This discussion is closed.
wiwarin_mir
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Why is it that you can never have enough codecs, no matter how often you update, you will get to a point where you download something that will not work.
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by wiwarin_mir)
Why is it that you can never have enough codecs, no matter how often you update, you will get to a point where you download something that will not work.
cant you codec match it with a site or something
wiwarin_mir
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheWolf)
cant you codec match it with a site or something
no. Even media player, divX or winDVD which all have codec grabbers in case you download a codec if needed, can find one for this one avi file.
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
no. Even media player, divX or winDVD which all have codec grabbers in case you download a codec if needed, can find one for this one avi file.
maybe its just a dodgy file.
wiwarin_mir
Rep:
?
(Original post by elpaw)
I don't think so as I can hear the sound, just not the video. The most annoying thing is, it is episode 64 of naruto, which I really want to see.
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
Referring to the content of the video or the file extentions etc?
wiwarin_mir
Rep:
?
(Original post by piginapoke)
Have a look at the video file with a hex editor. The codec name is usually stuck in there in ascii near the start of the file.
I really cannot be bothered to look for a hex editor and then open a 141MB file to look at the codec
wiwarin_mir
Rep:
?
(Original post by 2776)
the file extention is an avi. The most annoying thing is that I downloaded it in a pack of 10 files, and the others I have finished downloading work fine.
wiwarin_mir
Rep:
?
:rolleyes: Finding a free hex editor takes about 2 seconds using google, downloading and installing it takes a minute, opening the file takes a few more... you could have it done in 2 minutes flat no problem.
but I am re-downloading the file, so that is sucking up most of my bandwidth, and I hate slow internet.
Fly By
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
over teh years i've manage to nail it down to three codecs that seem to be able to play anything. (Well anything i downloaded so far)
wiwarin_mir
Rep:
?
(Original post by Fly By)
over teh years i've manage to nail it down to three codecs that seem to be able to play anything. (Well anything i downloaded so far)
and they would be?
wiwarin_mir
Rep:
?
Just open it with a text editor then, works just the same. The codec name is in the first line, the second human-readable thing you can see.
again, this would take ages and sakura might get annoyed and crashed
Fly By
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
and they would be?
well this is for videos: DivX, Xvid, AC3

hope it helps
elpaw
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
I mean maybe it was encoded properly with a normal, popular codec, but somewhere along the way a few bits have degraded rendering it unviewable.

remember, with most videos, the sound is usually put in a seperate place in the file, so if the video has degraded, the sound will usually still work.
hornblower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I used to have that trouble. This was until I downloaded the K-lite codec pack. The Mega version has basically everything you need.

http://www.k-litecodecpack.com/

It comes with GSpot, which I used before anyway, which analyses video files and tells you which codecs a file uses, and if you have or need them.
Fly By
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
codecpacks usually cause trouble, coz they install more codecs then you need.
wiwarin_mir
Rep:
?
Possible but videos can use separate codecs for the audio and video streams, you need both to see and hear; if you only have the audio codec you'll see but not hear...
one good thing about having broadband is it only takes about an hour and a half to download a replacement episode
elpaw
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
one good thing about having broadband is it only takes about an hour and a half to download a replacement episode
an hour and a half? you call that broadband? you should be at uni.
wiwarin_mir
Rep:
?
(Original post by elpaw)
an hour and a half? you call that broadband? you should be at uni.
I have the advantage of not having all the security measures as I control sakura's security, so I can download using anything.
hornblower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Fly By)
codecpacks usually cause trouble, coz they install more codecs then you need.
I don't see why that should cause trouble.

The K-lite codec pack in particular is well regarded. It's from the same stable as Kazaa lite.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (41)
20.2%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (48)
23.65%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (35)
17.24%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (43)
21.18%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (20)
9.85%
I haven't started researching yet (16)
7.88%

Watched Threads