Petition: A petition for a referendum over the reinstatement of the Monarchy Watch

This discussion is closed.
Wellzi
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
A petition for a referendum over the reinstatement of the Monarchy

A petition for a referendum over the reinstatement of the Monarchy

This petition...

This petition is intended to instigate a debate over the reinstatement of the Monarchy, which I believe, as well as many others, was wrongly ousted by the previous government when there should have been a referendum.

Regards,
Wellzi

Jean-Luc Picard
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
the previous parliament passed the legislation just last term, no need to review it at all, especially given that the election saw the parties that supported their abolition do well, suggesting a further mandate on top of the one for the previous parliament.

also given the monarch is now abolished, essentially what you are asking for is to give a group of people a ton of money & privilege (including notional political power) based on nothing more than an antiquated system of hereditary bloodlines & unsubstantiated claims that they are ordained by a god that may not even exist.

so on pretty much every level, Nay.
Kittiara
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sure. I missed the debate last time around, and I think it's inevitable that we'll have one. If the Monarchy had been kept, republicans probably would have wanted one as well. I think it's good to settle this once and for all .
ukip72
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This, of course, gets a big Aye from me.

Sadly, while it's absolutely the right thing to do, it will probably not happen given the number of republicans who are quite happy to ignore democracy if it means getting their own way.
username456717
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Aye.
Wellzi
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jean-Luc Picard)
the previous parliament passed the legislation just last term, no need to review it at all, especially given that the election saw the parties that supported their abolition do well, suggesting a further mandate on top of the one for the previous parliament.

also given the monarch is now abolished, essentially what you are asking for is to give a group of people a ton of money & privilege (including notional political power) based on nothing more than an antiquated system of hereditary bloodlines & unsubstantiated claims that they are ordained by a god that may not even exist.

so on pretty much every level, Nay.
Not at all. Such a huge change should be approved by the people. You have no right to declare what people have adhered to for centuries to be wrong, especially when they support it! What the republicans did was wrong, totally unrealistic, and continuing to treat such an issue in this way is offensive to all those who have sworn an oath of allegiance to the crown, and all those who have died to protect it and this country for centuries!
Jean-Luc Picard
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Wellzi)
Not at all. Such a huge change should be approved by the people. You have no right to declare what people have adhered to for centuries to be wrong, especially when they support it! What the republicans did was wrong, totally unrealistic, and continuing to treat such an issue in this way is offensive to all those who have sworn an oath of allegiance to the crown, and all those who have died to protect it and this country for centuries!
meh, far bigger changes have been and are made without referenda all the time. I swear oaths to nobody and nothing thanks.
Wellzi
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jean-Luc Picard)
meh, far bigger changes have been and are made without referenda all the time. I swear oaths to nobody and nothing thanks.
There are few changes as big as discarding an institution that has existed for over a thousand years, especially when it is the head of state!

The monarch defines us as a nation. And perhaps you aren't a nationalist, but there are millions of us who are, many of whom would fight for such a cause.

Therefore, it shouldn't be dismissed and no second thought given.

Fallen comrades from the First World War would be turning in their graves if they were to here these treasonous thoughts being thrown around...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mazzini
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Fallen comrades from the First World War would be turning in their graves if they were to here these treasonous thoughts being thrown around...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Commie! Commie! Commie! :rolleyes:

Seriously though, it's time to move on as a House. I'm pro-monarchy, but this is just getting ridiculous now.
RayApparently
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Actually its not a 'huge change' because it doesn't effect the users of TSR in any way and because the users of TSR are not 'the People' of the Republic. Instead it gives the participants of the Model House another dimension to the game in the form of a Presidency.
Wellzi
Rep:
?
(Original post by RayApparently)
Actually its not a 'huge change' because it doesn't effect the users of TSR in any way and because the users of TSR are not 'the People' of the Republic. Instead it gives the participants of the Model House another dimension to the game in the form of a Presidency.
But seeing as though it's supposed to mirror the IRL House of Commons, and not a republic, then making such a change is unnecessary as well as absurd
That Bearded Man
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ukip72)
This, of course, gets a big Aye from me.

Sadly, while it's absolutely the right thing to do, it will probably not happen given the number of republicans who are quite happy to ignore democracy if it means getting their own way.
So you'd support a petition to overturn a bill that has just been passed because that's "democratic?"

Pot, black and kettle come to mind.
ukip72
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by That Bearded Man)
So you'd support a petition to overturn a bill that has just been passed because that's "democratic?"

Pot, black and kettle come to mind.
I'm supporting a petition that calls for a referendum that could overturn the bill.

You know, the referendum that you refused to hold on the basis you might lose?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jean-Luc Picard
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
There are few changes as big as discarding an institution that has existed for over a thousand years, especially when it is the head of state!

The monarch defines us as a nation. And perhaps you aren't a nationalist, but there are millions of us who are, many of whom would fight for such a cause.

Therefore, it shouldn't be dismissed and no second thought given.

Posted from TSR Mobile
yeah I don't respond to hysterical nonsense.
miser
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Absolutely no way. I can understand people wanting to sustain the monarchy in resistance to abandoning the status quo, but to establish it? That is truly backwards.
ukip72
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by miser)
Absolutely no way. I can understand people wanting to sustain the monarchy in resistance to abandoning the status quo, but to establish it? That is truly backwards.
Given that the monarchy was abolished with no referendum held it makes perfect sense to re-establish it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
miser
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ukip72)
Given that the monarchy was abolished with no referendum held it makes perfect sense to re-establish it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
All I can say is it's funny that the monarchy should only start caring whether the public wants them after they've been ousted. And maybe they aren't - all I see are politicians desperate to reinstate their romantic vision, despite it being removed by the public's own elected representatives.
Obiejess
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Personally, though I agreed with the abolition of the monarchy, think there should have been a referendum. It was a major decision and should have been open to the public. For that reason, aye.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Green_Pink
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Nay. This is boring and nobody is ever going to change their minds on it so a bit of a pointless debate, let's establish a President and discuss something new!
GoldenEmblem277
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Nay.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
6.04%
They might tell the bully (18)
9.89%
I don't think they'd understand (32)
17.58%
It might lead to more bullying (69)
37.91%
There's nothing they could do (52)
28.57%

Watched Threads