The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Please keep in mind that there mustn't be any component score lower than 550 if you are planning to apply at Newcastle
Original post by TrayTrayDinh
Thanks for the reply!
I've been hearing that it's around 670+ 😫
Original post by whynot2014
Please keep in mind that there mustn't be any component score lower than 550 if you are planning to apply at Newcastle

Thanks for the info!
Original post by utsav12
Hey Guys

In addition to my Skype session I also provide a personal statement service and the response so far has been very good. direct message me for more information!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi utsav12 I tried pm you but it's not working I am applying for dentistry this year so I would be interested in the services you provide and the cost if you are able to pm me directly
Reply 383
I've got 3A*, 7A, 1B at GSCE level, 1A, 3B(including Bio and Chem) at AS and 632.5 on my UKCAT with a Band 2 in SJT. I also have 3 weeks work experience at 2 general dental clinics. Any advice as to which university would be my best bet with these stats?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 384
Original post by whynot2014
Dundee? :smile:

I'm on Access to Medicine, so I can only apply to schools that accept Access-of which dundee don't. Idk what my 4th choice is. haha sheffield maybe?
Original post by vagabond queen
I am so torn between applying this year or waiting and taking a gap year to get some more experience as it is just SO competitive.
I got 5 A*'s and 5 A's at GCSE, 4 A's at AS this year and so am hoping to get A*AA next year? maybe more?
Ive only had one week work experience in a (private) dental practice and a week with the orthodontists/maxillofacial consultants/ restorative dentists in a hospital, including one day in a dental lab. I also volunteer once a week at my local NHS hospital which does give me good clinical experience and appreciation.
Im just always doubting that my work experience is enough. I know people will be applying with months of experience but I am finding it so hard to get any.
Do people think I have a shot? Particularly looking at Barts and Manchester as favourites.

I would say get around 670 and feel more confident and in better position to apply where you like to, this year
What universities don't require the UKCAT or BMAT?

What universities don't require 2 weeks work experience?
Hi! I just did my ukcat and got an average of 658 :frown: which i am not sure about, my other stats are 9 A*s and 3 As, i got AAAA for as and i am predicted A*A*A.I want to do dentistry next year do you think it would still be worth applying to king's or queen mary's?
Original post by Star12355
Hi! I just did my ukcat and got an average of 658 :frown: which i am not sure about, my other stats are 9 A*s and 3 As, i got AAAA for as and i am predicted A*A*A.I want to do dentistry next year do you think it would still be worth applying to king's or queen mary's?

not kings,applying with less than 670 is a bit risky
your grades are obviously good though
Original post by yasmin#2
not kings,applying with less than 670 is a bit risky
your grades are obviously good though

Thank you for the reply! What about Queens?
Me since my UKCAT score was really disappointing...
have you started to revise for it?
Hi, my stats are
gcse: 5 A*'S 6 A'S and a C
AS: ABBB
and a disappointing score of 617.5 for the ukcat :frown:
I have 2 weeks work experience at a GDP and a day at a maxillofacial surgery. I've also completed a level 3 city and guilds qualification in dental decontamination and from that i got a summer job at a dentist decontaminating their instruments. What uni's do you think i should apply to or am i better of taking a gap year and applying next year?
Thanks in advance x
Good luck for your ukcat! when is it?
(edited 8 years ago)
Think you're better of achieving 3 A's and apply, you should look for long term care home, that's what gonna make your application really strong, best of luck with whatever you decide

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for the reply!
I've been hearing that it's around 670+ 😫

I got 632.5 and 530 in one section and starting at Newcastle this month :smile:
Original post by matthewames97
I got 632.5 and 530 in one section and starting at Newcastle this month :smile:

I got 620 in my UK cat :frown: and 440 in vr. I really like Newcastle is it still worth applying
I got 620 in my UK cat :frown: and 440 in vr. I really like Newcastle is it still worth applying

It all depends on what this years average is looking like. Last years was quite a lot lower than the past few years. Although 440 is especially low for a subsection so I would be careful when looking at unis, and think about applying to at least one without UKCAT
Original post by matthewames97
It all depends on what this years average is looking like. Last years was quite a lot lower than the past few years. Although 440 is especially low for a subsection so I would be careful when looking at unis, and think about applying to at least one without UKCAT

I know I think I was too stressed when I got In there so I screwed it up 😭 The averages won't be released up October this year so I don't know what the average will look like
Im going to apply to Leeds as well. Did you do the BMAT?
(edited 8 years ago)
I didn't but I know people that did that didn't do very well in it!

Latest