The Student Room Group

Personal Statement - Which words to capitalise?

Would these be correct?
The sentences are just examples, none of which are actually in my personal statement.

I am currently studying A-level Maths and Chemistry...

I believe maths has allowed me to develop skills in...

I believe electrical engineers tackle a wide range of...

Therefore, i would like to complete a degree in Electrical Engineering...

Valued member of the sixth form and a member of the student council

Also would this sentence be correct with the quotation marks and all?

I am currently reading 'The Autobiography of Malcolm X: As Told to Alex Haley' because...

Thanks!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Anyone? English isn't my strongest subject :biggrin:
Reply 2
The only issue I can see is whether maths and chemistry is capitalised in the first sentence. I was told not to capitalise them by my form tutor, but I think it's correct either way.
A qualification such as A Level Maths or BSc Electrical Engineering needs capital letters. A name of a book needs capital letters. None of the others do including degree in electrical engineering.
Original post by alleycat393
A qualification such as A Level Maths or BSc Electrical Engineering needs capital letters. A name of a book needs capital letters. None of the others do including degree in electrical engineering.

This

(also you should be talking about mathematics not maths:smile:

(and it is generally a waste of characters to talk specifically about your A level studies - better to focus on particular topics you enjoyed or pieces of work that you learnt something from).
Original post by Kill3er
Would these be correct?
The sentences are just examples, none of which are actually in my personal statement.

I am currently studying A-level Maths and Chemistry...

I believe maths has allowed me to develop skills in...

I am currently reading 'The Autobiography of Malcolm X: As Told to Alex Haley' because...

I got rid of the others in the quote as I don't know 100% but these three are correct :biggrin: You capitalise subjects when you talk about the level i.e Alevel, GCSE, Undergraduate. But otherwise just lowercase :P My form tutor tried to change it and I was like nope it's not a capital haha
Reply 6
Thanks guys :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending