The Student Room Group

How to nail resits as well as A2's?!

Hi I did ok in my AS results (ABCD) but need to resit biology (C) and Chemistry (B) to get A in chem and B in bio. Im doing them in summer with my A2 and want to revise AS early to get them out of the way. But how do i revise AS with new A2 work at the same time? My brain isnt that big! Any advice or your experiences will be greatly appreciated. Also with learning chemistry especially... How do i learn all the different mechanisms that are in AS and A2 and not muddle them between exams/years? Thanks for replies/help!
Reply 1
Original post by Spiceyweena
Hi I did ok in my AS results (ABCD) but need to resit biology (C) and Chemistry (B) to get A in chem and B in bio. Im doing them in summer with my A2 and want to revise AS early to get them out of the way. But how do i revise AS with new A2 work at the same time? My brain isnt that big! Any advice or your experiences will be greatly appreciated. Also with learning chemistry especially... How do i learn all the different mechanisms that are in AS and A2 and not muddle them between exams/years? Thanks for replies/help!

If you're doing AQA chemistry there's only 4 mechanisms to learn at AS - Nucleophilic substitution, electrophilic addition, elimination and free radical substitution

At A2 the nucleophilic substitution and electrophilic addition "swap" so you have nucleophilic addition and electrophilic substitution, along with nucleophilic addition/elimination.

The ones from AS also come up so that in itself is a form of revision. You need to know the AS stuff really well to do well at A2 so once you've done A2 AS should be much easier

Again this is similar for biology (I do edexcel). A lot of the DNA structure stuff comes up again so it will become easy after doing A2 - you'll only need to revise parts of the AS stuff because again some of it comes up again
Reply 2
Original post by TajwarC
If you're doing AQA chemistry there's only 4 mechanisms to learn at AS - Nucleophilic substitution, electrophilic addition, elimination and free radical substitution

At A2 the nucleophilic substitution and electrophilic addition "swap" so you have nucleophilic addition and electrophilic substitution, along with nucleophilic addition/elimination.

The ones from AS also come up so that in itself is a form of revision. You need to know the AS stuff really well to do well at A2 so once you've done A2 AS should be much easier

Again this is similar for biology (I do edexcel). A lot of the DNA structure stuff comes up again so it will become easy after doing A2 - you'll only need to revise parts of the AS stuff because again some of it comes up again

Thanks! Im doing OCR chem and AQA bio but its pretty similar mechanisms i think. So good that it overlaps as well!

Quick Reply