The Student Room Group

Interviews - Current Educational Issues

Hey everyone,

Seems like most interviews require us to talk about current educational issues, so I thought it would be a good idea for us to help each other out and share and discuss our ideas!

I've been looking on TES and the Guardian so far but it all seems a bit complicated!

Anyone have any good places where you can get clear, simple and up to date information?
What are you finding complicated about TES? I would generally say thats one of the core places to go for info, followed by the guardian. What arent you getting?
Reply 2
Original post by Ratchit99
What are you finding complicated about TES? I would generally say thats one of the core places to go for info, followed by the guardian. What arent you getting?

I'm not finding TES complicated. I was thinking more about things like curriculum changes with primary, government changes, free schools, increasing levels of EAL children etc. It's not exactly straightforward when it seems that changes are happening all the time.
True, it is all a tad chaotic.
My recommendation would just keep appraised of news articles that pop up in both, as well as opinion articles, as generally youll pick up on whats happening as well as the mixture of opinions just by reading those. No one expects you to be an expert on it all when you start, as long as youve shown the effort. As for NC if you go on the dept. of education website there's some documents in there explaining your subjects new set up.
Reply 4
If you are currently volunteering or working in a school the best thing to do is speak to teachers, then you can consider how the issues are actually affecting teachers, pupils and schools.

The removal of National Curriculum levels is something of an issue. Schools are having to get used to new levelling criteria and then also having to explain this to parents.

Read and try your best to understand the implications of the new SEND Code of practice; removal of school action and school action plus titles etc.

The changes in the National Curriculum are an ongoing issue; how well were schools prepared? How are schools currently implementing it?

As long as you can show an awareness of the current issues and offer understanding of how it may affect teachers, pupils and you (as a perspective teacher), then you will be fine.

Check these websites out regularly: BBC education news
Guardian education news
Tes
(edited 9 years ago)
I've been keeping a running log of education news since July, mainly BBC stuff. Another good one is the Telegraph education news. Here are some headlines you can look up:

Racial discrimination
Teachers feeling under-valued
More free school meals
New primary curriculum- focus on computer skills and numeracy fractions
Overcrowding in primary schools
Argument for/against setting and streaming
Larger classes for more budget efficiency
More funding for PE
Not enough teachers with foreign language skills
Unannounced OFSTED inspections
Trojan Horse implications
Schools focussing too much on 3 R's
Nicky Morgan vs Michael Gove
More free schools
Teacher workload issues
Well i have an interview and doing a lot of research on current issues. What I have understood is government funding , Brexit, number of students are increasing are very good points.
Original post by kizzz!
I'm not finding TES complicated. I was thinking more about things like curriculum changes with primary, government changes, free schools, increasing levels of EAL children etc. It's not exactly straightforward when it seems that changes are happening all the time.

I'd suggest picking one recent issue and researching that issue in a bit more depth. Perhaps the most recent round of curriculum changes and discussions about how much we test too much in primary might be an idea of a place to start? You could contrast Labour policy of scrapping SATs with conservatives introducing more baseline testing, and then share your own opinion?

In general, I think it's a good idea to steer clear of discussing school funding or anything that sounds really negative, and showing that you can appreciate/understand both sides of the argument.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending