Suarez didn't make the ballon d'or shortlist. Watch

trrr
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Ridiculous really, it is stuff like this that has made me not really take this award seriously.
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
crazy..

Thought the award was for the best footballer, Not the best person..
jam277
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah that's peak.

So no Daniel Sturridge again?

Pogba, how the **** did this guy get on the shortlist? Also how the hell is Gotze on the shortlist? Because he scored one goal against Argentina? Worst shortlist I've seen.
lankyryan
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The most baffling one is the inclusion of Jose Mourinho for 'Best Coach', who has won **** all since 2012. Either way, the winner will surely be Neuer, Ronaldo or Schweinsteiger for best player and Löw for best coach
samba
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jam277)
Yeah that's peak.

So no Daniel Sturridge again?

Pogba, how the **** did this guy get on the shortlist?
Thibaut Courtois, Diego Costa, Eden Hazard

Angel di Maria, Yaya Toure
jam277
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by samba)
Thibaut Courtois, Diego Costa, Eden Hazard

Angel di Maria, Yaya Toure
Yeah, tbf they have put in a good amount of premier league players. Tbf the players are generally being judged for WC performances which I don't agree with, at least one of Rooney and Sturridge should be there. Gotze shouldn't be there for one goal against Argentina. Sanchez arguably should be in the shortlist too. Pogba should be there.

I dunno who manager of the season should be. Low will probably get it, but I think either Ancelotti or Simeone should get it.
jam277
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by lankyryan)
The most baffling one is the inclusion of Jose Mourinho for 'Best Coach', who has won **** all since 2012. Either way, the winner will surely be Neuer, Ronaldo or Schweinsteiger for best player and Löw for best coach
Jose is there because he's been consistently in the Semi Finals of the CL with a team that didn't make it out of the groups. He's not going to win it though. Who would you put over him? Don't see why Van Gaal gets in the team when he's doing terrible at United and beat a Spain team in decline? You could say the same for Jurgen Klopp being in the list in 2013.
Kenan and Kel
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Neuer or Robben FTW

Simeone should win Coach, his achievements this year are far greater than Ancelotti's when you take everything into consideration.

Also, Iniesta over Modric is a joke
jam277
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It would have been Simeone if the trophies were the other way round, with Simeone winning a cup CL double.

But yes I'd probably give it to him.
h3isenberg
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Including Benzema but not Suarez is ridiculous. Some of the nominees are just fillers to get 23 though (Gotze, Pogba, Iniesta). Klinsmann is an unusual one too.

Jose is there because he's been consistently in the Semi Finals of the CL with a team that didn't make it out of the groups. He's not going to win it though. Who would you put over him? Don't see why Van Gaal gets in the team when he's doing terrible at United and beat a Spain team in decline? You could say the same for Jurgen Klopp being in the list in 2013.
So you say that Spain are in decline but Rooney is not in decline? Gr8 logic m8. You can't accept that he just out-tactic-ed them. Same applies with Real Madrid beating Bayern 4-0 por ejemplo. You say that Mourinho gets in the shortlist because he got Chelsea to the SFs when they didn't get out of the group the previous year. However LvG got Holland to 3rd in the World Cup, whereas they finished bottom of the group with nil points at Euro 2012. Again Gr8 logic m8.
jam277
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by h3isenberg)
Including Benzema but not Suarez is ridiculous. Some of the nominees are just fillers to get 23 though (Gotze, Pogba, Iniesta). Klinsmann is an unusual one too.

So you say that Spain are in decline but Rooney is not in decline? Gr8 logic m8. You can't accept that he just out-tactic-ed them. Same applies with Real Madrid beating Bayern 4-0 por ejemplo. You say that Mourinho gets in the shortlist because he got Chelsea to the SFs when they didn't get out of the group the previous year. However LvG got Holland to 3rd in the World Cup, whereas they finished bottom of the group with nil points at Euro 2012. Again Gr8 logic m8.
Holland also got to the world cup final last time?

Also I said that saying Mourinho shouldn't be there is the same as saying LvG shouldn't be there. Which you are agreeing with me essentially.

Rooney while in decline was still your best player last season, got a good goals tally and assist tally. Plus anyway I'd put Sturridge in over Rooney. Also don't get the Rooney and Spain comparisons? LvG outacticed them so why ain't the chilean manager there as well? Also since Balon D'or is over the whole year how has LvG done at United since, because he should be judged over his performances this whole year. If people are being judged over how they did last season and others are being judged over their performances this calendar year there is no consistency regardless.
shawn_o1
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
There's only one reason why Suarez ain't on the shortlist: his teeth...
al_94
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't take the ballon dor seriously but Wenger should be on the list
h3isenberg
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Holland also got to the world cup final last time?

Also I said that saying Mourinho shouldn't be there is the same as saying LvG shouldn't be there. Which you are agreeing with me essentially.

Rooney while in decline was still your best player last season, got a good goals tally and assist tally. Plus anyway I'd put Sturridge in over Rooney. Also don't get the Rooney and Spain comparisons? LvG outacticed them so why ain't the chilean manager there as well? Also since Balon D'or is over the whole year how has LvG done at United since, because he should be judged over his performances this whole year. If people are being judged over how they did last season and others are being judged over their performances this calendar year there is no consistency regardless.
4 years earlier yes, but with the same coach they lost every game at the Euros. In terms of expectation, not many people expected Holland to get to 3rd place this year with their best players (Sneijder, RvP, Robben) all over 30.

You originally explained why Mourinho was there, but LvG deserves to be there for similar reasons is what I'm saying.

By being in decline I'm not saying he's rubbish but he was the best player in a poor team last season. The comparisons being that you say he isn't in decline whatsoever in the United thread, yet say here that Spain are. Just wanted a bit more of an explanation as to why that is.

The Chile manager could be there, so could the Costa Rican and Colombian coaches. Not being judged over the whole year could be said about a lot of the nominees. The shortlist being realised by the end of October means the judgement will pretty much be on last season anyway. It could also be said that club coaches will naturally get more scrutiny than national team coaches.
lankyryan
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Klopp did manage to get a team who had not been past the first round of a European Competition since 2003-04 to the final of the Champions League

Pogba has been superb at Juventus, Götze is joint top scorer in the Bundesliga this season, it is not solely off the goal he scored in the World Cup Final. I totally agree on Suarez, he should definitely be there.
jam277
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
4 years earlier yes, but with the same coach they lost every game at the Euros. In terms of expectation, not many people expected Holland to get to 3rd place this year with their best players (Sneijder, RvP, Robben) all over 30.

You originally explained why Mourinho was there, but LvG deserves to be there for similar reasons is what I'm saying.
Fair enough, I was just saying that scrutinising Mourinho means you should scrutinise Van Gaal. They're both just filling up the numbers and they can't put in a random overachiever like Pulis e.g. It's going to Low, Ancelotti or Simeone anyway.

By being in decline I'm not saying he's rubbish but he was the best player in a poor team last season. The comparisons being that you say he isn't in decline whatsoever in the United thread, yet say here that Spain are. Just wanted a bit more of an explanation as to why that is.

The Chile manager could be there, so could the Costa Rican and Colombian coaches. Not being judged over the whole year could be said about a lot of the nominees. The shortlist being realised by the end of October means the judgement will pretty much be on last season anyway. It could also be said that club coaches will naturally get more scrutiny than national team coaches.
I said Rooney was in decline, but that's from 2010 imo. 2012 he did well but he wasn't the same player, he wasn't as fast as he was in 2010. Injuries have made him slower and that's affected him. However I think he's still at the same level he was last season so far this season.

That's true wrt club coaches. I can't think of anybody who would go in above Mourinho or LvG anyway at this point. Klopp e.g. has done worse than both of them. Benitez won a cup but did poor in europe. Laurent Blanc arguably.
jam277
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by lankyryan)
Pogba has been superb at Juventus, Götze is joint top scorer in the Bundesliga this season, it is not solely off the goal he scored in the World Cup Final. I totally agree on Suarez, he should definitely be there.
Pogba has been good at Juve but there are people who arguably should be there above him. Matuidi being a good example.

Gotze may be having a good season but was a bit part player last season, he's there because he scored the winner in the world cup final imo. That again goes to the point that there is a lack of consistency and people do not judge over the whole year. If they really wanted to do the balon d'or awards, they should allow the voting to only happen at the end of the year. Because what just happens is one guy on the shortlist starts to play very well around october/november time and everyone votes for them.

(Original post by al_94)
I don't take the ballon dor seriously but Wenger should be on the list
If Wenger should be on the list then so should Benitez(neither should be in). Brendan Rodgers I have no idea why he is not on the list.
The Shed End
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Absurd that so many people are getting upset that Suarez isn't on the shortlist. What kind of precedence does it set when a man who's been banned for biting three times including twice in a year is given an award, regardless of how well he's played.

Besides, he went off the boil for about a month-6 weeks around February/March whereas Ronaldo was consistent all year as per.

Simeone should win the Manager award, but it'll be Carlo.
Arkasia
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The only ones I disagree should be there are Iniesta and Benzema.

Ronaldo, Messi, Ibra, Robben and Neymar will be there every year until they retire, Courtois and Neuer are obvious (a bit surprised Lloris was left out). Cannot see how someone can argue Goetze and Pogba don't deserve to be there, after an amazing world cup, and amazing seasons at their respective clubs.

I think Bale should be given a fair shout, he has flourished at Madrid.
sr90
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by trrr)
Ridiculous really, it is stuff like this that has made me not really take this award seriously.
Completely agree with this, Suarez not being on there is a complete joke and that is coming from a United fan.

Bar Messi & Ronaldo, there wasn't a better player in world football last season. Ridiculous when you see some of the other nominees on there. Hamez & Gotze who are only on there because of what they did in the World Cup, having Ramos instead of Godin is a strange one as well but then I suppose Godin doesn't play for Real Madrid. Plus where is Modric? Where is Reus?

Ronaldo is obviously going to win it though so i'm not sure why they bother with 23 nominees.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (50)
23.58%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (69)
32.55%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (43)
20.28%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (18)
8.49%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (32)
15.09%

Watched Threads

Latest