The Student Room Group

A2 English Literature Coursework - Edexcel

Hi guys,

I am currently planning my coursework for A2 English Literature, the coursework is based on the novels of 1984 and Never Let Me Go. The question is 'A dystopian society's main success is to sustain itself by removing identity through control of the individual'. How far do you agree with this comment in light of 1984 and Never Let Me Go? I would genuinely appreciate any tips and advice you guys can give me for this question or even the novels themselves.

Thanks
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Original post by B16LBW
Hi guys,

I am currently planning my coursework for A2 English Literature, the coursework is based on the novels of 1984 and Never Let Me Go. The question is 'A dystopian society's main success is to sustain itself by removing identity through control of the individual'. How far do you agree with this comment in light of 1984 and Never Let Me Go? I would genuinely appreciate any tips and advice you guys can give me for this question or even the novels themselves.

Thanks

I just completed my Higher 3 Lit coursework. One of the texts I examined was also 1984. It seems that many are interested in using it for critical analysis and comparison. I've uploaded some of my research and argumentative points on my blog so that it's more accessible to everyone. Feel free to visit it theawarrior.wordpress.com!
Read the novels first obviously hahaha

In your introduction I suggest defining a dystopian society, identity and what control of the individual is. Talk about context as well to sort of the set the scene and say whether you agree and disagree with the statement.

Go through the novels and highlight (literally) any quotes you think are important and pick out analysis like metaphors, similes, grammar etc and say why the writer has used them and what they convey.

Also give evidence of parts that show the taking away of identity and control and contrast this with evidence that doesn't show this. Like in 1984 for example, everyone is sort of same you know, with the uniform and mundane lifestyle there is no chance to express yourself creatively like you can nowadays and you have the 'Thought Crimes' too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending