The Student Room Group

if someone goes to join syrian rebels?

if someone goes to join Syrian rebels NOT ISIS ,fighting both ISIS and Syrian regime would he still be considered a terrorist?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
yes
Reply 2
I would imagine so. Any foreign fighter is not to be trusted.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by aka r
yes

and your argument is ?
Reply 4
Original post by Ggmu!
I would imagine so. Any foreign fighter is not to be trusted.

Posted from TSR Mobile

definitely not to be trusted but does it make them a terrorist i.e someone who uses terror to reach his political aim
Original post by the north
definitely not to be trusted but does it make them a terrorist i.e someone who uses terror to reach his political aim

they don't seem to care about people going to fight for the kurds so they probably won't prosecute you for it
Reply 6
interesting... It makes them dangerous and possibly unstable, but not necessarily a terrorist, an army doesn't always use terror against civilians to achieve its aim even in civil war. I'd say because you can't really decide what they are doing it is best to be on the safe side, however i'd be much less wary of someone joining a moderate rebel group than an extremist group.
Reply 7
Original post by DErasmus
interesting... It makes them dangerous and possibly unstable, but not necessarily a terrorist, an army doesn't always use terror against civilians to achieve its aim even in civil war. I'd say because you can't really decide what they are doing it is best to be on the safe side, however i'd be much less wary of someone joining a moderate rebel group than an extremist group.

not arguing with you but what makes them dangerous and unstable, surely if they were they would have joined extremist groups like isis?
Reply 8
not arguing with you but what makes them dangerous and unstable, surely if they were they would have joined extremist groups like isis?

What sane person wants to go fight in a civil war? It's most likely suicide, maybe even worse if you got captured and they want to make a point.
Reply 9
What sane person wants to go fight in a civil war? It's most likely suicide, maybe even worse if you got captured and they want to make a point.

many people who are originally Syrian would go? also many people from countries that have had the arab spring willing to help in another revoultion (personally know a few people who fought in both libya and then in syria and who were in tahrir square in cairo)
many people who are originally Syrian would go? also many people from countries that have had the arab spring willing to help in another revoultion (personally know a few people who fought in both libya and then in syria and who were in tahrir square in cairo)

It's still a very dangerous move to go from living a (comparatively) comfortable life to fighting with an army who you are uncertain can even provide for you in the first place, and at best can promise you nothing than potential death.
Reply 11
It's still a very dangerous move to go from living a (comparatively) comfortable life to fighting with an army who you are uncertain can even provide for you in the first place, and at best can promise you nothing than potential death.

true but still don't make them dangerous and unstable

I'd question the sanity of anyone who would give up their comfort for such an uncertain position, they might not be dangerous or unstable but they probably will be at the end of it (if they survive).

An armed man who is going fighting isn't dangerous. OK then.
Reply 14
Original post by And then...
An armed man who is going fighting isn't dangerous. OK then.

that's every solider in the world mate, the only question is who they pose the danger to and in this case they pose the danger to the Syrian regime which can be argued to be a good thing. the question is are they dangerous towards the UK?
that's every solider in the world mate, the only question is who they pose the danger to and in this case they pose the danger to the Syrian regime which can be argued to be a good thing. the question is are they dangerous towards the UK?

Luke Skywalker was a good guy and he was a rebel.
Reply 16
Same thing they want you to believe otherwise but America, Israel and Saudi's have been arming these extremist Muslim rebels who they call moderates for years.Israel want's Assad gone don't people get it? This is just another war for the Joos along with the war on terror that began with 9/11 that was committed by Mossad with inside help.
if someone goes to join Syrian rebels NOT ISIS ,fighting both ISIS and Syrian regime would he still be considered a terrorist?

Yes. The link between the Syrian rebels and Islamic extremists groups is too strong to be ignored.
Reply 18
Original post by thunder_chunky
Yes. The link between the Syrian rebels and Islamic extremists groups is too strong to be ignored.

syrain rebels include kurdish YPG and FSA who are fighting the extremists and even then being allied with them doesnt mean you are terrorist
(edited 9 years ago)

Terrorism has been defined in legislation and is broader than the old informal use of the word. Its definition makes acts illegal that have previously been legal. For instance, those people that went off to fight in the Spanish Civil War would have been guilty of terrorism now.

The definition is:

(1) In this Act "terrorism" means the use or threat of action where

(a) the action falls within subsection (2),

(b) the use or threat is designed to influence the government or an international governmental organisation or to intimidate the public or a section of the public, and

(c) the use or threat is made for the purpose of advancing a political, religious, racial or ideological cause.

(2) Action falls within this subsection if it

(a) involves serious violence against a person,

(b) involves serious damage to property,

(c) endangers a person's life, other than that of the person committing the action,

(d) creates a serious risk to the health or safety of the public or a section of the public, or

(e) is designed seriously to interfere with or seriously to disrupt an electronic system.

(3) The use or threat of action falling within subsection (2) which involves the use of firearms or explosives is terrorism whether or not subsection (1)(b) is satisfied.

It involves, essentially, any act of violence or war by a person who isn't in the official armed forces, no matter which side they are fighting for, and even if it takes place abroad.

Quick Reply

Latest