The Student Room Group

What would be your 3 main reasons why you want to go to University?

I am just curious what makes other people wan to go? For me it is.

1, Getting away from Northern Ireland/Homophobic parents and country, for me Northern Ireland is the most backward place in the UK when it comes to this. Also Northern Ireland is dreary as **** when you include the bad weather and all the hatred being spewed out by both sides in our Politics.

2, My Trivial reason is I want better internet :colondollar: I can't stand living with 1.5mb/s in a house where it is used by multiple people, have any of you ever been forced to watch Youtube videos in 144p? IT BURNS.

3, Get a degree that will mean I won't have to work after I am 55 / work for anyone else. I want to be able to devote a lot of time to things that I enjoy but don't intend on studying such as Geology and Classical Civilization. So I either want to have done well enough to retire early or be able to start my own business and have the skills to succeed in doing so.
Yes I do know I am still 17 and things are likely to change in my life but this is currently what drives me to actually study.

Scroll to see replies

1. So I can be a teacher.
2. So I can run away from home at last.
1. **** bitches
2. Get money
I'm already at university but these were my three main reasons

-To be able to go into a career I am interested in and would be satisfied in (biomedicine)
-To be able to move out and be independent
-To make new friends who I'll hopefully have for years to come

Of my reasons the first one will be a test of time, of whether I even pass the course and whether I enjoy it and whether or not I actually manage to get my foot in the door in the industry. For the second reason, I absolutely love having my own place, I'm actually dreading finishing university and having to go back home, I love being independent, living with my friends, cooking what I want when I want and having my own space it's great. As for the last reason, it turns out to me personally this has been the most important thing, I've never really had very good or close friends in the past and since being at university the friends I have made have been amazing to the point I consider some of them to be like family and I can't imagine my life without them, it saddens me some of them are from so far away and so will likely rarely see them when university ends a few of them are from near-ish to me though and I'm hoping we stay close for a very long time.
1. Get a degree
2. Get a sick job as a lecturer and researcher
3. Have them all mirin'
1. Degree
2. Get Money
3. Fux Bishes
Original post by h3isenberg
1. **** bitches
2. Get money

This is class

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
1. Degree - Be fully qualified
2. Make connections with people going down the same path as me
3. Make new friends, become independent
1. Improve my job prospects.
2. Study something I love.
3. It's a good life experience!

Posted from TSR Mobile
1. Study something I love
2. Become the best at my subject(try to anyway)
3. Give me something to do for the next couple of years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Job Prospects
Job Prospects
Job Prospects
- the course
- the social life
- the independence
- Women
- Women
- Women

Spoiler

Reply 13
1. To study the subject I'm interested in
2. To become a school teacher
3. To meet loads of different people from different backgrounds
For me it was...

1) Didn't want to work in pensions anymore
2) Didn't want to work in pensions anymore
3) Didn't want to work in pensions anymore

Also, I wanted to broaden my horizons, and meet new people etc. etc.
:h:
1) Getting out of Northern Ireland/away from my father. I totally agree with everything that you said about N.I.
2) To be independent and build a future for myself through education, by getting my degree and working in my chosen field (forensics).
3) Meeting new people and hopefully having the experience of a life time.:3
Already at University, but very interesting thread.

The main reason I went was interest in the subject. I was in a job post-18 and was doing reasonably well, but it wasn't stimulating and I got to love my subject, so I left for uni. Everything else was secondary.

Another two reasons which were a bonus were improved prospects (I'd got sick of seeing jobs I felt I could do advertised with "degree required") and the social experience it provided, as I'd always lived at home up to that point.
Original post by h3isenberg
1. **** bitches
2. Get money

Beat me too it.

3. Smoke weed

In all seriousness,
1. Independence
2. Go somewhere new instead of being stuck where I currently live forever
3. Get a good degree and win life (I hope.)
1.) Being independent. I love my family but argue a lot with my father, and I get treated more like I'm 14 than 17. Also, trivially, I'm a bit of a neat freak and my family doesn't have time to be - there's a packet of croissants in the cupboard that have taken on the guise of a biology experiment - so having more control over that will be nice...

2.) Getting to study the subject I've loved since Reception at one of the best universities in the country, if not the world! :biggrin: (provided I make the grades...) I've always been a book nerd, and I actually like studying. I love learning new things.

3.) Meeting new people.
Reply 19
Money, education and validation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending