micah114
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hey,

I have a basic level of French, can hold a pretty basic convo with a French person and that's about it.

Can get the gist of a couple of news articles etc

Anyway, would like to greatly advance this level by teaching myself. Can anyone record best places to find resources for doing this? Or would the quickest way to learn really be by taking courses? I fear a group course may be bottlenecked by the speed of the slowest learner.

Quite a bit of spare time in the evenings lately so would like to put in a fair bit of work and see se quick progression.

Many thanks.
LewisE-Y
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
This is how I improved my French a lot. I also did courses which helped me with the vocab, but a lot of it I learnt on: http://french.about.com
micah114
Rep:
?
Thanks a lot. Will check it out.

Does anyone else know of any good resources where you can move at your own speed (can be fast or slow depending on free time) and offer quite structure courses? Thanks.
L'Evil Fish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by micah114)
Thanks a lot. Will check it out.

Does anyone else know of any good resources where you can move at your own speed (can be fast or slow depending on free time) and offer quite structure courses? Thanks.
Hmmmm...

Je dirais que Duolingo est assez bon, ou si tu veux payer pour un service, fluencia est génial.

Mais moi, je voulais pas payer. J'ai utilisé le 'trial' pour espagnol et j'ai trouvé que la manière par laquelle il enseigne est fantastique.

Ou, tu peux pratiquer avec quelqu'un ici sur TSR!
micah114
Rep:
?
Thanks for the response, I thought you were coming on to me before using google translate so I guess I still have a long way to go with learning!

Can't see a French part to the fluencia site but this Duolingo stuff looks very good!!
ihatePE
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
you should do some research into watching french movies with english subtitles, i know for once that i have learned so much korean by watching and actually love watching korean dramas/movies with subtitles, it improved my knowledge of the country's culture through their media and the grammar as well. Of course some traditional methods would also be helpful such as learning through books etc. but my biggest suggestion is movies.

Also have you ever been so bored in the toilet that you read shampoo bottles? the bottles and many product has french on it, reading those to pass time could help bank in vocals!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (113)
27.49%
England (143)
34.79%
Belgium (31)
7.54%
Germany (41)
9.98%
Spain (10)
2.43%