Qari
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I have to do my 1st essay and have to include refrences.

Some of the stuff is stuff I did in A-level.

In A-level we were given Kerboodle which is an online version of Nelson Thorne book, I downloaded the resources but how would I go about refrencing that?

Since I don't have the link anymore?
Juno
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You need to say which kind of referencing you're using
errrr...
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Qari)

In A-level we were given Kerboodle which is an online version of Nelson Thorne book, I downloaded the resources but how would I go about refrencing that?

Reference it as if it were a normal website
getfunky!
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Qari)

If you have a smartphone I strongly suggest downloading an app called 'RefMe', you can scan the barcode/ISBN number of the book, and it will compile the reference(s), from its database of books, which can be sent to your email/cloud storage.

More importantly the app has a vast number of referencing styles, and it can easily switch between them by selecting the one you require from a list.

It's available on both Android and iOS:

Android:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...refme&hl=en_GB

iOS:
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/refme/id553222694?mt=8

If the online resource is an e-textbook, then you reference the book as you would a physical textbook, however if the e-resource has differences from the textbook on which it was based, then you reference the online resource.
askew116
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by getfunky!)
If you have a smartphone I strongly suggest downloading an app called 'RefMe', you can scan the barcode/ISBN number of the book, and it will compile the reference(s), from its database of books, which can be sent to your email/cloud storage.

More importantly the app has a vast number of referencing styles, and it can easily switch between them by selecting the one you require from a list.

It's available on both Android and iOS:

Android:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...refme&hl=en_GB

iOS:
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/refme/id553222694?mt=8

If the online resource is an e-textbook, then you reference the book as you would a physical textbook, however if the e-resource has differences from the textbook on which it was based, then you reference the online resource.
I've just started working on my dissertation, and this app will save me countless hours! MASSIVE thanks
Mad Vlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Word's built in, little known referencing feature is excellent. But yes, OP, what referencing style?
getfunky!
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by askew116)
I've just started working on my dissertation, and this app will save me countless hours! MASSIVE thanks
You're welcome!:hat:
Klix88
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Beware that unis can use one of a range of referencing styles and they can all have subtly different formatting. If you use an automated referencing tool, make sure that either it conforms to your uni's referencing style, or that the output can be easily manually edited to meet it. You could find yourself making work rather than saving it.

For example, my undergrad uni used Harvard referencing - but they had an in-house version which tweaked it. Finding software that produced Harvard style referencing was only half of the solution. I'm currently having to use a format which inserts full stops where I was initially taught they should never be. Drives me nuts.

With referencing, attention to detail and following uni instruction, are key.
Qari
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mad Vlad)
Word's built in, little known referencing feature is excellent. But yes, OP, what referencing style?

(Original post by Juno)
You need to say which kind of referencing you're using
Harvard Style refrencing.

My point is the resource I got required a login which was deleted when year ended so how do I upload that?
x-Venezia-x
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You need to consult your universities handbook on how they would like you to reference as each university have different ways on how they want you to reference your work.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Qari
Rep:
?
(Original post by x-Venezia-x)
You need to consult your universities handbook on how they would like you to reference as each university have different ways on how they want you to reference your work.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My question was meant to be when do I refrence. As in for quotations yes but if I've put something in my own words do i still refrence
Klix88
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Qari)
My question was meant to be when do I refrence. As in for quotations yes but if I've put something in my own words do i still refrence
Yes, you absolutely should. Failing to reference would imply that you'd thought of it - that would be plagiarism.
Qari
Rep:
?
(Original post by Klix88)
Yes, you absolutely should. Failing to reference would imply that you'd thought of it - that would be plagiarism.
so how would I reference that if I've put it into my own words?
Klix88
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Qari)
so how would I reference that if I've put it into my own words?
Exactly the same as you would a direct quote. In the text, you'd put the short reference at the end of the sentence or passage (Author year). Then a corresponding full entry in the bibliography at the end of the assignment.
Qari
Rep:
?
Exactly the same as you would a direct quote. In the text, you'd put the short reference at the end of the sentence or passage (Author year). Then a corresponding full entry in the bibliography at the end of the assignment.
how would I reference something from here
Attached files
Klix88
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Qari)
Sorry, I can't access the document you've linked to. What is it?
tgwktm
  • Study Helper
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Qari)

If your uni has a study support service like mine then contact them by email or in person however they operate and they can help you i'm sure. I had a similar problem with my course reference guide being a bit confusing and unclear in places and they helped me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Klix88
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Qari)
OK - I can access it now.

Those look like A Level revision or published course notes. There's no way you should be using those as a source for written work at uni. Referencing them would just draw attention to the fact that you haven't done your own reading/research.
S1elyak1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Use a website called Neil's Toolbox if you're Harvard referencing
Qari
Rep:
?
OK - I can access it now.

Those look like A Level revision or published course notes. There's no way you should be using those as a source for written work at uni. Referencing them would just draw attention to the fact that you haven't done your own reading/research.
They're A-level resources. I wanted to use them for the intro not the main part

(Original post by kayleighisonfire)
Use a website called Neil's Toolbox if you're Harvard referencing
thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (706)
33.93%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (889)
42.72%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (393)
18.89%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.47%

Watched Threads