The Student Room Group

Let's talk about deadlifts.

I must be doing something wrong. I always hear deadlifts are the easiest lift to get a lot of weight on. However, I've been struggling at the same weight for about 3 weeks now (I'm a newb so I hear I should be increasing every session pretty much). I'm progressing well in all my other lifts, but I can't get past 65kg which is pretty embarrassing (I weigh around 56kg). My grip is one of my biggest issues- I have stuck to double overhand grip in an attempt to strengthen my grip but to no avail. Is my weight still too light to move to mixed grip for my heaviest set? Also would chalk/straps/ gloves be a worthwhile purchase? I see guys lifting like 4x what I can without chalk, surely it's not necessary? Getting increasingly frustrated with my deadlifts. In terms of routine I deadlift first, do 2 sets 50kg, a set 60kg then move on to 65kg. I managed 1x5 but it wasn't smooth, continuous lifts I had to stop and readjust myself and take a couple of seconds, is that okay?

TL;DR my deadlifts suck how can I improve

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

I heard Elliot say on one of Strengthcamp's videos that doing farmers walk exercise can help increase deadlift grip and form.

Just a suggestion..
I found chalk helped me loads. There's no right or wrong time to use it, if your hands are sweaty and slippy then you will benefit from it. I use it on a few of my lifts now just for extra security. Try a mixed grip too.

In terms of form I can be of much help because I do sumo deadlifts, they just feel more comfortable. However maybe you could film a set and then it would be easier to see where there might be weaknesses.
Several factors here

1) Your form could be off in which case video it - put it on youtube unlisted (so it's not public) and then post it on the technique thread and someone will get back to you
2) DOH is horrendous to progress on, chalk it up and learn hook and/or mixed grip
Or buy straps - just make sure you do other grip work if you go down this route
3) Your diet could be off - hence no progression
4) It could all be in your head
5) It could be your routine

So yeah, which one lol
Use a mixed grip and chalk, or you're going to find it pretty difficult. At the end of the day you deadlift to work your hamstrings, glutes and back, which is hard to do effectively if grip is the limiting factor.

Secondly can you explain what your programme is? You tell us how heavy your sets are but not the reps, and not necessarily what you're trying to do. I ask mainly because it's possible you've tired yourself out by the time you get to 65kg, if volume at only-a-little-lower weights is too high.
Don't stop progressing on your deadlift because of something like grip. Here's a good order for you to follow when you can't lift the weight. If one isn't working move to the next step.

1. Double overhand grip - The best for building grip strength because it's the conventional deadlift grip.
2. Chalk with double overhand grip - A little extra help and still gives you a chance to improve your grip.
3. Mixed grip - Slightly increased risk of a bicep injury, but the benefits far outweigh the potential risks. The downside is your grip strength doesn't get as much training as you would like. Generally keep this for your heavy work sets only.
4. Chalk with mixed grip
5. Wrist straps

This is pretty much what I follow. Try to do as many sets as you can with the standard grip so you can work on improving that grip strength. Don't make the mistake of just throwing some wrist straps on and avoiding the problem. These options are meant to deal with lagging grip not replace the need to train grip strength at all.

Also, I haven't mentioned the hook grip because I wouldn't recommend it for a novice. I avoid it myself because it hurts like hell. You're essentially pressing all the weight onto your thumb, so you can guess what that's going to feel like.
Original post by Rinsed
Use a mixed grip and chalk, or you're going to find it pretty difficult. At the end of the day you deadlift to work your hamstrings, glutes and back, which is hard to do effectively if grip is the limiting factor.

Secondly can you explain what your programme is? You tell us how heavy your sets are but not the reps, and not necessarily what you're trying to do. I ask mainly because it's possible you've tired yourself out by the time you get to 65kg, if volume at only-a-little-lower weights is too high.

Sorry, I do sets of five. So I would have done 10-15 deadlifts before I get to my heaviest set

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hermitthefrog
Sorry, I do sets of five. So I would have done 10-15 deadlifts before I get to my heaviest set

Posted from TSR Mobile

Deadlift is probably the most tiring exercise. If you think 65kg is around your 5rm, doing 60kgx5 is a significant workout in itself, and it's hardly surprising you're not then hitting 65kg.

Because it's so strenuous, most programmes recommend only one top end set for deadlift, i.e. 1x5, as opposed to squats or bench et cetera where multiple sets are encouraged. Anything you do before that should be warmups, intended to get you ready for the main set. What this means is that you want to do lots of reps with light weights, but as the weights get higher progressively lower the reps, to avoid fatigue.

For instance, I might do

20kgx5
20kgx5
30kgx4
40kgx3
50kgx2
60kgx1
65kgx5

...or something more along those lines.

That said at an early stage I don't want to get you to try to overcomplicate things, and I'm sure if you just add some chalk or change the grip you will put weight on the bar, but as you get better this is something I would seriously consider.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you're going for 65*5 you don't want to be doing sets of five at 50-60.

Assuming you have 10kg bumper plates I'd do:
40*5
50*2
60*1
65*5

Maybe a little bit more of you like a long warm up.
I must be doing something wrong. I always hear deadlifts are the easiest lift to get a lot of weight on. However, I've been struggling at the same weight for about 3 weeks now (I'm a newb so I hear I should be increasing every session pretty much). I'm progressing well in all my other lifts, but I can't get past 65kg which is pretty embarrassing (I weigh around 56kg). My grip is one of my biggest issues- I have stuck to double overhand grip in an attempt to strengthen my grip but to no avail. Is my weight still too light to move to mixed grip for my heaviest set? Also would chalk/straps/ gloves be a worthwhile purchase? I see guys lifting like 4x what I can without chalk, surely it's not necessary? Getting increasingly frustrated with my deadlifts. In terms of routine I deadlift first, do 2 sets 50kg, a set 60kg then move on to 65kg. I managed 1x5 but it wasn't smooth, continuous lifts I had to stop and readjust myself and take a couple of seconds, is that okay?

TL;DR my deadlifts suck how can I improve

Posted from TSR Mobile

Overhand / Underhand grip and chalk. 5x5 heavy to gain strength.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Lee R
Overhand / Underhand grip and chalk. 5x5 heavy to gain strength.

I always heard 5 sets heavy deadlift isn't necessary? Too tiring and stops you being able to pull the heaviest possible weight?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I always heard 5 sets heavy deadlift isn't necessary? Too tiring and stops you being able to pull the heaviest possible weight?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's all about TuT. By going 5x5 heavy your making your muscles really work hard. None of this 8-10 reps crap. If you want raw strength and muscle gains you need to lift heavy, eat correctly, hydrate and sleep.

I would also hit your 1RM on your off days - this may seem like overkill, but, I can tell you, for me at least, it really, really worked.
Original post by Lee R
It's all about TuT. By going 5x5 heavy your making your muscles really work hard. None of this 8-10 reps crap. If you want raw strength and muscle gains you need to lift heavy, eat correctly, hydrate and sleep.

I would also hit your 1RM on your off days - this may seem like overkill, but, I can tell you, for me at least, it really, really worked.

For a beginner deadlifter, this is all terrible advice.

Edit: I mean, the idea that you can hit a 1rm on an off-day. It's a contradiction in terms.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Rinsed

Edit: I mean, the idea that you can hit a 1rm on an off-day. It's a contradiction in terms.

I can only advise from my own experience. I had great gains using this technique. For example; my bench went from 30kg to 65kg in 4 weeks.

I personally don't think that's at all bad.
Chalk all the way. Essential for hitting your potential in deadlift.

Yes, it's ok to take a couple of seconds to reset grip between each rep when doing multiple reps.
Reply 15
Original post by Lee R
I can only advise from my own experience. I had great gains using this technique. For example; my bench went from 30kg to 65kg in 4 weeks.

Those are total noob lifts though, at that level anything more than looking at a bar will make you make gains.

Benching 65kg as a 70kg man is around the same level as a 55kg woman deadlifting 55kg for 1. Her deadlifting 65kg x5 is like 70kg man deadlifting 120 x5, it's not advance but it's not total noob. As you go past total noob level you'd do well to have more intelligent programming, especially in terms of managing rest. Deadlifting 5x5 then 1RM is a lot of stress and you'll quickly hit a point where rest management is a problem as you become strong enough to be lifting heavier weights.
Original post by Rinsed

This

Original post by Lee R

Hardly an outstanding achievement, 65kg is where some people start
Original post by BKS
Those are total noob lifts though, at that level anything more than looking at a bar will make you make gains.

Benching 65kg as a 70kg man is around the same level as a 55kg woman deadlifting 55kg for 1. Her deadlifting 65kg x5 is like 70kg man deadlifting 120 x5, it's not advance but it's not total noob. As you go past total noob level you'd do well to have more intelligent programming, especially in terms of managing rest. Deadlifting 5x5 then 1RM is a lot of stress and you'll quickly hit a point where rest management is a problem as you become strong enough to be lifting heavier weights.

This
Benching 65kg as a guy is pathetic.
Hilarious.

Peoples E-peen always get the best of them. No one is interested if these are "noob lifts" or that you can lift more, it's completely irellivent. People start from the bottom and have to work to lift more, you can say that's down to genetics or whatever you like - the fact is you have to start somewhere and everyone is different. In addition, the OP specifically stated that he was new.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by BKS

Arnold?