The Student Room Group

Had Bronchitis for 5 weeks, still not better

I used to see my doctor loads because I was always ill so I feel like I shouldn't drain NHS resources, I have asthma and am generally an ill person anyway and smoke for about a year. I've got to 30 days smoke free but during this time developed bronchitis, although I didn't see my GP in person, he diagnosed me over the phone and prescribed anti-biotics over the phone as he said the surgery was very busy. He said to ring back if I still wasn't better.

Its been about 3 weeks since I was on the antibiotics and I'm still not better, not sure if I'm becoming resistant to anitibiotics cos I'm on them quite a few times a year. I'm vomiting but not vomiting if that makes sense. When I cough my body does what you do when you vomit but nothing comes out, my chest crackles when I'm breathing in and I'm struggling to get over it. I was hoping it would go away on its own but im not sure it will. The only problem is I don't live near the doctors because I live in a village so I would struggle to actually get in to see a doctor.
You quit smoking right? It's quite common to have bronchitis after quitting, your lungs are shredding the tar and you cough your guts up to get rid of all the nasties, it's your cilia (the tiny hairs in your lungs) beginning to function normally again, so you're cough reflex gets better, I felt ill after quitting, sores in my mouth and coughing I never coughed while smoking so I was baffled after quitting, It should get better within 6 weeks if it doesnt go back to your doctor.
Reply 2
Original post by vickidc18
You quit smoking right? It's quite common to have bronchitis after quitting, your lungs are shredding the tar and you cough your guts up to get rid of all the nasties, it's your cilia (the tiny hairs in your lungs) beginning to function normally again, so you're cough reflex gets better, I felt ill after quitting, sores in my mouth and coughing I never coughed while smoking so I was baffled after quitting, It should get better within 6 weeks if it doesnt go back to your doctor.

Thanks yeah I've not smoked for 30 days but i have asthma appointment next week and m asthma nurse did my flu jab and said its good ive quit. I nearly passed out from coughing about 10 mins ago so my mum rang doctors and they got me on phone and said they think I could have pneumonia again so want to do some chest x-rays. I wanted it to just go away on its own though which is what I was hoping these past few weeks. I deff won't smoke again.

Quick Reply

Latest