The Student Room Group

Disabled Student Allowance (DSA), what help do you receive?

Hi everyone,

I'm just in the process of applying to universities for next September. Recently noticed I am entitled to DSA as I have been HIV positive since last year, I know DSA is assessed on a case-by-case basis but I just wondered how much help any else has received with medical conditions that do not require help with mobility ect.

I must admit, I don't feel like a 'disabled' person - but if I can get any extra help with buying good food (something I am worried about) and anything else...I would be very happy.

What are your experiences?

Reply 1
I have Type 1 Diabetes and I'm also planning to apply for the DSA. Kinda in the same boat as you as I have no idea how much I will get, but hoping it will be enough to get good quality food which I need for the diabetes, as well as a gym membership.
Wouldn't stuff like food be covered more under DLA? As far as I know DSA covers things like equipment to help with lectures, possibly help with transport to uni, things to do with mobility. I've applied due to mental health issues and am getting a laptop with things to record lecture audio to help with lack of ability to concentrate etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
do you claim dla now or pip ithink:smile: money wise
Reply 4
Original post by sophiamarni
do you claim dla now or pip ithink:smile: money wise

Well no because I'm not at uni yet

-- sorry I didn't read your entire post

no I dont, people living with HIV don't actually receive any benefit, and tbh...I Don't feel like I would be deserving anyway, but when I'm a student and I'm self-suffient (parents are not giving me a penny)...I need all the help I can get
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Odd socks
Wouldn't stuff like food be covered more under DLA? As far as I know DSA covers things like equipment to help with lectures, possibly help with transport to uni, things to do with mobility. I've applied due to mental health issues and am getting a laptop with things to record lecture audio to help with lack of ability to concentrate etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow that seems really helpful! I have had problems with depression in the past, and I bet that can take a lot of the strain away from that 'brain-fog' that can arise.

I'm going to look further into that...
Original post by LukeAlexz
Wow that seems really helpful! I have had problems with depression in the past, and I bet that can take a lot of the strain away from that 'brain-fog' that can arise.

I'm going to look further into that...

You should definitely look into it, speak to the disability people at your uni and they should be able to sort it out for you :yep:

Yeah it definitely will help with when my brain just won't focus or when my anxiety is bad and I can't think about anything but what I'm worrying about

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
DSA doesn't give you more money, unless it's to refund cash spent on pre-approved expenses.

DSA is intended to provide extra help, equipment and facilities which counteract any practical problems you may have with studying or uni life, caused by medical conditions.

Part of your application is a formal face-to-face assessment. Anything awarded under DSA is based on the impact your condition(s) has on you. If you have a medical condition which doesn't cause a problem with studying or uni life, then you won't get DSA.
You won't get money towards food. DSA is for extra costs you have a disabled student - note taker, software, etc. Everyone needs to buy food.

You won't get help towards everyday costs and you won't get help towards things like prescriptions, medical appointments, etc.
I am hard of hearing and I am getting a laptop with Microsoft office and a speech to text software, Dictaphone and a contego.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending