The Student Room Group

Changing uni and course after 2nd year? Is it possible?

Hi.
Not sure whether this is the right section and I'll try to explain everything without a huge essay!

From school I trained and worked full time as a dental nurse. When I turned 20 I decided to take my education further. I enrolled on an access to science course and applied to 5 unis for a dental hygiene and therapy course.
I was accepted at 2 and chose portsmouth as it was the best uni/some personal reasons.

In the July before I was to start my course I decided to change course (big change!) to petroleum engineering. As all I want to do is travel, I enjoy maths and science (especially chemistry) and it all looked very appealing. And I didn't want to spend 40 years digging around in peoples mouths!

I started the course excited and happy I'd changed. However I then began to struggle with the maths. The course I completed at college had only very basic level of maths involved so I'd done no advanced maths since gcse level. I tried hard (perhaps not has hard as I should, I had the it's only 1st year mentality").
I got 1st and 2:1 grades in all coursework. About the same in most exams. But failed 3. Under portsmouth uni rules if you fail more than 2 exams you have to retake just those modules the following year. So I'm now retaking just 3 modules. I was prepared and happy to do this.

However. After getting back into my course I'm starting to doubt it's for me.
I'm again struggling with the maths and after seeing what my friends in 2nd year are now doing I'm worried I won't manage the step up next year.
And I'm starting to think that even though I enjoy it, it couldn't be further from who I am.
I'm very much an outdoor, nature loving hippy. I'm conscious about the environment and support small business.
If I complete this degree I will end up working in an office for a company like BP. I've done a placement day there and I did enjoy it but I'm unsure if that was just because it was so different and exciting to anything else I've ever seen.

I've been speaking to a few people that study courses along the lines of earth ocean and environmental science. It sounds like the perfect course for me.
As I say I care about the environment. I also surf/windsurf and scuba dive so I'm interested in the ocean. These courses also have a strong geology theme running through them and that's the units I've done the best in and enjoyed the most on my current course (averaging 89% last year).

The other factor making me want to change is I'd like to move to Brighton uni.
I have a great life in portsmouth, good friends/social life etc. however there's nothing here and although I have fantastic friends I feel like I would fit in so much more in the Brighton scene and enjoy my time at uni even more, I almost feel like I'm settling for less than I deserve in portsmouth.

If I changed to Brighton I'd have to restart in 1st year go back into halls etc id also be 26 when I finish uni, which I'm ok about. Then there's the student finance issue.

I just want some general advice, does this seem a silly idea or should I go for it?

Quick Reply

Latest