Is it worth spending 'all that money' learning to drive (at 21)?

Watch
Joyful_soul
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I am questioning whether I should learn to drive as most jobs these days require it...
Viva Emptiness
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Of course it's worth it. If someone took my car away from me it would be like losing a leg, or a loved one.
RF_PineMarten
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yes. Gives you a lot of independence and as you said, a lot of jobs require it. Some students at my university who never learnt to drive and wanted to wait now have to learn because a lot of the placements for 3rd year require a full driving license.
Joyful_soul
Rep:
?
(Original post by Viva Emptiness)
Of course it's worth it. If someone took my car away from me it would be like losing a leg, or a loved one.
(Original post by RFowler)
Yes. Gives you a lot of independence and as you said, a lot of jobs require it. Some students at my university who never learnt to drive and wanted to wait now have to learn because a lot of the placements for 3rd year require a full driving license.
What's the cheapest method to getting a full driving license?
Who does the 'lowest price' lessons?
Mr.Econometrics
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Joyful_soul)
What's the cheapest method to getting a full driving license?
Who does the 'lowest price' lessons?
Depends on where you live, many do student discount too.
Joyful_soul
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mr.Econometrics)
Depends on where you live, many do student discount too.
I live in Lancashire

Cool, how much off?

How do I compare to find the cheapest school?
Mr.Econometrics
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Joyful_soul)
I live in Lancashire

Cool, how much off?

How do I compare to find the cheapest school?
About £3 off a lesson, which does add up as quite a significant saving in the long run. People that your friends/family have used? Internet? I found my instructor through a friend.
Orange s0da
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Cheap lessons up front don't necessarily mean cheap in the long run as the instructor may draw out the lessons. Getting your theory done asap should speed up the process
BrownEyedGirl92
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Orange s0da)
Cheap lessons up front don't necessarily mean cheap in the long run as the instructor may draw out the lessons. Getting your theory done asap should speed up the process
This. You get what you pay for. I'd rather spend a little more and half a decent instructor.
larusfuscus
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes it is worth learning.

But, as mentioned above, you absolutely do not want to pick an instructor on price. If possible get a personal recommendation from someone else who has learned locally and then have a couple of lessons to make sure that you like the instructor. Also, take as many lessons as YOU think you need to be sure that you are ready. It will be cheaper than having to do the test multiple times...
sophiamarni
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
yes im 17 and i only drive because it will benefit me in the future my tests nextmonth
RibenaRockstar
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Better to learn to drive when you don't *need* to immediately than be 26 and offered a great job that you need a car to get to and have to turn it down.
x-Venezia-x
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I never regret learning to drive. I can't believe I lived without a car for so long lol I passed my test when I was 20.

Posted from TSR Mobile
InArduisFouette
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Orange s0da)
While an indepedent instructor with a long established record of grade 5 and 6 assessments may be a few pounds a lesson more expensive, they will probably cost you less overall than some red badger / grade 4 adi working for one of the chains and following a fixed set of lesson plans.
NatashaLee
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I would definitely say it's a good idea to start learning now, driving is a good skill to have, as others had say it allows you independence etc, and also further down the line should you need to drive you would already have everything sorted.

Finding a good instructor is obviously going to be key, again as other people have said going with the instructor who had the lowest price may mean you compromise quality so be careful, however that said it is possible to get a decent instructor at a decent rate.

I used to pay £20 an hours for my lessons, and my instructor was second to none imo
He taught me well, helped me a lot and I passed in really good time and I though I paid a very reasonable rate

If you can, I'd try ask friends/family even possibly neighbours if you know of any who have recently passed, for recommendations.

Good Luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (129)
14.61%
I'm not sure (40)
4.53%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (265)
30.01%
I have already dropped out (22)
2.49%
I'm not a current university student (427)
48.36%

Watched Threads