The Student Room Group

****ing hate my degree

Really hate my degree, especially the mathematical element (which is a large chunk of it)

Always told myself i was interested in Physics/Astro, but i'm finding it SO difficult and extremely uninteresting.

Really don't know what to do, feel like i'm totally lost, like i want to just leave and go to a whole new country and forget this ridiculous idea that when you leave school you get a good degree and go work in a ****ing bank.

Anyone got any advice, i know this sounds desperately needy and pathetic, i just don't know who to talk to about it
Do you have a tutor or some sort of pastoral/career people at your uni? If you do, you should go see them and talk about your worries over your course.
If there's another degree you're interested in at your uni, you could see if you could change course? These feelings for your current course might be temporary, give it another week or two and see how you feel, even ask yourself if there is something outside of university that you'd enjoy doing?
Reply 2
Original post by fieldy_xo
Do you have a tutor or some sort of pastoral/career people at your uni? If you do, you should go see them and talk about your worries over your course.
If there's another degree you're interested in at your uni, you could see if you could change course? These feelings for your current course might be temporary, give it another week or two and see how you feel, even ask yourself if there is something outside of university that you'd enjoy doing?

Yeah there is, i guess my problem is i don't know what i want to do, i'm terrified that if i drop out i'd be giving up on a 'good opportunity', and i'd want to come back (like you said, feelings could be temporary, but i having from when i started about a month ago so i'm not sure).

Another worry is that i wouldn't be able to change and i would've wasted so much money :/ Thanks for your advice
Reply 3
I talked to my tutors and was no further forward. I've just stuck with my course now in my final year.
Reply 4
Original post by cdoyle
I talked to my tutors and was no further forward. I've just stuck with my course now in my final year.

What do you mean no further forward? Has your degree got better since then?
Might be worth seeing out the year, and then trying to transfer to a better course.
Reply 6
Original post by Hollywood Hogan
Might be worth seeing out the year, and then trying to transfer to a better course.

But then, wouldn't the whole year be a total waste of time and money? I wouldn't be able to switch to the second year of a different course would i :/ (i.e second year Natsci to 2nd year PPE?)
Original post by physicso
But then, wouldn't the whole year be a total waste of time and money? I wouldn't be able to switch to the second year of a different course would i :/ (i.e second year Natsci to 2nd year PPE?)

It would need to be a similar course in order to transfer to another course in the second year. That is what I did. Otherwise, you would need to leave now and re-apply for 2015. I noticed quite a few students drop out of Physics, one of the hardest subjects.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply