Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Why is it that you can never have enough codecs, no matter how often you update, you will get to a point where you download something that will not work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    Why is it that you can never have enough codecs, no matter how often you update, you will get to a point where you download something that will not work.
    cant you codec match it with a site or something

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    cant you codec match it with a site or something
    no. Even media player, divX or winDVD which all have codec grabbers in case you download a codec if needed, can find one for this one avi file.

ReputationRep:
    no. Even media player, divX or winDVD which all have codec grabbers in case you download a codec if needed, can find one for this one avi file.
    maybe its just a dodgy file.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    I don't think so as I can hear the sound, just not the video. The most annoying thing is, it is episode 64 of naruto, which I really want to see.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    Referring to the content of the video or the file extentions etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Have a look at the video file with a hex editor. The codec name is usually stuck in there in ascii near the start of the file.
    I really cannot be bothered to look for a hex editor and then open a 141MB file to look at the codec

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    the file extention is an avi. The most annoying thing is that I downloaded it in a pack of 10 files, and the others I have finished downloading work fine.

ReputationRep:
    :rolleyes: Finding a free hex editor takes about 2 seconds using google, downloading and installing it takes a minute, opening the file takes a few more... you could have it done in 2 minutes flat no problem.
    but I am re-downloading the file, so that is sucking up most of my bandwidth, and I hate slow internet.

ReputationRep:
    over teh years i've manage to nail it down to three codecs that seem to be able to play anything. (Well anything i downloaded so far)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fly By)
    over teh years i've manage to nail it down to three codecs that seem to be able to play anything. (Well anything i downloaded so far)
    and they would be?

ReputationRep:
    Just open it with a text editor then, works just the same. The codec name is in the first line, the second human-readable thing you can see.
    again, this would take ages and sakura might get annoyed and crashed

ReputationRep:
    and they would be?
    well this is for videos: DivX, Xvid, AC3

hope it helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    I mean maybe it was encoded properly with a normal, popular codec, but somewhere along the way a few bits have degraded rendering it unviewable.

remember, with most videos, the sound is usually put in a seperate place in the file, so if the video has degraded, the sound will usually still work.

ReputationRep:
    I used to have that trouble. This was until I downloaded the K-lite codec pack. The Mega version has basically everything you need.

http://www.k-litecodecpack.com/

It comes with GSpot, which I used before anyway, which analyses video files and tells you which codecs a file uses, and if you have or need them.

ReputationRep:
    codecpacks usually cause trouble, coz they install more codecs then you need.

ReputationRep:
    Possible but videos can use separate codecs for the audio and video streams, you need both to see and hear; if you only have the audio codec you'll see but not hear...
    one good thing about having broadband is it only takes about an hour and a half to download a replacement episode

ReputationRep:
    one good thing about having broadband is it only takes about an hour and a half to download a replacement episode
    an hour and a half? you call that broadband? you should be at uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    an hour and a half? you call that broadband? you should be at uni.
    I have the advantage of not having all the security measures as I control sakura's security, so I can download using anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fly By)
    codecpacks usually cause trouble, coz they install more codecs then you need.
    I don't see why that should cause trouble.

The K-lite codec pack in particular is well regarded. It's from the same stable as Kazaa lite.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.