billaras
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hallo ,
I am on my last year at high school and considering applying to Royal Holloway . What really captivates me is the campus itself and the idea of living in nature so close to london ,.... But i still know that it isn't always so easy as it may seem :rolleyes: .. I would love to know how is it like living in royal holloway and in egham ! It is obvious that there are not a lot of things to do in the area :/ So, what do u suggest guys ? How to spend your time there ? Do you enjoy it ?
Tufto
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well, Egham itself is a dump. Its just horrible, there's no way around that. But it's perfectly tolerable to live in as outside of Egham there is plenty of stuff.

London is only 40 minutes away by train. Which is horribly inconvenient, but it's also much closer than most other places, and naturally there is a tonne of stuff to do in London.

Plus, the area around Egham is great. Windsor and Runnymede are very close, and are very nice and charming places.

In terms of things to do, well, it depends on what kinda thing you enjoy doing generally. In terms of nightlife etc it's fairly slim- a few nice pubs such as the Beehive or the Red Lion around but as far as I know no clubs nearby, aside from Liquid (in Windsor) and the SU, nor are there any bars I can think of off the top of my head. Since I care not one jot about such things, this means it's fine for me but I can see why it would matter to some.

The countryside is great, though. Runnymede is exceptionally beautiful, and there is the Air Force Memorial near Kingswood. Again, Windsor is wonderful; it's small, rustic-y, has a wopping great castle, and is generally very pleasant to go to for a day.

Living on campus (as I imagine you'll be doing in your first year) is fine. I was in Kingswood in first year, which was a nice little place but somewhat removed- but as long as you apply for accommodation fairly promptly, you should get one of the much nicer ones on campus. The rooms themselves are your average Uni accommodation, so are perfectly sound- unless you live in Founders, which I believe is loud but you get to live in a fricking castle .

If you live in Egham and Englefield themselves, it's as pleasant as you want to make it. Again, there's not too much to do in the area itself, but I tend to find how happy you are with a place depends on the people you live with more than anything. And again, there's plenty to do a little further out.

Basically, Egham itself is horrible and dull, but there's plenty to do in Windsor and London if you don't mind the travel. And the countryside is very nice, and the campus is lovely.
llacerta
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by billaras)
Hallo ,
I am on my last year at high school and considering applying to Royal Holloway . What really captivates me is the campus itself and the idea of living in nature so close to london ,.... But i still know that it isn't always so easy as it may seem :rolleyes: .. I would love to know how is it like living in royal holloway and in egham ! It is obvious that there are not a lot of things to do in the area :/ So, what do u suggest guys ? How to spend your time there ? Do you enjoy it ?
If you're willing to get involved in campus life- clubs, societies, the SU, etc etc- then you'll have more than enough to do whilst at Holloway. The people I knew who said that they were bored living in Egham were those who didn't care for the campus bubble and wanted to go clubbing or to more city-based activities more often. So whilst Egham itself hasn't got much to offer, Royal Holloway does (if you're the right kind of person).
Mrdesi
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by llacerta)
The people I knew who said that they were bored living in Egham were those who didn't care for the campus bubble and wanted to go clubbing or to more city-based activities more often. So whilst Egham itself hasn't got much to offer, Royal Holloway does (if you're the right kind of person).
I know that this is a five year old nearly six year old thread. However, I commented on here because I agree so much with the following statement. Also, I can't wait to start at Royal Holloway in 2020!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (49)
14.45%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (46)
13.57%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (125)
36.87%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (33)
9.73%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (68)
20.06%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
5.31%

Watched Threads