The Student Room Group

Putting in your English education record in an American application

I'm very confused as to what I need to do with my GCSE and AS grades. Nowhere in the Common App does it ask international students for their grades in exams in their own country. How am I supposed to show and prove to the US Universities my grades?

Also, in the Common App, there is also a section on something called 'Honors' which I'm sure isn't the same as the English version of honours. What are Honors in terms of American English and do I need them?
Reply 1
Please read this and ask your guidance counsellor/teachers involved to read this.
Reply 2
Ah, I see, I've come across these documents before but didn't read through the counselor's guide carefully.
This answers the first question, but nowhere in these two documents does it say what 'honors' are supposed to be. Any quick answers for that?
Reply 3
Original post by Pilz
Ah, I see, I've come across these documents before but didn't read through the counselor's guide carefully.
This answers the first question, but nowhere in these two documents does it say what 'honors' are supposed to be. Any quick answers for that?

It's not relevant. In the US system they are classes placed above standard classes but below AP classes in difficulty.
Reply 4
Original post by feyy
It's not relevant. In the US system they are classes placed above standard classes but below AP classes in difficulty.

I see, but then why does it involve different levels of recognition, 'school', 'regional', 'national' and 'international'?
Reply 5
Ahhh sorry. I thought you meant the classes. In that case, take it to mean "Awards".
Reply 6
Unrelated, but could anyone tell me whether UK schools are run under 'semester' or 'trimester' system? for example, my school has 6 terms with half terms in between
Reply 7
Original post by Pilz
I'm very confused as to what I need to do with my GCSE and AS grades. Nowhere in the Common App does it ask international students for their grades in exams in their own country. How am I supposed to show and prove to the US Universities my grades?

Also, in the Common App, there is also a section on something called 'Honors' which I'm sure isn't the same as the English version of honours. What are Honors in terms of American English and do I need them?

You need to send in an official school 'transcript' to the colleges you want to apply to - that is the only way they can verify your grades. What is put on the transcript is dependent on your school but it must include your grades from Year 10 to the first term of Year 13.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending