The Student Room Group

Help?

Hi

im in year ten and have a igcse maths exam at the end of the year and am also doing french a year early also.
I will have mocks, but I'm planning on not doing anything this half term but revising in the Christmas holidays. My aim i a star in both.
is this an okay mindset and enough?

thanks.
Don't revise for mocks :tongue:
Reply 2
Original post by Coolme12345
Hi

im in year ten and have a igcse maths exam at the end of the year and am also doing french a year early also.
I will have mocks, but I'm planning on not doing anything this half term but revising in the Christmas holidays. My aim i a star in both.
is this an okay mindset and enough?

thanks.

With igcse, this may be an acceptable mentality but you need to concentrate on putting your time and effort into revising at any given time. If you don't revise/exercise your knowledge, it won't be clearer on the day of the exams and therefore will decrease your chance of getting a sufficient mark.

That mindset is... alright, but I wouldn't suggest keeping it: life-long learning is key to success, no? (remember to enjoy yourself once in a while, though :P)
I will revise, but not now but in the Christmas holidays. Will that be more than enough time?
is it ok for me to just relax this half term?

Thanks.
I would suggest that you start revising NOW.

Mathematics is a very difficult subject that requires a lot of study... especially if you want to attain an A*. Every bit of free time should be used up constructively.

As for French, that is a totally different language that you will be tested on. You can not honestly tell me that you are confident that you will get an A* in that subject as it is completely foreign to you.

Why gamble your chances of getting high grades by wasting your time? You are probably 14/15, you should not be doing anything other than revising... honestly.

And with regards to this person...

Original post by Wahrheit
Don't revise for mocks :tongue:

I honestly think you should not be contributing to these forums with an attitude like that. All you are doing is spreading negativity.

Every assessment should be taken seriously, whether it is a mock or a real exam.
Original post by President Putin

Mathematics is a very difficult subject that requires a lot of study... especially if you want to attain an A*. Every bit of free time should be used up constructively.

As for French, that is a totally different language that you will be tested on. You can not honestly tell me that you are confident that you will get an A* in that subject as it is completely foreign to you.

Why gamble your chances of getting high grades by wasting your time? You are probably 14/15, you should not be doing anything other than revising... honestly.

I honestly think you should not be contributing to these forums with an attitude like that. All you are doing is spreading negativity.

Every assessment should be taken seriously, whether it is a mock or a real exam.

Thanks.
Original post by President Putin

You are completely overestimating how difficult GCSEs are. School is the best time of your life and, trust me, you'll regret wasting your time revising for mock exams. It's pointless to revise when you haven't even finished the course. Remember, it's called REvising for a reason.. And mocks are there to test gaps in your knowledge and show you which areas you need to revise when it comes down to the REAL exams...

How is it negative to tell somebody to enjoy their life instead of to spend time stressing about exams which don't even count?
Original post by Wahrheit
You are completely overestimating how difficult GCSEs are. School is the best time of your life and, trust me, you'll regret wasting your time revising for mock exams. It's pointless to revise when you haven't even finished the course. Remember, it's called REvising for a reason.. And mocks are there to test gaps in your knowledge and show you which areas you need to revise when it comes down to the REAL exams...

How is it negative to tell somebody to enjoy their life instead of to spend time stressing about exams which don't even count?

Sorry, you are completely right. I have changed my opinion and I also believe that the OP should not take mock examinations seriously and instead have fun.
Thanks guys.

Quick Reply

Latest