont mean jack ****.

A bit of anecdotal evidence for you: I know someone studying Biology, Chemistry, Law. They've got offers. Don't worry.

Biology is NOT a must for A2, however anyone applying without Maths and Chemistry A2 will be disadvantaged and are unlikely to get into a top 10 uni.

*Note* Unlikely, not impossible.
No less relevant than Latin.

The point is that a candidate taking A level sociology is, provided they have A level maths, and contrary to what you say, in no worse position applying for economics at Trinity Cambridge than any other candidate with A level maths.

I wouldn't be so sure... Whilst Sociology develops knowledge and skills related to the Social Sciences and social research methods, this would be considerably less relevant to an Economics degree, not because of the content, but because of the skills developed.

A traditional humanities such as history develops a broader skillset (analytical, essay writing blah blah) which complements the highly numerical nature of an Economics degree at Cambridge. The same cannot be said for Sociology.

However, subjects combinations are by no means the deciding factor when applying to Cambridge: personal statement, UMS etc.
Original post by tomfailinghelp
If they don't then they're stupid, it's a joke that this is considered a legitimate A-Level, it's pretty much entirely GCSE standard memorisation.

Do you take A Level Sociology? Yes, a lot of it is just memorisation, but you do have to apply evaluative skills that are post-GCSE. So, it seems some pretty prestigious institutions are "stupid". What a shame.
I wouldn't be so sure... Whilst Sociology develops knowledge and skills related to the Social Sciences and social research methods, this would be considerably less relevant to an Economics degree, not because of the content, but because of the skills developed.

A traditional humanities such as history develops a broader skillset (analytical, essay writing blah blah) which complements the highly numerical nature of an Economics degree at Cambridge. The same cannot be said for Sociology.

However, subjects combinations are by no means the deciding factor when applying to Cambridge: personal statement, UMS etc.

I am afraid this is cobblers. There are no secret, unspoken preferred subject combinations.

This is the problem. Trinity lays it out on a tablecloth what it wants and still people make up their own versions of their entrance requirements.
I am afraid this is cobblers. There are no secret, unspoken preferred subject combinations.

This is the problem. Trinity lays it out on a tablecloth what it wants and still people make up their own versions of their entrance requirements.

No, you are right, there are no "unspoken" rules. For an Arts degree Sociology is fine. However, a numerate degree like Economics is a different story.
No, you are right, there are no "unspoken" rules. For an Arts degree Sociology is fine. However, a numerate degree like Economics is a different story.

No, in Cambridge terms, economics is an arts degree as I put in a previous post.
No, in Cambridge terms, economics is an arts degree as I put in a previous post.

The BaEcon degree is an entirely different degree classification altogether.

No it isn't. The Cambridge tripos system applies to economics as it does to classics, history, maths and natural sciences.
No it isn't. The Cambridge tripos system applies to economics as it does to classics, history, maths and natural sciences.

In practice a Maths degree is a world away from a Classics degree.
In practice a Maths degree is a world away from a Classics degree.

That is attempting to change the subject.

I said

Trinity says sociology is suitable for those wishing to study arts subjects.

You said

unsuitable if you wanted to do a ... quantitative Social Science e.g. Economics.

I said

the Trinity list has a binary division into arts and sciences. You will see that economics is specifically listed as an arts subject. You, not Trinity, have created the class of "quantitative Social Science" for which you, not Trinity, have declared sociology unsuitable.

You lied

I said

You said

Whilst Sociology develops knowledge and skills related to the Social Sciences and social research methods, this would be considerably less relevant to an Economics degree, not because of the content, but because of the skills developed.

I said

You said

For an Arts degree Sociology is fine. However, a numerate degree like Economics is a different story.

I said

in Cambridge terms, economics is an arts degree as I put in a previous post.

You said

I said

You attempted to change the subject
sociology is such a worthwhile and beautiful subject , it really does need more recognition , for many people it leads on to doing a degree in sociology.

I said

You said

I said

You lied

I said

You said

I said

You said

I said

You said

I said

Nah m8 we just lost focus...

Just remind we what we are arguing about?
Do you take A Level Sociology? Yes, a lot of it is just memorisation, but you do have to apply evaluative skills that are post-GCSE. So, it seems some pretty prestigious institutions are "stupid". What a shame.

Yes, I do. By 'evaluative skills' do you mean 'write two different arguments'? Because gee, all that requires is memorisation!

But no, I don't think it does seem that 'some pretty prestigious institutions are "stupid"', because everyone who isn't gullible will realise that they don't take such A-Levels as seriously as others, but they cannot admit that.
To be fair I'm hardly surprised that Trinity see it as less suitable given the range of courses they offer. Clearly a traditional arts/humanities subject such as History would be better for HSPS given the breadth of skills it develops. Sociology just develops knowledge of Sociology, social sciences and research methods alongside some pretty basic evaluative skills. Whilst these skills may be useful for social science degrees such as Politics or Social Policy at RG/Redbrick unis, Cambridge really strives for the best.

However, that's not to say Sociology and other Social Science A Levels don't complement the more traditional; so you are probably fine in combination, hence why Sociology is only of "limited suitability."

This is the list I'm referring to: http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/acceptable-level-subject-combinations

Thanks. You have good points there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tomfailinghelp
Yes, I do. By 'evaluative skills' do you mean 'write two different arguments'? Because gee, all that requires is memorisation!

But no, I don't think it does seem that 'some pretty prestigious institutions are "stupid"', because everyone who isn't gullible will realise that they don't take such A-Levels as seriously as others, but they cannot admit that.

Well they do about General Studies and Critical Thinking, which according to UCAS, are supposed to be the same as an A Level in Maths. Also, Birmingham has a list of excluded A Levels, and if they wanted to they could put Sociology on that list. But they haven't... I wonder why?! In fact, Scly is PREFERRED for some of their courses!

And no, by evaluative skills I mean developing detailed knowledge (memorisation), alongside actual understanding and being able to apply your knowledge to a question. That's not just comparing functionalism and Marxism, but bringing in a wider range of concepts into your essays, such as methodology and theoretical bias. That's what got me my high A at AS... Sure, not nearly as complex as History, but at the end of the day, it teaches you valuable knowledge about research methods and theory which are highly transferable to all social sciences and many humanities.

http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/sportex/sport-exercise-sciences.aspx?OpenSection=EntryRequirements

PS. I was being sarcastic regarding university admissions protocols lacking intelligence.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Humzaawan123
sociology is such a worthwhile and beautiful subject , it really does need more recognition , for many people it leads on to doing a degree in sociology.

Unlike the A Level and universities, the story for the degree and employers is rather the opposite.

I said

You said

I said

You lied

I said

You said

I said

You said

I said

You said

I said